HELP: Beretta A400 vs. Benelli Super Vinci...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby CGSteve » Wed May 09, 2012 2:32 pm

I am shopping for a new rig for the coming season and need some feedback from those in the know.

I have had both on my shoulder and felt them out pretty well, everything short of shooting either...my last step will be feeling them side by side before pulling out the wallet. I love how they both feel.

I am currently shooting a Beretta and have a fondness for them; BUT, I am not against a Benelli either.

Can you folks help me get sorted between these two, one of them is coming home with me in the next month or two. I'd appreciate any feedback, experience, advice, etc.
CGSteve
hunter

Postby AR GWP » Wed May 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Same two guns I'm looking at. I'll be interested to see any answers.
AR GWP
Newb

Re: HELP: Beretta A400 vs. Benelli Super Vinci...

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

They are both acceptable firearms to be used in pursuing waterfowl.
They say that the Beretta is softer to shoot but the Benelli is more reliable. The Benelli feels a little bigger and clunkier to me. I've shot both and I think I'd like a Benelli but I already own a Beretta.

Release the Kracken.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed May 09, 2012 11:19 pm

aunt betty wrote:They are both acceptable firearms to be used in pursuing waterfowl.
They say that the Beretta is softer to shoot but the Benelli is more reliable. The Benelli feels a little bigger and clunkier to me. I've shot both and I think I'd like a Benelli but I already own a Beretta.

Release the Kracken.

really??? buddy bought an a/400 before season last year.. nice gun, but after shooting a SBE2 for so long, it just does not feel the same... i would compare the a/400 to the SX3 feel wise.

i can not vouch for the vinci..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Tyshe84 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:37 am

I got the A400 last year. Took it to AR and it performed flawlessly mixing between 3" and 3.5" and I shot great with it first time out. Its a good pointing gun. I finally got tired of shooting an 870 that was too short for me and the length/fit made a big difference. Problem is my 3 shells go too quick...
Tyshe84
hunter

Postby CGSteve » Mon May 14, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks for the responses so far...anyone else have any thoughts on why one is better/worse than the other?
CGSteve
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

The Benelli Vinci is mostly all plastic isn't it, excepting the barrel, I think Beretta is higher quality than Benelli. If I was going to pick between the two, I would take the Beretta and run. :smile:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Can't really go wrong with either. Aside from being ugly, I think the Vinci has the advantages of being easier to break down in the field and requiring less cleaning (inertia vs gas).
CutEm214
hunter

Postby casprig » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm

It might be too late by now Brother but hopefully you went with the Beretta A400. This gun is flawless in every aspect. I bought mine in January after seriously contemplating the Super Vinci. Yes, the common name and most reputable is Benelli....but the A400 has sunk the Vinci and SBE II. Next year, Benelli will come with something "better" then the following year Beretta will shoot them down again.
casprig
hunter

Postby casprig » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:58 pm

My response as I typed it was somehow shown incorrectly. I went with the A400 and not the Super Vinci. Beretta will whip a Benelli on any given day, from skeet to long range honkers.
casprig
hunter

Postby UnderDucker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm

I all comes down to personal preference and how if feels in your hands - and most importantly how it feels and patterns when you shoot it. I researched this to death (Beretta vs Benelli) and have come to the conclusion that Beretta wins. Someday I hope to have both guns, but for now it is Beretta for me. I prefer the gas system as well as the fit/finish of the Beretta.....especially when using it as an all purpose gun, shooting dove loads & heavy goose/duck loads.
UnderDucker
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm

I really like my Beretta. It's a soft shooter, and stuff dies when I pull the trigger. I like gas operated guns over inertia. That just what I've grown up cleaning them and shooting them, and that is really the only reason. My next gun will probably a Franchi Affinity in a 20 gauge for upland birds. I've this solely because of the price. Either way, you cannot go wrong. :thumbsup:
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby casprig » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 am

UnderDucker, you couldn't have said it any better that Brother.
casprig
hunter

Postby casprig » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 am

Perfect response, cuppedandkilled.
casprig
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 am

CutEm214 wrote:Can't really go wrong with either. Aside from being ugly, I think the Vinci has the advantages of being easier to break down in the field and requiring less cleaning (inertia vs gas).

I've been a Benelli fan for a while, but just got an A400 xtreme and it just don't get dirty like most gas guns. To be fair though, I ain't shot it enough for a good evaluation. Shot a SX3 last year and my second biggest complaint with it was getting burned powder in my eyes. It was a VERY dirty gun. That is not a problem with a Benelli, but we'll see with the A400.

I like the A400 enough that the SBE will have to pack his bags soon.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby Edge » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 am

I've had a the M1 and M2, my brother had the SBE. We both shoot the A400 Explor now, and another member of our club bought one last week after shooting mine. My daughter has ditched her Benelli and is now shooting my Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard. Hope this helps.
Edge
hunter

Postby ryandir » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am

I went to purchase in January after I narrowed it down to these two. I was leaning towards the A400 after spending hours reading forums and most chose the A400 by a slight margin. I went into the store and handled both and I walked out with the super vinci. A customer brought in a brand new Beretta A400 Xcel with a broken part so that kind of influenced me as well even though I know benellis have issues too. It just felt better to me when I held it. Personal preference like a lot of people say when you choose between a few. I've put about 500 rounds through it so far and I'm really happy with it. I have to make sure when I'm shooting trap that I use 1-1/8, 3 dram minimum to make sure it cycles 100% every time. I haven't had one problem with heavier shells (which I will be using for turkey and duck). I let the range officer at my club shoot it and he said he was amazed at how there was hardly any recoil while shooting it. It's very easy to clean and feels really solid. I wish Beretta had a website like Benelli with their video for tips and maintenance.

I also bought a Beretta 92FS so I'm not Benelli brain washed. I think you would be happy with either one.
ryandir
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:04 pm

If it is between just those two it is an easy decision. A400 Xtreme hands down. Shoot both with 3-3.5 loads side by side and tell me which one feels more pleasant to shoot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

ryandir wrote: It's very easy to clean and feels really solid. I wish Beretta had a website like Benelli with their video for tips and maintenance.

I also bought a Beretta 92FS so I'm not Benelli brain washed. I think you would be happy with either one.

Baretta has theirs as well and the A400 field striping/cleaning can be found on you tube. I went Baretta A400 my friend has the Super Vinci I can not say a bad thing about either one accept my A400 knocks down 10 times the birds, but he is a poor shot and doesn't get out as much as me LOL. I liked the SV when I shot it, it felt fine to me both are at the top of the class for semi auto shot guns it is like buying tow top end sports cars, not like a sports car and a honda civic LOL.

But saying that I just bought another Baretta based on the quality and craftmanship of my A400, i can't wait to get it in my hands.

Good luck
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby rcase1234 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I say Benelli. I love how is it is to take down the Vinci. Not that I have anything against Beretta but the Benelli really is just built for duck hunting. Just got clean it real good once a year and shoot it for the rest! Either way, both will be a great gun but that's just my $0.02
rcase1234
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 am

Shoot just read that he went with the Vinci... Sorry to re up the thread. Sorry your forced to shoot 1 1/8 oz or higher ;)

SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby ryandir » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 am

I bought a few boxes of 250 for $50 of the 1-1/8 so I was pretty happy with that, not sure what you guys pay in your area. Once I break it in a bit more I will try some lighter shells and see how it goes. Is there a huge cost difference using lighter shells to shoot trap? Is it better to use heavier shells if you are practicing and getting ready to use the 3" and 3.5" for duck?

Thanks.

SAHunter1983 wrote:Shoot just read that he went with the Vinci... Sorry to re up the thread. Sorry your forced to shoot 1 1/8 oz or higher ;)

ryandir
hunter

Postby DocBrown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am

I have a SuperVinci and I do like it alot. The breakdown and cleaning is a pleasure. I have never had a problem with the gun that wasnt my own fault. My only complaint is that with heavier 3.5" loads it bucks and the trigger guard beats the heck out of my middle finger on my trigger hand. Even now, a few weeks after I last used the gun, the brusie is gone but I have a nice knot on the finger. I wear it as a badge of honor.

That being said, I have been toying with the idea of picking up the A400. I think it is an absolutely gorgeous gun. I am not sure of the differences between them all and I think it would be horrible to get the Xtreme in camo. Anyway, my thoughts.
DocBrown
Newb

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 pm

I too have had the Vinchi and Super black eagle II's. it is a really nice gun and it shoots and performs flawlessly. I dont think anyone who has used one can find much negative to say about them. They are inertia guns they do recoil more than a gas gun but hunting that dont bother me one bit.

Like the above guy just mentioned I too had the same middle finger busting experience and trophy days are done for me. I now have what I think is going to be a permanent knot there. It hurts like a ****. During season it was almost the size of a marble, now just a half marble and nice scar. I dealt with it for 2 seasons and I now own a Beretta A400 and an Extrema 2 (since season closed). I have shot both of these guns several times and really like them. No cycling issues even with light 2 3/4 shells and I have also shot heavy 3.5" duck loads and no finger thump whatsoever. These are also very easy guns to assemble/take apart, like the Benelli. I wished I could give you an A plus field rating on the Beretta's but I have yet to hunt with them. I will tell you if they perform half as good as my Benelli's did I will be satisfied. Just be advised of the "benelli"finger thumping you may get.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby ryandir » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I heard a lot about the finger issue on heavy loads with the vinci before I purchased my super vinci. From what I was told they made the trigger guard larger on the super vinci after this became an issue. I shot a box of 10, 3.5 inch steel shells at the range and didn't have any problems with my finger. I had a bruise on my shoulder afterwords though. Good thing we only use these shells for hunting.

jstewart_1981 wrote:I too have had the Vinchi and Super black eagle II's. it is a really nice gun and it shoots and performs flawlessly. I dont think anyone who has used one can find much negative to say about them. They are inertia guns they do recoil more than a gas gun but hunting that dont bother me one bit.

Like the above guy just mentioned I too had the same middle finger busting experience and trophy days are done for me. I now have what I think is going to be a permanent knot there. It hurts like a ****. During season it was almost the size of a marble, now just a half marble and nice scar. I dealt with it for 2 seasons and I now own a Beretta A400 and an Extrema 2 (since season closed). I have shot both of these guns several times and really like them. No cycling issues even with light 2 3/4 shells and I have also shot heavy 3.5" duck loads and no finger thump whatsoever. These are also very easy guns to assemble/take apart, like the Benelli. I wished I could give you an A plus field rating on the Beretta's but I have yet to hunt with them. I will tell you if they perform half as good as my Benelli's did I will be satisfied. Just be advised of the "benelli"finger thumping you may get.
ryandir
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum