benelli super black eagle vs winchester x2

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

benelli super black eagle vs winchester x2

Postby pigeon-jones » Tue May 30, 2006 2:22 pm

I CANT DECIDE ON WHICH GUN TO BUY I NEED ADVISE ON WHICH GUN IS BETTER?
pigeon-jones
Newb

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:25 pm

Both are great guns and you can't go wrong with either one. The SBE will be less maintenance because of the inertia system but will kick harder. The Winchester SX2 will kick less but you will have to clean it more often. Some people swear by one while others swear by the other. Again, you can't go wrong with either one. Both are very reliable shotguns.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby plainsman » Tue May 30, 2006 9:02 pm

The SX2 has a much better trackrecord and higher user satisfaction ratio than SBE.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Tue May 30, 2006 9:56 pm

I can say from experience that it is a easy and fast to get parts for a SX2 if you need them, and they have great customer service. Last year there were 5 guys hunting with me in our field pit , started out with 2 of us shooting SX2's , buy the end of the season there were 5.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Tue May 30, 2006 10:04 pm

plainsman
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:02 pm Post subject:
The SX2 has a much better trackrecord and higher user satisfaction ratio than SBE.

Where did you find that info. Just Curious.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:35 pm

you'll be happy with either gun... have you felt them both yet? that is the #1 most important aspect when buying a gun imo... you could spend as much money as you want, but if it doesnt shoulder right, you will hate it :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby raidersboy » Wed May 31, 2006 8:06 am

plainsman wrote:The SX2 has a much better trackrecord and higher user satisfaction ratio than SBE.

LINK PLEASE!

Don't tout your opinion as fact.
"There's no such thing as too much ammo"

raidersboy
raidersboy
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Wed May 31, 2006 8:31 am

Either way you go, your going to get a good gun. I would make the decision based on how they feel. go to the store and shoulder them both. go a few different times and do that. then you will get a good idea of what gun fits you best. As far as how long it takes to clean, i kind of enjoy cleaning my guns so it doesn't matter to me how long it takes. :thumbsup:
BurnZ
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed May 31, 2006 9:08 am

Which one is made in AMERICA????????? :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed May 31, 2006 1:07 pm

Go with the one that fits better. That is the better shotgun for you, but if they both feel good to ya...then go with the SX2 (or the Gold).
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby ksubigbuck » Wed May 31, 2006 5:11 pm

SX2 no question. Bennellis are overpriced from over-seas crap. I'm not going to give Guido my money.
ksubigbuck
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:35 am

Jim Broadbridge wrote:Which one is made in AMERICA????????? :smile:

100% - Neither?
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:46 am

News flash...almost everything you buy is made overseas, incl8uding the majority of guns produced by american gun companies.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:07 am

I wonder how well off we would be if everything were made in country? Imagine no competition with foreign automobile manufacturers, no competing on appliances, phones, electronics, clothes, guns, or equipment. What would it be like if we closed our borders to all foreign trade, no foreign oil imports, no refugees, nor resident aliens. Would we survive, and if we did would you still have the high paying job you have or would you be forced in to lower wages, poor working conditions, and possibly some of the worst medical care available. Would you be able to afford the hunting clothes, ammo guns taxes or even to have a lease.

I just wonder what it would be like? Have you ever thought about it? After I read this topic last night I did quite a bit of research and I was amazed how much of the stuff I own is manufactured, has part of it manufactured is assembled outside the US on foreign soil.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 am

Yes, and I think about it constantly. Every thing we buy is made in China and elsewhere in Europe. Ontario is largely a manufacturing Province and our industry is dissappearing at an alarming rate. Since "Free Trade" it is impossible to compete on the world market. My wife was just informed that her place of employmet is closing up. My biggest concern is for the younger folks that didn't get a collage or university education that traditionlly end up working in a factory, there will be no place for them to go. I certainly don't have an anwser but it is a concern. First we lost industry to Mexico and now it's China. I don't believe we as consumers are reaping the benifits of cheap labour overseas but the middle men are making fists full of dollars. :pissed:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby plainsman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Back to the original question........SX2 vs sbe
Not links needed... just open your eyes, look around and read the comments that current and former users have of both these guns.
The SX2 has a very high ratio of customer satisfaction and a few lemons. The sbe ratio is about 50-50......pretty poor in my books.
Even Baikal and Mossberg have better customer ratings than that.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:57 pm

I anguished in pain for some time as I made this very same decision, the result, I have a Winchester Super X2 in shadowgrass on layaway at scheels right now. Why did I go this route?

1. Cost, I saved about 600 bucks over a new SBE II which were going at 1400, just under 1500 after taxes. I am paying 900 for a new Winchester with the same capabilities.

2. Reputation, since I have more time than money I did a ton of research on the internet and also asking as many as I could about the Winchesters. I found that there are VERY, VERY few people at least localy that have had problems with the SX2. Several of the salemen around my area use and trust these guns themselves despite getting dealer pricing on the SBE II's.

3. Fit and feel. The winchester feels like a gun to me, the SBE II lacks weight ( It should have more being a serious waterfowl gun ) and feels almost toyish, although a very nice toy. Some don't like the weight but I do, so I went with it. When I get it home I will wring it out and let you all know more.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:47 pm

As far a customer service goes, with more sales goes an increase ratio of problems. I get a daily report on aircraft incidents, crashes, hard landings, power failures, etc. The company I work for nearly everyday has an aircraft on there, some times 2, That doesn't mean we are a poor manufacturer, it just means we have a larger market, over 60% of the market world wide. The majority of these mishaps are pilot or maintenance errors, not manufacturing errors. I highly doubt that 50% of Benelli’s product is defective based on a manufacturing error, I would be inclined to change my mind if it could be backed up with factual documents. I have 3 Benelli's, A SBE II, A M2 and a Nova, so I am destined to have one of the three guns go sour, well thankfully that hasn't happened yet. I get tired of reading people's factual statements, now if you don't like a particular gun, I can accept that. I have over 120 rifles, shotguns and handguns from just about every known maker, and I have favorites, and I have some I dislike, hate to a point, but it isn't the guns fault, because I loved it when I brought it home. I usually report my experience with a particular gun and with the SBE II I have had no problems, no failure to cycles, no jams, nothing. I did install the Sure Cycle in both the Benelli autos, but it wasn't for fear of a problem, I wanted them, and that was my sole purpose for changing them. I love Winchester rifles, I have several Winchester shotguns, but would I buy another, no. If I did it would have to be a very unique gun. I have never had any problems with any of my guns, except maybe a grouping issue, and the majority of the time it was a combination of things that I could correct very easily. I have 2 Beretta 686’s and a O/U that was brought back from Turkey that I couldn’t even begin to tell you who made the gun or what any of the writing says on it. It was brought back after a company sponsored training trip, and I shot enough birds with it in Turkey to make me a believer in it, and make it a favorite over the 2 Beretta’s. I paid $180 US, and cost me about $50 to get it home. I have had the gun for over 8 years without a single misfire. The whole this company has poor service versus this company is outdated, every company has problems, I don’t care what the product or how long it has been in production, if you make enough of them there is certainly going to be some lemons.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:04 pm

Predicate your decision on the following.

1. Fit.
If the gun doesn't fit it won't matter what brand you buy - your shooting experience will suck.

2. Quality
At the level of the guns your talking about the only way things could go bad is if you got a lemon.

3. Reliability
I have to give the nod to the SBE on this one. Its a simpler design and even if it gets clogged with tule bits you can just take it down in the blind or on the levee, wipe it off and you are good to go.

4. Budget
If they both fit then you need to determine if the extra dollars spent on the SBE should go to something else (ammo, dekes, kid's college fund). A lot of that extra money you will spend on the B gun goes into advertising - not actual R&D.

5. Do you have the fever for one or the other? If so, wait on buying. The fever will eventually wear off and you might regret your decision.

All that said, I do shoot the SBE 1 as my primary duck gun. The recoil doesn't bother me (the joy of being a fat guy) but I've shot both and think both guns are excellent. Had I the extra cash? I would by the SX2 in a heartbeat. I've shot that one enough to want one in the safe.

Good luck with your decision and post up pics of whatever you get.
:thumbsup:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Mallard Man » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:26 pm

you cant even compare a benelli to a sx2 benelli is the best
Mallard Man
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:53 am

Benelli all the way!!!
steelcommander
hunter

Postby twelve_bore » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm

I have a Super Black Eagle 1 and have had NO maintenance issues with it. You can't go wrong with a SBE and------if you choose to sell it sometime (I don't know why) the Benelli will bring top dollar.
twelve_bore
hunter

Postby Dhdoyle » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:59 pm

Well, since we've been advised not post opinions as fact, let me tell you about my hunting group. Two people have used SBE's for the last couple years. One has an X2. We're in central Wyoming and none of the 3 is mine. The X2 has performed flawlessly for the two years I've been around. Both SBEs have had serious problems. I think both owners are trading them in.

The best theory I've heard is that the SBE is much more twitchy in cold weather. Some point to possible problems with getting the right lubrication at low temperatures.

My personal observation is that the loudest fans of the SBE are in the South where the weather is warmer. Where there is snow on the ground, I'd ask for an X2/Browning Gold or a Beretta instead of the SBE.

Cheers!
Dave
Dhdoyle
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum