nova 12ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

nova 12ga

Postby littleone » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:14 am

i would like to reduce the end of the stock, i need to make it alittle shorter to fit my shoulder better. shorter lop. does anyone know if you can saw off a inch or so and put the pad back in place. thanks
if the first shot doesnt work shoot again !
littleone
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:28 am

I would contact Benelli first. Maybe you can put a 20 gauge stock on it. I know the 20 gauge is shorter.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 pm

If it's a wooden stock then yes. Thats how i got my first gun to fit, my dad cut of some of the stock with a bansaw. Just don't cut off too much! Take off a quarter inch at a time then screw the pad back in and see how it fits, Once you've grown a little then you can purchase a new stock. If its the sinthetic stock then I don't know. but I'm sure someone else here will chime in here and give you some more advice. :thumbsup:
BurnZ
hunter

Postby littleone » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 am

its a composit stock, i have tried to contact the company havent emailed me in a week, any more sugestions out there.
if the first shot doesnt work shoot again !
littleone
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:05 am

You can cut composite stocks in alot of cases. But you have to be careful not to fray the ends of the cuts. My suggestion is to measure a good LOP and cut your stock to those dimensions. As things change go and purchase recoil pad spacers which can be as thick as 1/2" this will prevent you from having to purchase a new stock
C12
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby poacher » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:21 am

You need to remove the existing recoil pad first. Look at the but end of the stock to see if it is solid or hollow. Most likely hollow. Then, look to see where the recoil pad attaches, after you cut, you may not have enough material to reattach the pad. That means you would need to use a slip over type. I successfully cut the composite stock of my mossberg. I used a horizontal band saw, no frays. I did however find a replacement stock ready to order in case i screwed it up. I attempted to get a gunsmith to cut the stock but i couldnt find one that would cut the composite.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:31 am

I ran into the same issue when I wanted to trim down my composite stock. No gunsmith wanted to do it.

The only other option would be use the templates from Limb Saver, after you cut the stock. Worst case, you have to use a slip on.

Kind of depends on the gun. I might do that to my old 870 but probably not my newer guns.

Just a thought.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby MexicanDuck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:29 am

Take it to your local gunsmith. It shouldn't be that much trouble to shorten.
MexicanDuck
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:37 am

poacher wrote:You need to remove the existing recoil pad first. Look at the but end of the stock to see if it is solid or hollow. Most likely hollow. Then, look to see where the recoil pad attaches, after you cut, you may not have enough material to reattach the pad.

:withstupid:

make sure you do this first!! for a couple reasons actually, one..you need to make sure you can re-attach your recoil pad after the cut and two - the Benelli has a recoil reducing system that is incorporated in that stock area. when you remove your recoil pad you should see a hole where a mercury-recoil reducing cylinder can be installed..it would be a good idea to make sure that shortening the stock will not interfere with this system (if you have it installed) or if you have future plans on installing it.

other than those words of caution..shouldn't be a problem to do. I have a couple of guns that have been cut down to various sizes. slip on recoil pads are probably the way you will end up going. soooo much easier. :salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum