Who has Actually TRIED Wingshooting with a Reflex Sight?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Who has Actually TRIED Wingshooting with a Reflex Sight?

Postby POKER1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Reflex Sight-
Don't want to knock it too much, or knock anyone who uses 'em.

There's really no "right" way to say this without sounding like a complete azz, so lemme' apologize up front before I say it-

It really seems to me, (like various other modern "conveniences"), that it takes away the neccessity to really learn how to shoot a friggin' shotgun, similar to the convenience of clicking a mouse and getting instant information.

If one could take the time to learn how to follow through with your swing on a shot, it would certainly seem to me you could save yourself some money and you wouldn't need one.

Sorry for the negativity guys,... Geeze man, ya' gotta' MISS a target before you really learn how to HIT one,.. and they, (reflex sights), seem to me to be like a set of training wheels on a bicycle.
:beer:

:biggrin: Who said your way was the right way, for everyone that is? What makes one way "The proper and only way to do it". If the end result is that you as an individual can make clean ethical kills I dont care if you have radar on your gun. Equipment is ever evolving and that doesnt mean its a crutch or gimick just because it doesnt adhear to the "old ways". The old ways had me hunting in jeans, rubber knee boots that filled with water on every hunt and a Korean war era OD field jacket my uncle brought back from the war. I froze my arse off back then. I had less than a dozen old decoys that was missing most of the paint and 1 worn out wooden call a neighbor gave me. Times have surely changed for the better for me.......... :biggrin:
POKER1
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm

I see a lot of similarities between golf equipment and shooting
optics. Technology has made both shooting and golf more enjoyable.
I have never been very good with a handgun, I don't practice as
much as I should either. I get out of it what I put into it.
Last year I bought a semi auto .22 and a cheap red dot. I LOVE it.
I can actually hit with it. would I like to be a crack shot with
open sights? Sure. Do I want to spend the time and money? Not so much.
Kinda like hitting my 4 iron, I ditched it for a hybred.

"A man has to know his limitations"- Clint Eastwood. By that I mean
some people are just naturally better shooters than others. If you've
never felt the frustration of shooting a lot and not getting any better
or aging and your eyesight changing then be thankful. I seem to
struggle the most when I'm hunting with other people. I have to
figure that one out myself. For people to to use legal technology
to get more enjoyment/confidence out of a sport they love, I can't
begrudge that. Lets face it you still have to hit the bird right?
It's not like this technology automatically drops birds from the sky.

For all you that put in the time and and effort and are natural shooters,
that's great. I don't have any optics on my shotguns. I'm still plugging away
at the range, hoping I'll get better. I don't count out in the future getting
one though. As for golf, I don't even own a 2,3, or 4 iron anymore...just sayin'
TopWop
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm

POKER1 wrote:

There's really no "right" way to say this without sounding like a complete azz, so lemme' apologize up front before I say it-

It really seems to me, (like various other modern "conveniences"), that it takes away the neccessity to really learn how to shoot a friggin' shotgun, similar to the convenience of clicking a mouse and getting instant information.

If one could take the time to learn how to follow through with your swing on a shot, it would certainly seem to me you could save yourself some money and you wouldn't need one.

Sorry for the negativity guys,... Geeze man, ya' gotta' MISS a target before you really learn how to HIT one,.. and they, (reflex sights), seem to me to be like a set of training wheels on a bicycle.

:biggrin: Who said your way was the right way, for everyone that is? What makes one way "The proper and only way to do it". If the end result is that you as an individual can make clean ethical kills I dont care if you have radar on your gun. Equipment is ever evolving and that doesnt mean its a crutch or gimick just because it doesnt adhear to the "old ways". The old ways had me hunting in jeans, rubber knee boots that filled with water on every hunt and a Korean war era OD field jacket my uncle brought back from the war. I froze my arse off back then. I had less than a dozen old decoys that was missing most of the paint and 1 worn out wooden call a neighbor gave me. Times have surely changed for the better for me.......... :biggrin:

Are you saying there's NO right way to lead a target and follow through with a swing on a covey of quail, or even a Bufflehead battin' it with a 25 knot. wind on his arse?.. without a reflex sight that is?
Can YOU be successful on these kind of shots without bells and whistles on your gun?..THAT'S the question. If you can't, then I'd believe it's safe to say that you haven't learned how to shoot a shotgun to the best of your ability yet. There's only one way to learn how to shoot a shotgun or any other firearm, and that's to shoot it.

If all the sattelites fell out of orbit and blew up, I'd pity the poor folks lost at sea, (or even small inland waters), because they don't have a clue how to read a compass.. :wink:

:hi:
Last edited by swampbilly 1980 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lyrikz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:11 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
POKER1 wrote:

So what about other rifles. Do you hunt deer with no scopes and iron sites? I see nothing wrong with using a site. Its like the bow hunters giving the rifle people a bad time for cheating when using a rifle.

Are you saying there's NO right way to lead a target and follow through with a swing on a covey of quail, or even a Bufflehead battin' it with a 25 knot. wind on his arse?.. without a reflex sight that is?
Can YOU be successful on these kind of shots without bells and whistles on your gun?..THAT'S the question. If you can't, then I'd believe it's safe to say that you haven't learned how to shoot a shotgun to the best of your ability yet. There's only one way to learn how to shoot a shotgun or any other firearm, and that's to shoot it.

If all the sattelites fell out of orbit and blew up, I'd pity the poor folks lost at sea, (or even small inland waters), because they don't have a clue how to read a compass.. :wink:
:hi:
lyrikz
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:59 pm

******Update*******

I'm still convinced that the Trijicon RMR mounted on the SpeedBead mount via the RM37 adapter plate, is the best sight/mount configuration currently available. Provided that your stock is designed so that the Burris mount can gain a SOLID hold.

And even then, I did have to tweak a few things in order to get that SpeedBead mount to lock down really tight.
In order for these sights to work, the mount simply cannot be allowed to move.

I have changed my mind about the Dual Illum vs LED RMR.
The self-adjusting LED models (RM01 and RM02) are proving to be at least as durable and reliable as the Dual-Illum models (RM03, RM04, RM05 and RM08).

While I don't like the "idea" of a battery powered sight, there is no doubt that the LED is more visible in a wider array of lighting conditions. It's window also isn't tinted as dark as the Dual-Illum window is. That said, I still like them both, and consider either to be far and away superior to ANY of the competition's currently available offerings.

I regret that I didn't give the LED option a hard enough look at first.
I'm glad I finally did, because I now prefer the RM02 over the RM05.

I would advise against buying the Adjustable LED RMRs (RM06 and RM07).
They have proven to have reliability/dependability issues that are non-existent in the self-adjusting LED and Dual-Illuminated RMRs.

I would not count on the Burris Fastfire sight that comes with the SpeedBead.
It's okay to check out and experiment with. But, it's not in the same league as the RMR.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 am

FWIW i plan to try one.First though I want to talk with Burris and see if they will be making the Speedbead for my 835 in the near future.I'm also considering their Fastfire with a weaver mount but I like the fact that the Speedbead sits down lower.I think they work sort of like instinctive shooting with a recurve bow.You keep you direct focus on what you want to hit but you're seeing (but not aiming) the arrow point in your peripheral vision and your brain brings it all together with practice.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Why not just duct tape a laser pointer to the ventilated rib, Okie style? :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:Why not just duct tape a laser pointer to the ventilated rib, Okie style? :yes:

Works pretty well for me.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Why not just duct tape a laser pointer to the ventilated rib, Okie style? :yes:

Rain and snow :clapping: .
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Bernie P. wrote:FWIW i plan to try one.First though I want to talk with Burris and see if they will be making the Speedbead for my 835 in the near future.I'm also considering their Fastfire with a weaver mount but I like the fact that the Speedbead sits down lower.I think they work sort of like instinctive shooting with a recurve bow.You keep you direct focus on what you want to hit but you're seeing (but not aiming) the arrow point in your peripheral vision and your brain brings it all together with practice.

The Speed Bead and the FastFire are the same sight, just different mounts. Burris does not a Speed Bead mount for the 835 but the FF sight can be mounted on ANY weaver rail with the weaver/picatinny base or directly onto the 835 mounting holes with the Marlin 336 base.
Last edited by dsm16428 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:03 am

That's what I thought but with the Fastfire and Weaver/piccatinny rail in place I cant use the cantilever rifled slug barrel without removing the whole setup.With the Speedbead mount/version I could just re-zero for use with either barrel.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 am

I got a reply from Burris on the Speedbead for my gun.Not going to happen.I overlooked the tang safety being in the way.DUH :lol: I still might give the Fastfire III a try.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby mackattack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Bernie P, do you have a BPS? If so let me know if you find a reflex that can work on one. I'm wanting to give it a try Nevermind just saw your above post
mackattack
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Since the time I "dedicated" myself to the idea of using reflex sights for wing-shooting, I have learned that longer barrels are completely unnecessary if you are using a reflex sight.

In fact, I now prefer a 24" barrel, and can't stand using a 28" anymore. It's too cumbersome and awkward. And doesn't add anything of appreciable benefit to my "swing" or follow through.

I haven't gone shorter than 24".
But, I have found no reason to believe that I couldn't do just as well with a 22" or even shorter barrel.

These sights are a real game changer. But, you have to be willing to throw out the traditional "rules" in order to really take advantage of all that they have to offer.
copterdoc
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum