Rusty 870

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Rusty 870

Postby Boathunter » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:55 pm

I have a 1 yr old remington 870 wingmaster supermag 3.5 It is a great gun and i use it on everything from doves to ducks. Only problem is the rust that easily forms on the scrollwork on the side of the reciever. The barrel doesnt rust just the reciever. Has anyone else had this happen?
If men couldn't hunt, what would we do? ...Golf?
Boathunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:26 pm

Would camo dipping help?
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:17 pm

Do you leave it in the gun case after hunting with it?
mccree79
hunter

Postby twoscoots » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:13 pm

put some rigs' gun grease on it! I have the 3.5" 870 in the black syn. and I ended up camo painting mine. The first time I used it was in the dove field and the next day it had a fine powder coat of rust on it! I saw the writing on the wall , and went out and found the paint that I wanted and sprayed her' down. no more rust! ( of course I also use a lil' 3 n 1 oil to keep it happy after I mistreat it in the swamps and fields!
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:03 pm

I've got a 870 super mag and if you put it in the case after hunting, especially if hat has any moisture on it, then it's gonna rust. A little remoil takes it off mine. But I've had my gun for 6 years and a little rust doesn't bother me any. Helps camo the gun. :yes: :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:05 pm

Why on gods green earth would you camo paint a wingmaster. Wingmaster's have the gloss finish on them to be pretty on the uplands. Don't ruin it by painting over it. I rusted the crap out of my reciever after one hunt. It is only an upland gun now. I saved up and bought a gun to replace it in the marsh.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Boathunter » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:22 am

Yea i bought the wingmaster because of its looks and there is no way i am going to camo dip it. I guess i'll just be more careful with it when taking out to the duck pond.
If men couldn't hunt, what would we do? ...Golf?
Boathunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:23 pm

sorry on gods earth I missed the wingmaster part. I was expecting the 870 express since they are usually the ones to rust.

Sorry.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:25 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Why on gods green earth would you camo paint a wingmaster. Wingmaster's have the gloss finish on them to be pretty on the uplands. Don't ruin it by painting over it. I rusted the crap out of my reciever after one hunt. It is only an upland gun now. I saved up and bought a gun to replace it in the marsh.

Why on gods earth would you waterfowl with a wingmaster? I waterfowl with guns that I don't care about.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Dad bought it for me, and it was either it or my deceased Grandpa's BPS that still looks new. Dad would've killed me if I took the BPS. I knew it was stupid as hell when I did it, but I was only 16 and kinda young and stupid. And thank you 98Ramtough I deserved that.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:20 am

ks-

Just giving you a hard time man. I want a wingmaster bad, just to look at. They are the prettiest gun IMO.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:10 pm

a rusty Remington....doesn't surprise me in the least......especially the parkerized finish......but if you have a true wingmaster I am amazed that there is rust in the scroll work.....maybe the scrolling got 'damaged' during cleaning and is down to the bare finish with no bluing.....if so, you may wish to re-blue.....and use some corrosion X or some other protective product

Hey....I hunt salt water almost all the time, and I have no rust on any of my guns, some are expensive and one I even bought as a trash gun....but with a little general care of cleaning properly, not one speck of rust .......and that trash gun ($148) is in perfect condition after 6 years in the salt marshes or on the Atlantic!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Carolina_Commander » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:45 am

i give my guns a good cleaning after each trip out. They don't have a spot
of rust on 'em. juse keep it clean and put a little gun grease in the scroll work :thumbsup:
Quack'em, Whack'em, and Stack'em in a Muddy Bloody Pile
Carolina_Commander
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:47 pm

the wingmasters are sweet i would like one too.a super mag. i wouldnt think a wingmaster would rust very easy either.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:58 pm

My wingmaster rusted bad, but I hunted in the rain for 5 hours, then went home and fell asleep, so the rust had an 18 jour head start.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum