Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Postby The Drake » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 pm

possumfoot wrote:few things..

THE VERSA_MAX HAS ISSUES... lots of em.. it is a cheaply made gun trying to get a peice of the high end market.. if you bought one, i'm sorry, but thats just how it is.. you got had...

one of the biggest marketing points was the reduced felt recoil due to the "inovative" gas ports... well that failed and to boot causes some failure to feed issues...

the guy talking about a 115lb woman shooting an sp-10.. well no sh!t.. its like pointing a lead pipe.. it has no felt recoil cause its like 15 tons. ( :lol3: ) the question is can she swing it on birds and transition from target to target.. i'm gonna go with no unless she is a body builder.

remington it's self is no longer what it used to be.. the 870 express.. kinda junk.. new 11-87. alot junk.. versa-max. joke..
they waited to late, rushed a product betting their name would carry it (it did at first) and got desperate.. their old guns are work horses, but the tides have turned..

1200 light loads and 6 boxes of 3" through mine and not a single jam.......so yes, they do infact cycle everything well. Recoil is light. Much lighter than any Benelli and my 2 buddy's with SX3 and A400 both said the Versamax kicked less than theirs. Wy would they lie ?

As for problems, name anything you buy these days that doesnt have issues......Dads brand new cadillac burned 3 quarts of oil every 3000 miles they gave him new psitons and rings. Seen Nova's and Remingtons shoot a foot high and left. Beretta's shoot high. Brownings break gas springs in their Maxus that was tested and engineered for 5 years. Friends Xtrema broke a gas spring after 1000 rounds, 7 months it was at Beretta waiting to get fixed.........

With all that said, ya I wish the gun was 7.2 lbs like a Benelli or Maxus, but then it wouldnt have such light recoil. Yes mine shot off POA and rem replaced it in 3 days. And yes they had a mag cap issue, but again they fixed it.

To me the biggest screw up is the chokes....... .004, .009 and .014........WORTHLESS for duck hunting with he exception of the .014 or Light Modified.
The Drake
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 pm

possumfoot wrote:few things..

THE VERSA_MAX HAS ISSUES... lots of em.. it is a cheaply made gun trying to get a peice of the high end market.. if you bought one, i'm sorry, but thats just how it is.. you got had...

one of the biggest marketing points was the reduced felt recoil due to the "inovative" gas ports... well that failed and to boot causes some failure to feed issues...

the guy talking about a 115lb woman shooting an sp-10.. well no sh!t.. its like pointing a lead pipe.. it has no felt recoil cause its like 15 tons. ( :lol3: ) the question is can she swing it on birds and transition from target to target.. i'm gonna go with no unless she is a body builder.

remington it's self is no longer what it used to be.. the 870 express.. kinda junk.. new 11-87. alot junk.. versa-max. joke..
they waited to late, rushed a product betting their name would carry it (it did at first) and got desperate.. their old guns are work horses, but the tides have turned..

Please list all the issue you have personally witnessed or seen..........
The Drake
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am

Holy crap. Look into this post and see a bunch of babies fighting b/c one guy has a diff. opinion then they do. If it works for u great. Don't be pissed if u see a post that is against remington and you decide to read it. And yes remingtons are cheap as crap. My dad got me an 870 6-7 years ago and then got my brother one about 4 years ago. You could see how the quality had gone WAY done. He had problems with it. Remington makes good guns but get an SX3 or Maxus if you want a reliable Gas gun. Obviousally with all these guys posting issues with it theirs something wrong
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 am

vertical_edge_800 wrote:I've been a remington kind of guy my whole life... I've owned piles of 870's, and still currently own a 14" barrel 870, (2) 28" barreled 870's, and a 20 gauge 870... as well as an 1100 magnum... So, I thought it would only make sense to go ahead and buy the latest and greatest 12 gauge remington has to offer, the versa-max! I bought it well before the season started, months in advance.. the first thing I did with it was to take it to the skeet range and shoot several rounds of skeet through it. No problems cycling my light 1oz target loads.. I didn't like how the magazine cap turned itself loose after a few shots no matter how tight I put it on. Anyway- months go by, I patterned a few of my favorite duck loads with it... pretty darn good patterns.. so far, everything is going wonderful with me and my new versamax. Duck season... day 3 of duck season and I finally make it out to go shoot some birds. I took the boat out and tried settin over decoys, it was too windy nothing was flying. So I went to another marsh where jump shooting is the method of choice.. here we go, a true test of a shotguns durability, walking 5 miles through chest deep mud and thick weeds.... So, at the end of the day, heres why I decided that I hate my versamax (which I no longer have, a buddy of mine really wanted it, so I sold it to him..)

1) That F&*@(ing magazine cap.. it doesn't matter what you do, it will come loose after you shoot with it for a while never lost a magazine cap
2) Its overly long.. I don't understand why a 28" barreled gun has to be so long.. its like the receiver is at least 30% longer than it should be My M2 is the perfect length
3) Hello 7.7 lbs... hello heavy shotgun...Mine is very lightweight
4) Its a pain in the @$$ to unload this shotgun... you have to eject the shell out of the chamber, then either close the chamber and dry fire it to release the next shell, or manually release the shells from the magazine with your fingers.. good luck doing that with cold hands.. and having to dry fire your weapon to release the next shell is just begging for an unfortunate malfunction to happen eventually. never has any of these problems
5) The shell carrier has a U notch in it that opens up into the receiver, when you are walking in the weeds, vegetation hangs up on this U notch, tears off, then finds its way into the receiver. Hello failure to feed malfunction, how are you today? Me, I'm pissed, because you are causing me to fire a single shot weapon!! No problems with my M2
6) It doesn't kick any less than any other 3.5" gun I've ever shot, and they toot their horns saying it does... a 3.5 kicks hard no matter what it comes out of I guess. Even a 7.7lb shotgun... Why on earth would anyone want to use a 3.5" shell? Its not about how far you can shoot, its about how close you can shoot. My cousin uses a 20 gauge and kills lots of geese. I am about to start running 2 3/4" in my gun
7) Good luck finding a replacement barrel to make your ridiculously long 28" barreled gun shorter.. can't cut the barrel and rechoke either, because its tapered and fatter at the end of the barrel. My M2 is 26" long, all of my shotguns are 26"
8) Did I mention that out of 1 box of Kent 3.5" #2 @ 1550 FPS, I had 4 jams where the next shell got stuck on its way into the receiver? Cost me a few birds. Might as well get an H&R single shot. I love my Benelli. The few times it has failed were my fault for failing to properly cycle the rotary bolt. Otherwise, its a great shooter

Well... I couldn't stand the idea that I payed so much for a shotgun that I really can not stand. A buddy of mine fell in love with the idea of the versamax and was going to go buy an identical one to mine anyway- so he bought mine off me for $100 less than what I payed for it. So he's happy, I'm happy, and also the happy new owner of a Winchester SX3 in max-4 :hammer:

I LOVE MY BENELLI!!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby The Drake » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Holy crap. Look into this post and see a bunch of babies fighting b/c one guy has a diff. opinion then they do. If it works for u great. Don't be pissed if u see a post that is against remington and you decide to read it. And yes remingtons are cheap as crap. My dad got me an 870 6-7 years ago and then got my brother one about 4 years ago. You could see how the quality had gone WAY done. He had problems with it. Remington makes good guns but get an SX3 or Maxus if you want a reliable Gas gun. Obviousally with all these guys posting issues with it theirs something wrong

I had a Maxus, broke the gas spring in 1000 shells......many many others have as well. Sad thing is browning wont acknowledge the design/materials flaw.
The Drake
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Holy crap. Look into this post and see a bunch of babies fighting b/c one guy has a diff. opinion then they do. If it works for u great. Don't be pissed if u see a post that is against remington and you decide to read it. And yes remingtons are cheap as crap. My dad got me an 870 6-7 years ago and then got my brother one about 4 years ago. You could see how the quality had gone WAY done. He had problems with it. Remington makes good guns but get an SX3 or Maxus if you want a reliable Gas gun. Obviousally with all these guys posting issues with it theirs something wrong

I'm gonna have to call B.S. on this one WIdrakekiller, we are not talking about 870's, The Versamax is a good gun made in the USA. If you want an X3 made in Belgium thats o.k. Lots of people use the Versamax here and the are a very reliable Autoloader. The dealers here can't keep the camo version in stock. Any load, Anywhere, Everytime. Where were you the day inertia died?
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 pm

NW Birdhunter wrote:

I'm gonna have to call B.S. on this one WIdrakekiller, we are not talking about 870's, The Versamax is a good gun made in the USA. If you want an X3 made in Belgium thats o.k. Lots of people use the Versamax here and the are a very reliable Autoloader. The dealers here can't keep the camo version in stock. Any load, Anywhere, Everytime. Where were you the day inertia died?

NW do you or did you own a Versa Max? I see you have called BS twice now I am not trying to start anything but I will and can say that my Versa Max did not fit your tag line "Any load, Anywhere, Everytime. Where were you the day inertia died?"

Any load I have had 7/8 #8 not cycle, anywhere well I never took it too many extreme places, Every time....not even close with the one I had, I had one that had the firing pin retaining pin that would always back out...not matter what you did you had to check it every two or three shells. Did I like the gun? Yep sure did. Was Remingtons customer service good to me? Yep top notch even gave me a complete new Versa Max after a season of shooting it no charge. Could I bring myself to trust the new in box Versa Max they gave me...NOPE that is why I traded mine in on the A400. Does it recoil lighter that the A400 I think not but to be honest it doesn't really matter I could shoot them both in the duck blind without a problem.

There is a very long thread over on SGW about the Versa Max lots good and some bad..I just happened to be the unlucky one I guess, I did like the gun though. You can see this is where I started in on the thread

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... &start=500

This is where I had my first problem 500 rounds I think

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... &start=620

From there you will find lots of pics of damage to my gun from the pin backing out and piling up, you will also see some nice pics of some nice ducks and big Canada geese I took with it even thou the pin was not correct and the further on you will read where I traded in my new replacement for a Beretta A400.

I have a thread started on this gun as well but have not had any issues yet with it if I do I will honestly post them with pics as I am truly only looking for a gun that is reliable, shoots well and fit my needs. Doesn't matter what name is on it as long as it works.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 am

NW Birdhunter wrote:Where were you the day inertia died?

:lol3: Thats a good one.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 pm

NW Birdhunter wrote:

Uhhhh Im pretty sure SX3's are gas not inertia. And honestly im not buying another remington. Here's what happened. Due to higher material costs gas and crap it cost remington more to make their guns now. So instead keep making them the same way they made them cheaper and had the price stay the same. Like others have said the remington versa max is a cheap gun trying to get in on an expensive market. I have gone and felt them on the shelf don't feel that good. Any shell anytime whatever just markeeting. Honestly their a $800 gun marked up.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 am

I almost bought one... but I'm a shorter guy with small hands. I didn't like the forend being so wide. Then your right on the weight. Really Rem? Are you crazy? I love and own two Rems but this gun doesn't fit me.
So I bought a light agile Browning Maxus.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Re: Re: Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am

Takeem406 wrote:I almost bought one... but I'm a shorter guy with small hands. I didn't like the forend being so wide. Then your right on the weight. Really Rem? Are you crazy? I love and own two Rems but this gun doesn't fit me.
So I bought a light agile Browning Maxus.

Yep the SX3 is the same thing as a Maxus. Just no mag cut off and no fancy forend. So its gas. It uses a huge gas valve. Have yet to find a load it wont cycle.

Takeem406
hunter

Postby agkoh » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm

I own a Versamax. This is the 2nd year/season I have had it (bought it Dec 2011). I simply love it. Its not that bad to unload

I have shot Hundreds of light loads through it, no malfunctions. I have shot Hundreds of waterfowl loads (3"s and 3.5"s). No Malfunctions. Had a slight hiccup the other day hunting with my dad, some reason the 2nd shell did not feed. Hit the button, it fed, and have had no problems since. I will admit I have not cleaned it as much as I should have. Maybe 3x since I baught it (1500 rnds through it).

To the Original Post: The gun kicks a lot lighter than most guns I have shot shooting the same load. (I am not a big guy, so that's very nice for me). The gun is not that hard to unload if you read the directions.

I absolutely love it to death.
Dove-23
agkoh
hunter

Postby HiZ » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm

vertical_edge_800 wrote:I've been a remington kind of guy my whole life...\

Well... I couldn't stand the idea that I payed so much for a shotgun that I really can not stand. A buddy of mine fell in love with the idea of the versamax and was going to go buy an identical one to mine anyway- so he bought mine off me for $100 less than what I payed for it. So he's happy, I'm happy, and also the happy new owner of a Winchester SX3 in max-4 :hammer:

At least you got it right the second time around!!!

:welcome: to the Club of reliability and light weight!
HiZ
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Specklebelly wrote:Ok, I will say it and sorry in advance if your offended. Unless your eight or a 110 lbs female, who really cares about recoil and does it really matter?

You guys are discussing which gun kicks more or less like your shoulders are made of glass. If recoil is an issue, get a 20 gauge auto.

Recoil is why I stopped shooting my crappy SBE's. It was also a factor in getting rid of my M2, and Jonesy, if you genuinely think that the recoil from that Versa is anything near what gets pumped outta your 'nelli, you need to get off the pipe. I'll back ya on them being good guns, but you've got to be on serious narcotics to believe that no difference exists where recoil is concerned.

Now, with regard to your question about being eight or 110 lbs female, I tore my rotator cuff in 2008. I ruptured 4 disc's in my back and 2 in my neck in 2004. About the same time, I began to notice severe headaches in the blind every morning. I am 42, and I shoot an average of eight cases of steel shot during the regular duck season. That being said, recoil DOES matter to me, and it matters a lot.

I'm not at all offended, but to some people, recoil is a legitimate factor. Sorry in advance if your offended, but the folks that is ISN'T a factor for are typically young or don't shoot too many shells in an average season. Note that TK, above, is touting the wonder of his M2 20 gauge. That's 'cause he's old, like me.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby cootlover » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Cannon I am with I hurt my back years ago I got me a m2 20 ga benelli the first year they came out and I love it .I kill just as many ducks as any one else shooting a 12 gauge.
cootlover
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 pm

cootlover wrote:Cannon I am with I hurt my back years ago I got me a m2 20 ga benelli the first year they came out and I love it .I kill just as many ducks as any one else shooting a 12 gauge.

We old farts gotta stick together.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 am

TomKat wrote:I still love my Benelli M2.

I still dont know why anyone would want to own a 3.5" gun

Never fired a 3 1/2 shell at any waterfowl, but I do like the 3 1/2 for turkeys with the extra payload my gun seams to pattern tighter outside of 30 yards not sure why. I've shot 3's and 3 1/2's at coyotes and either will do.

Most people say they shoot them for the extra payload and that technically may be true, but I've never had a 3 1/2 pattern better then a 3 out of any gun I've shot. If the extra payload isn't going where it's suppose to the what's the point.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Duck Assassin88 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Shouldn't get mad when someone praises Remington either but it happened here. I have owned 6 different brands of guns gas, pump, inertia, and shot many and hunted beside many others. I have seen them all fail to feed jam what ever all kinds off crap some you can't even begin to explain why. There all man made there all mechanical they all will break you can bet on it. There is not a super gun that has no flaws or we wouldn't be having this discussion. If you want light recoil your better off with gas gun what ever it be. Everyone can say what they want there is a difference between gas and inertia. Like women, trucks, fishing lures and ammo its all preference. I own a versa max I have had it for 2 yrs not one malfunction not one yet but like them all the day will come. I duck hunt goose hunt and Turkey hunt with it. Its seen everything from 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 not a problem. Don't know a number of rounds I have shot through it but its a bunch. Its a good gun along with the Maxus SX3 and most other new autos. And the little problems they had Remington fixed for the guys free off charge no shiping nothing. I had a Benelli Vinci before this I traded it for the versa max. I liked the Vinci loved the action was so smooth like glass but had a couple jams and barrel was messed up shot high and left and poor patterns. Benelli told me it patterned fine and it shooting high was normal and it takes forever to get stuff back. Took it to dealer and traded. I look at them like our dogs though I know a good one when I see it no matter who's it is. In this case no matter what brand. And Remington hit the mark here.
Last edited by Duck Assassin88 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck Assassin88
Newb

Postby no3topqb » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:13 am

I just recently traded a 2 year old versamax for a new sx3 modb. And personally I couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong, the VM is a great gun, just didn't fit me. I tried all the spacers and shim kits that came with the gun, but still didn't fit. Recoil was less with the VM than any gun I have ever shot. Wished it would've fit, but I love this sx3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
no3topqb
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I bought a SBEII this spring and after reading all the post about the versa-max I was thinking :huh: maybe I should of kept with remington which I have shot all my life, hell I even have a nephew named Remington! My 11-87 is about 20 years old, bought my boys 870's etc. etc. etc. But man do I love my new benelli :thumbsup:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Oneshot-onekill » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 am

I have been a shooter and hunter for most of my life and researched the VersaMax before purchasing. I have recently purchased and taken the weapon to a skeet and trap range multiple times. To date I have put over 600 rounds through it alternating 2 3/4 and 3 shells. Thi weapon was flawless and so easy to shoot. I am wondering if you purchased a lemon of the lot? Now I have not trucked through the mud and weeds and can't speak to that. However I wanted to test the theory of one blog of shooting 1000 rounds without a jam. I only shot 600 and no way in hell was I going to leave my weapon dirty for the next shoot so my OCD kicked in and broke her down for a good scrub. Anyway I am very happy with the performance of this weapon and think remington got this right after a very long time of trial an error.
Oneshot-onekill
Newb

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:44 am

vertical_edge_800 wrote:Well I gotta be honest- I bought it thinking, what's a few more ounces over an 870? If you sit in a blind I guess it doesn't matter really, and the length wouldn't bother you so much either. And that's how I usually hunt... So normally it wouldn't be an issue. They didn't have a camo one in stock with the 26" barrel, I waited and waited and one never showed up. Also- a jam is a jam don't matter how it gets cleared, it doesn't matter who pulls the trigger, if you pull the trigger and it don't go bang after the first shot, what's the point of a $1200 shotgun? I seriously doubt a new magazine cap would have prevented it from coming loose. It should work from the factory anyway.

I only jump shoot when the shooting over decoys sucks in my normal hunting areas- I'd like to think I've stayed in good shape over the years, the shooting is often so good in that area because most hunters simply cannot walk their fat 250lb, clogged artery ass out there. Which is also a good thing because most the people I meet out there are generally other military folks..

I walked and did the same hunt this morning with my SX3 shooting the same loads, shot 19 shells and walked out with 8 birds. No jams, it did kick less too. It might be a perceived recoil thing more than anything from a different fitting gun but I never thought "ouch" when I pulled the trigger.

Whats the daily bag limit where you live?
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby stephenw12g » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:52 pm

First off why are you shooting 3 1/2s to kill ducks I've been killing birds my whole life with 2 3/4inch shells my opimion is if u gotta shoot those big shells to kill duck you need to learn how to shoot I've got a few old browning a5s and I'd put them up against any gun on the market today the only time I shoot 3"is when goose huting and that still not very often duck hunting is about wrking birds not ur gun wrking you and nothing more awsome than a group cupped up feet down about to lite in ur decs that when u shoot not when there 2 miles away the duck hunters of today have lost all concept of duck hunting don't mean to offend anyone if I did sorry.have a good one
stephenw12g
Newb

Postby buckmeister » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:51 pm

I was shouldering a Versa Max today, really liked the way it came to shoulder, really like the grip, yes its heavy comparatively but I am sure that's why the recoil is light on the gun.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby BigAngry47 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm not usually one to judge, but I'll make an exception this once! First off, the magazine cap issue has been fixed, yes, it should not have been an issue but what can you do? Call Remington and they will send a replacement cap. Second, why on God's green earth would you hike 5 miles (highly unlikely) to jump shoot? That's retarded, bub! I'm no spring chicken and will be the first to admit I'm on the fat side, but I am reasonably in good shape! That said I still wouldn't walk 5 miles in the mud and thick weeds to get a free gun of my choice much less jump shoot birds.....! Third, the gun comes with a rust preventative on the working parts called cosmoline. If you do not clean your bolt and other moving parts of this it will become like a latex glove torn in to little pieces and clog the firing pin and trigger mechanism which may or may not cause a misfire. A little elbow grease will fix that. Fourth, If you are a jump hunter then you need to stick to much lighter guns to walk with. Franchii and Benelli are lighter than most but you will still suffer from "overly long guns". The guns gas operating system works quite well, although self cleaning as Remington says is a bit of a stretch. If you want a gun with a shorter barrel, buy a gun with a shorter barrel. Problem solved there! And last.... if you can't figure out how to eject unspent shells without dry firing the weapon..... you probably don't need to be using a gun..... :fingerhead:
BigAngry47
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum