Who has Actually TRIED Wingshooting with a Reflex Sight?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Who has Actually TRIED Wingshooting with a Reflex Sight?

Postby copterdoc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 pm

flinch wrote:....In other words how RS eliminates the problems, when one eye is looking in the sight and the other is off sight?
The dot is PROJECTED into the sky. It appears on the same focal plane, as the target.

The only way that I can describe the effect, is like a laser pointer, on a white wall the size of the Universe.

There is all kinds of stuff in our near-field vision, that we automatically "block out" of our concentration.
When you use a reflex sight, the only two things that you pay any attention to, is the target and the dot.

The entire gun, and even the sight housing that surrounds the glass, just becomes an out of focus blur, that you don't notice, or even care to notice.

Barrels, ribs and beads lie.
They depend on your ability to "line things up".
When shooting on the wing, you don't have time to "line things up".

The dot doesn't lie.
Once it has been set to point the same place the gun shoots, it will never lie to you.
Where the dot is, is where the pattern is going to hit.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:23 pm

flinch wrote:....this is called " the art of shooting"....
No, it's called trying to accurately POINT, with a reference system that is only capable of accurately AIMING!!!!

A reflex sight, is a device that provides truly accurate and consistent pointing, without the requirement to do any amount of aiming.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:33 pm

flinch wrote:...So, here you have time to line up things?....
Line up what?

You put the dot, where you want the center of the pattern to hit.

One dot.
Not two dots.

There's not a front dot, and a back dot.
There's not a front bead, and a mid bead.
There's not a front bead, and a flat rib.

There's just a dot.
You don't have to aim a dot.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby toptrigger » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am

copterdoc wrote:
toptrigger wrote:.....I feel like this reflex sight is bandaid for a bigger problem???
Have you ever used one?

The thing about a band-aid, is that when you are wearing one, you know that you are wearing one.
If a reflex sight improves your consistency, that's all the more that you need to think it.

I can't find anybody that has actually USED ONE, that has anything negative to say about them. Other than the cost and that they have trouble getting a good mounting system.

None of them regret trying them.

The only haters, are the traditionalists that don't have a CLUE how the sights work. In fact, they have no idea what they are talking about.

I have not used one, I don't need one. I'm not trying to brag but I can shoot. I shot my limit of doves this past weekend in less than a box of shells. I've never felt like I needed a reflex sight. I don't aim anyway, as someone stated earlier you point a shotgun not aim it.
toptrigger
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 am

Go to pattern board, get gun to shoot where you look, look at target and shoot!
no dot, bead, sight or other contraption needed.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 am

I was the first one that said that you point a shotgun, and don't aim it.

I also do not disagree with the opinion that you do not NEED a reflex sight.
But, there's lots of things in life, that while I don't NEED them, they just plain work. And they work a lot better than the alternative.

If you don't think you need a reflex sight on your shotgun, you are correct.
If you don't think that it will work, you are dead wrong.

It works. Period.

Whether or not it's "better", is a matter of opinion.

That said, I challenge anyone, to find anyone, that has ACTUALLY TRIED USING ONE, that says that a reflex sight is not "better", than no reflex sight.

You won't be able to.

The only people that have bad things to say about the idea of using a reflex sight for wingshooting, are the people THAT HAVE NEVER TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that every reflex sight on the market, is flat-out awesomness incarnate, either.
Just like anything else, you will find some are really well made, and others are a little shoddy.

"You get what you pay for" applies to just about any manufactured product.

All I'm saying, is that reflex sights WORK for wingshooting.
If you haven't experienced just how well they work, you do not know what you are missing, and you also do not know what the hell you are talking about either.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:04 am

What do you do when theres grass and sticks caught in it when you throw the gun up blocking the view of you dot?
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:27 am

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:What do you do when theres grass and sticks caught in it when you throw the gun up blocking the view of you dot?
That hasn't happened to me.

It's not easy to block out the dot. You've gotta try pretty hard.

I've had the dogs shake off and splash mud all over the lens several times.
I could still see the dot, every time.

The only time I have mounted the gun and not been able to see the dot, was when I was pheasant hunting in a snow storm.
Enough snow fell in the recess, and blocked the light from being able to reach the lens.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:31 am

Is there enough light when legal shooting time starts for the dot?
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:38 am

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:Is there enough light when legal shooting time starts for the dot?
That depends on the sight.

Most of them, can be seen in the dark.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Gilandb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:05 am

My biggest issue when wing shooting is not getting down on the gun. IMO, this is the most common issue experienced shooters have when they miss. A reflex sight fixes this issue by making it a non-issue. It can't happen. Basically, a reflex sight is a heads up display for your gun.

Last year I put a reflex sight on my shotgun and am still adapting to it (haven't shot with it much). Seems to be going well so far.
Mine has multiple levels of brightness. Shooting light I can set it to the lowest setting. By midday it is still easily visible at higher settings.

If they are good enough for the military to use, I felt I could give it a try too. :thumbsup:
Gilandb
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:05 am

Not that Im saying I am sold, but if you were close enough to hunt with, I would clean your gun and give you a box of shells to hunt for a day with your sight copter. You make a very valid argument.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Gilandb wrote:If they are good enough for the military to use,

The military issues duck guns to our soldiers??
mudpack
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:41 pm

I think that I have found the "ultimate" reflex sight and mount combination for wingshooting.

The problem is, that it won't work with every shotgun that is popular for waterfowling.
But, it will work with most of the Beretta and Benelli autos.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby daffy... » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm

i use these sights. my biggest problem with shooting was getting my head/eye to aline. when i put this on it helped my shooting 80%. the long sight is pure magic. when everything is alined i no its just up to the pattern at that point.... when i see red i know its dead.

it just seems like i would bust that sight off or knock its zero off. my gun is always rolling in the bottom of the boat etc.
Attachments
easy_hit_online.jpg
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:17 pm

^^^^^^^That thing killed my shooting.^^^^^^^^^^

It's a distraction, that makes me aim, and when I aim, the gun stops dead in my hands.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby daffy... » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:23 pm

i start my lead, muscle memory has made it a in-motion action, once i find the right speed and lead its like it turns on. i dont even see it til the lead is right. once that feels right its like a switch gets turned on.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm

All my sighting is by reflex.................................. :umm:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 pm

copterdoc wrote:I think that I have found the "ultimate" reflex sight and mount combination for wingshooting.

The problem is, that it won't work with every shotgun that is popular for waterfowling.

What is your combination?

I've used reflex sights for many years in the military and on my own personal weapons. They have their own share of pros and cons, but generally are a great asset. The beauty of reflex sights is that they simply allow you to aim/point your shotgun/rifle/handgun without looking squarely down the sights. The problem with tradition sights are that they require a constant repetition about maintaining your cheek weld/sight alignment/sight picture. If you're not consistently mounting your weapon the exact same way as you sighted it in your point of impact will differ from your point of aim. It's simple as that. That alone depending weapon used could play major or minor impact on the shot. Reflex sights don't have this problem.

I found this thread to be pretty intriguing. You're always going to have the traditionalists scoffing at anything new or potentially revoluationary. It's just how it goes. Sometimes the idea pans out and sometimes it just dies on it's own.

I appreciate the thread CD.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 pm

gunrunnerusmc03 wrote:
copterdoc wrote:I think that I have found the "ultimate" reflex sight and mount combination for wingshooting.

What is your combination?

I've used reflex sights for many years in the military and on my own personal weapons. They have their own share of pros and cons, but generally are a great asset. The beauty of reflex sights is that they simply allow you to aim/point your shotgun/rifle/handgun without looking squarely down the sights. The problem with tradition sights are that they require a constant repetition about maintaining your cheek weld/sight alignment/sight picture. If you're not consistently mounting your weapon the exact same way as you sighted it in your point of impact will differ from your point of aim. It's simple as that. That alone depending weapon used could play major or minor impact on the shot. Reflex sights don't have this problem.

I found this thread to be pretty intriguing. You're always going to have the traditionalists scoffing at anything new or potentially revoluationary. It's just how it goes. Sometimes the idea pans out and sometimes it just dies on it's own.

I appreciate the thread CD.

:thumbsup:
POKER1
hunter

Postby lyrikz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am

copterdoc wrote:
flinch wrote:copterdoc, so, what advantages I can get from this optic device to improve my shooting?

It doesn't cure cross dominance. It makes eye dominance irrelevant.

Every person that has two "good" eyes, sees a double image of the barrel when they focus on the target.
The brain "picks" one image over the other, and the eye that it receives that image from, is called the dominant eye.

When you are a cross dominant shooter, your dominant eye, selects the wrong barrel.

With a reflex sight, there is only one dot to choose. Your brain can't screw it up.

I know this is an old post, but im new here. From my point of view, you are trying to talk a bunch of old timers into using this new wizbang... Someone even mentioned GIZMO when talking about the reflex. I have alot of rifles/pistols and love my reflex.. This is my first year duck hunting and i went 3 for 5 first time out. But my first thought was, i wish i had a sight... I appreciate your enthusiasm but i dont think you are going to be able to talk anyone into trying this...

ONe question i did have, do you have any pics of reflex sights mounted to duck guns??? I see no way i could mount a reflex to my remington.
lyrikz
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am

Not sure if the OP is following this thread any longer. I asked what his set up was a while ago and never heard from CD again :crying:
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 pm

lyrikz wrote:[quote="copterdocI
One question i did have, do you have any pics of reflex sights mounted to duck guns??? I see no way i could mount a reflex to my remington.

I drilled & tapped my Rem 870 when I had one.

ATN on SuperNova
Aimpoint on a Nova
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Major Woods wrote:
lyrikz wrote:[quote="copterdocI
One question i did have, do you have any pics of reflex sights mounted to duck guns??? I see no way i could mount a reflex to my remington.

I drilled & tapped my Rem 870 when I had one.

ATN on SuperNova
Aimpoint on a Nova

That or get a saddle mount like the Bsquare.

http://www.cabelas.com/mounts-bases-b-s ... ck-2.shtml
POKER1
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm

lyrikz wrote:
copterdoc wrote:
flinch wrote:copterdoc, so, what advantages I can get from this optic device to improve my shooting?

It doesn't cure cross dominance. It makes eye dominance irrelevant.

Every person that has two "good" eyes, sees a double image of the barrel when they focus on the target.
The brain "picks" one image over the other, and the eye that it receives that image from, is called the dominant eye.

When you are a cross dominant shooter, your dominant eye, selects the wrong barrel.

With a reflex sight, there is only one dot to choose. Your brain can't screw it up.

I know this is an old post, but im new here. From my point of view, you are trying to talk a bunch of old timers into using this new wizbang... Someone even mentioned GIZMO when talking about the reflex. I have alot of rifles/pistols and love my reflex.. This is my first year duck hunting and i went 3 for 5 first time out. But my first thought was, i wish i had a sight... I appreciate your enthusiasm but i dont think you are going to be able to talk anyone into trying this...

ONe question i did have, do you have any pics of reflex sights mounted to duck guns??? I see no way i could mount a reflex to my remington.

Wanting to try 1 of these to try.

http://easyhit.com/
POKER1
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum