Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Postby Phild » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 pm

TomKat wrote:I still love my Benelli M2.

I still dont know why anyone would want to own a 3.5" gun

Big Geese TomKat....Far out there and less recoil cause you need all three shots to take one down that far
out LOL.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:35 pm

sgtD wrote:It's a shame that Remington can't seem to get their act together. I have always been a Remington man.

I had been thinking about buying a Versa-Max, but I guess I'll have to keep shooting the 11-87, since the Versa Max seems plauged with problems. Until Remingon gets it's act together anyway.

From most reports I've read, the Versa Max seems to be quite reliable. Remington redesigned the forearm cap to solve the loosening issue (there were several workarounds guys had figured out on their own), and a few guys have reported the firing pin retaining pin can work loose if not installed tightly, but other than that I've seen very few issues being reported. Nothing like the redesign Browning did on the original Golds to make them cycle in cold weather, or the Beretta Xtrema's that shot 18" off center, or the barrel bands that separated from numerous SBE's...... :eek:
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 am

Specklebelly wrote:Ok, I will say it and sorry in advance if your offended. Unless your eight or a 110 lbs female, who really cares about recoil and does it really matter?

You guys are discussing which gun kicks more or less like your shoulders are made of glass. If recoil is an issue, get a 20 gauge auto.

:thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:11 am

Bug Doc wrote:
sgtD wrote:It's a shame that Remington can't seem to get their act together. I have always been a Remington man.

I had been thinking about buying a Versa-Max, but I guess I'll have to keep shooting the 11-87, since the Versa Max seems plauged with problems. Until Remingon gets it's act together anyway.

From most reports I've read, the Versa Max seems to be quite reliable. Remington redesigned the forearm cap to solve the loosening issue (there were several workarounds guys had figured out on their own), and a few guys have reported the firing pin retaining pin can work loose if not installed tightly, but other than that I've seen very few issues being reported. Nothing like the redesign Browning did on the original Golds to make them cycle in cold weather, or the Beretta Xtrema's that shot 18" off center, or the barrel bands that separated from numerous SBE's...... :eek:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
I have been a dealer for years, (currently waiting on my Renewal) and gunsmithing for just as long and have only seen / heard of 1 Beretta that shot way off center. The browning gold "Redesign" was a modification to the bolt due to fireing pin breakage, The early ones took a bit too long to break in before they worked 100% IMO. I have never seen a benelli with a broken barrel band, Can not say that I have even heard of this issue.

NOW if you want to talk about issues, I sent in large numbers of the first 11-87 and even several later ones due to cycling issues, mostly due to them blowing "o" rings every 100 rounds or so. My own personal early 11-87 went back twice for this issue and the last time they returned it with a box of "O" rings with a statement telling me to change them when it fails which was about every 100-150 rounds. Never had this issue with my 11-87 premiers that I had only the express. My 700 Sendero had the receiver a bit undersized and when the mounts would not fit properly they would not replace it, They told me that it was on the under side of tolerance but still within spec so to just use Weatherby Mounts to correct the issue. :mad:

Then they recalled ALL of their 17HMR semi auto rifles as they were "unsafe to use" along with MANY other issues like the triggers that fire on their own and Remington is blaming WD-40 for this issue. which could be correct but I do not see browning or winchester having this issue and I am sure there are people that use WD-40 on these guns too... :yes:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:27 am

WaterfowlHunter,
Being a Gunsmith did you ever figure out why the 11-87s were blowing o-rings?
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Omotose » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:56 am

I just picked up my new 26" camo Versamax. The fit and finish of the gun seem to be very good. The gun has good balance and fits me well right out of the box. I really like the fact that it came with extended chokes. I cleaned it then took it out and put a few rounds through it. Very smooth and it shoots where it points. Looks like I'll be putting the SBE II up on the auction block soon.
Omotose
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

Bug Doc wrote: and a few guys have reported the firing pin retaining pin can work loose if not installed tightly, but other than that I've seen very few issues being reported. :eek:

That would have been me for one. Other than that I really like the gun.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:37 pm

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:WaterfowlHunter,
Being a Gunsmith did you ever figure out why the 11-87s were blowing o-rings?

No I did not. I sold the guns, I do see that the newer 11-87's have different gas piston parts. In the 3 that I had doing this on a regular basis it did not tear them it actually burnt thru them, Black scorthed marks on the ring and they would start loosini pieces. Never really effected the operation with 3" magnums but made trap loads hit or mis after 100 or so rounds. Others I seen would rip them on a angle the same every time.

Gunsmithing was not my primary business, I did not have the lathes and other equipment to do major work that a lot of people wanted. so all I was able to accomplish was basics, some refinishing and welding or machining of small parts. mostly on used guns I took in that needed repaired or replacement parts installed or for customers I knew well. If I had the $$$ at the time I would have had a full shop. Buying and selling kept me very busy along with my night job :yes: I did not have the lathes and other equipment to do major work. What I found is that is a FULL TIME job to really do it right and be proficient in all guns. I did not and still do not have that kind of time. :crying:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Omotose wrote:I just picked up my new 26" camo Versamax. The fit and finish of the gun seem to be very good. The gun has good balance and fits me well right out of the box. I really like the fact that it came with extended chokes. I cleaned it then took it out and put a few rounds through it. Very smooth and it shoots where it points. Looks like I'll be putting the SBE II up on the auction block soon.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Might want to wait on that so that you have a gun to complete the season with when the Rem Fails :yes: :yes: :yes:
:umm:

Just messing with you. I would like to get my hands on one mself this season just to give it a good test so I can develop a proper opinion :lol3:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 pm

I love how a few INSIST that the gun failing to cycle properly is a cleaning issue. I stated that I had only shot 3-4 games of skeet with it. Before I even took it to the range for that I cleaned it... just because I was excited to have a new gun. I then THOROUGHLY cleaned it after I shot some skeet with it (that means taking it apart, cleaning the action, barrel, ect until there is no residue anywhere). The next time I shot it was for patterning... maybe 25 rounds at most. I had a fail to feed then too... so far it has cycled 2 3/4 and 3" just fine... seems to have issues with 3.5" remington and kent shells. I cleaned it again, stored it... brought it out for duck season, oiled and wiped down all the internals (just like I would with my 1100)... less than 1 box of kent 3.5's and it jams 3-4 times.

I do feel silly about the shell loading problem.. Believe it or not I did read the manual- I just must have overlooked that portion. I assumed it would have been just like my other Remingtons. I was mostly concerned with the assembly and dis-assembly. I've got a lot more experience with a lot of different weapons than a lot of here are probably willing to believe given my previous and current line of work.

Also- I stated that the recoil problem was probably from perceived recoil and gun fit... some things might feel like they "fit" just fine when you shoulder it in the sporting goods store, but you never really know for sure until you fire it.

Keep in mind here everything is an opinion- if you have a versamax and just feel offended by reading this because you spent the money and dont want to hear it- that's all it is, is an opinion- everyone's got one. Maybe the versamax IS the right gun for YOU.. I just don't think a $1200 shotgun should fail to cycle 3.5" shells or have a self loosening magazine cap..

To everybody else that is just causing a stir because that's what they do, well have fun- whatever makes you feel good I guess.

To those who are worried about me owning a 14" barreled gun, yes I realize it is a class 3 NFA. I'm exempt from that because it was issued to me by the agency I work for and its used for L.E. purposes.

I'm happy with my Sx3- its done me good so far. There is a pic of the limit of birds I shot with the Sx3 on its maiden voyage... No more sore cheek bone from recoil either...
Attachments
IMG00333-20120905-1444.jpg
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:39 pm

vertical_edge_800 wrote:....To those who are worried about me owning a 14" barreled gun, yes I realize it is a class 3 NFA. I'm exempt from that because it was issued to me by the agency I work for and its used for L.E. purposes....
Keep telling yourself that.

And that's quite a limit...........
copterdoc
hunter

Postby sgtD » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:56 pm

I like Remington becuase it is an American company and makes its guns here, but the jury is still out on the Versa max. I hope they get the kinks worked out. If not, maybe I will buy a Beretta (ew did I just type that) 3901. At least they are made in the USA by American workers.
sgtD
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 pm

sgtD wrote:.....If not, maybe I will buy a Beretta (ew did I just type that) 3901. At least they are made in the USA by American workers.

They don't make the 3901 anymore.

You can still find one NIB, if you do a little searching.
But, you better not wait long.

It's a $1,000 gun, with a $600 price tag.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:16 pm

TomKat wrote:I still love my Benelli M2.

I still dont know why anyone would want to own a 3.5" gun

Once again, TomKat states exactly what I had hoped to post! I'm taking my 3" gun, (m2 field) in the morning to slay some big honkers.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 pm

This is the only 3.5" gun I currently own- I mostly got one because I wanted to have the option of using the 3.5" or having some extra pattern density with B and BB loads. If I'm shooting #2 or smaller shot... PLENTY of it fits inside a 3" shell- or even a 2 3/4 if the shots are up close. Nothing wrong with options... I've got an expensive surface drive setup and haven't shot a single bird out of it yet this season... but I've got the option! The shooting has been too good in the walk in areas to pass up.. Good luck goose hunting- maybe I will get lucky and have one or two fly through my spread tomorrow. :beer:
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:59 am

vertical_edge_800 wrote:2) Its overly long.. I don't understand why a 28" barreled gun has to be so long.. its like the receiver is at least 30% longer than it should be

Any rotary bolt gun has a longer receiver than a non-rotary bolt, with the exception of an A400. The Versamax is more Benelli-ish than Remington to me. I could see where a long time Remington fan wouldn't like it.

On your SX3, try holding the bolt release button while you pull the bolt back. It acts like a magazine shell stop allowing you to only take the shell out of the barrel if you want.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby sgtD » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:13 am

As far as the 3 1/2" goes, I shot one out of my 870 supermag last season just to see what it was like. I have it just in case I need it anyway.

I don't recon I need to shoot anymore 3 1/2" unless I am shooting high flying geese, which will probably never happen since I really don't goose hunt. I keep some 3" BB with me in the blind for the occasional Canada that comes by while duck hunting. I mostly shoot ducks with 2 3/4 steel over decoys, but I do use 3" for those days when they just won't commit to the dekes for whatever reason. I long for the days when a nice #6 lead game load would do the job. No need for fancy guns and chokes needed; no high velocity ammo and the inherent recoil that comes with it.
sgtD
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 am

sgtD wrote: No need for fancy guns and chokes needed; no high velocity ammo and the inherent recoil that comes with it.

I use to live in the far north here in Canada and backpacked a lot along the different rivers while walking with my dog. I use to carry an old H&R style single shot, full bore chambered for 2 3/4 only. My main purpose for carrying it was for bears but I did use it to take ducks, geese and the odd partridge (not in a pear tree). It was a nice little gun would break down and go in my pack if I got tired of carrying it.

Saying that ...20 years ago was when I used it, I have since changed my hunting styles and game I go after, ran the 870 pump, 11-87, versa max and now the beretta A400. There may not be a need for the fancy chokes, recoil systems and 3 1/2 chamber but is sure does make it nicer to have all the options available.

Shotgun debates are on going just like Ford, Dodge and Chevy. I think in today's market the manufacturers all make a nice top of the line gun and you can't really go wrong with any of them. Sure there may be a dud or lemon of each one out there if you looked and searched hard enough but that is the process of manufacturing thousands and thousands of these guns there is bound to be some that are just not put together as designed for what ever reason.

Glad you like you new purchase, it is ultimately what ever makes you happy in the blind. I use to pride myself on taking more birds with my 870 pump with 2 3/4 shells over my friends and their autos with 3". Switching to a 3 1/2 auto I think I am much happier. Besides it has really nice camo and the Beretta logo on the case.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:41 am

The Drake wrote:1) Rem fixed the mag cap with a new one, free of charge :biggrin:

2) The reciever didnt magically grow since you bought it I am guessing. :eek:

3) Arent you the one that bought the 8 lb. gun that I am guessing weighed that at that time ? :no: And yes they are 8 lbs not 7.7 lbs.......Why would you buy an 8 lb gun if you are walking 5 miles ?

4) The Versamax unloads identical to a Benelli. Click the bottom button to get he next shell onto the carrier and pull the bolt back, the shell in the barrel ejects and the next shell chambers...... :fingerhead:

5) Again just like most guns. :no:

6) I've shot 11-87's M1's, SBE's, SX3's, SX2's, 390's, Maxus, and A400 Xtrema.......Yes the Versamax kicks less than all of them :yes:

7) Replacement barrel ? Didnt YOU buy the 28" barrel ? ? They make a 26" gun in camo, you realize that right ? :hammer:

8) Based on your knowledge of unloading the gun I have to question your cleaning of the gun if it was jamming...... :oops:

I have seen very very few up for sale used, that tells me alot........ :beer:

If I can add and addendum to #1. For as long as I have owned shotguns, whihc is approaching 40 years, on occasion the end cap has come loose. I own a versamax and I simply did what I did with the other ones. Wrap a piece of electrical tape around the threads and it stays perfectly tight.

That being said, I friggin' love mine.
Shooting wide
hunter

Postby goose_gunner » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 pm

just my thoughts if recoil bugs you that much maybe find a 3in or 23/4in load that patterns at the ranges you shoot or look at a 10ga and you are talken about shooting just about a box a trip and i can see why you wherent happy with it lol i hate shooting 3.5in 12ga after getting a 10ga i cant see why you would shoot a 3.5 12ga much less 19 rounds of it
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 am

I liked mine and shot lots of 3 1/2 thru it and didn't mind the recoil I mean it is a shot gun so you should expect something right? I have never shot a 10ga I thought it would be like a cannon?

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Not the real reason but here is why I got rid of mine

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Specklebelly wrote:Ok, I will say it and sorry in advance if your offended. Unless your eight or a 110 lbs female, who really cares about recoil and does it really matter?

You guys are discussing which gun kicks more or less like your shoulders are made of glass. If recoil is an issue, get a 20 gauge auto.

Ill drink to that! Grow a set!
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm

few things..

THE VERSA_MAX HAS ISSUES... lots of em.. it is a cheaply made gun trying to get a peice of the high end market.. if you bought one, i'm sorry, but thats just how it is.. you got had...

one of the biggest marketing points was the reduced felt recoil due to the "inovative" gas ports... well that failed and to boot causes some failure to feed issues...

the guy talking about a 115lb woman shooting an sp-10.. well no sh!t.. its like pointing a lead pipe.. it has no felt recoil cause its like 15 tons. ( :lol3: ) the question is can she swing it on birds and transition from target to target.. i'm gonna go with no unless she is a body builder.

remington it's self is no longer what it used to be.. the 870 express.. kinda junk.. new 11-87. alot junk.. versa-max. joke..
they waited to late, rushed a product betting their name would carry it (it did at first) and got desperate.. their old guns are work horses, but the tides have turned..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm gonna call B.S. on that one possum foot. Lots of fine shooting Versa Max's on the marsh. You hear of a few problems out of the millions of them sold, the dealers here can't keep them on the shelves. Any load, Anywhere, Everytime. Where were you the day inertia died?
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum