Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Postby Tgunz_64 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 pm

There is not one thing about the versa max that excites me. It's heavy, the fore end feels like holding a 2x4, and why doesn't the fore end click in somehow on the receiver side? Feels like it's free floating and cheap. I guess I'd buy a beretta or sx3 over the versa max.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby CaptainWv » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 am

TomKat wrote:I still love my Benelli M2.

I still dont know why anyone would want to own a 3.5" gun

I like 3.5 for Turkey, and some guys shoot them for waterfowl, I don't very much, but if I need to borrow a shell from someone ( or many) and he hands me a 3.5 I want to be able to shoot it.

On to the Versa Max, I dont own one, wont own one. But its a fit feel thing for me, nothing to do with function of the weapon
CaptainWv
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't know what Remington was thinking when they thought they could improve on the wingmaster 870 design. Not a better, fool proof, butter-smooth action design in my opinion. The express and versamax are definitely steps in the wrong direction as far as pump designs and workmanship goes.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Tgunz_64 wrote:There is not one thing about the versa max that excites me. It's heavy, the fore end feels like holding a 2x4, and why doesn't the fore end click in somehow on the receiver side? Feels like it's free floating and cheap. I guess I'd buy a beretta or sx3 over the versa max.

Same here. I held it and if felt very unbalanced to me.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Okie Ducker wrote:I don't know what Remington was thinking when they thought they could improve on the wingmaster 870 design. Not a better, fool proof, butter-smooth action design in my opinion. The express and versamax are definitely steps in the wrong direction as far as pump designs and workmanship goes.

I agree completely that the versamax is definitely a step in the wrong direction as far as PUMP DESIGNS go.

Honk-n-quack wrote:
Tgunz_64 wrote:There is not one thing about the versa max that excites me. It's heavy, the fore end feels like holding a 2x4, and why doesn't the fore end click in somehow on the receiver side? Feels like it's free floating and cheap. I guess I'd buy a beretta or sx3 over the versa max.

Same here. I held it and if felt very unbalanced to me.

I'll admit that the ergonomics of the fore end jumped out as a feature that I hated when I picked the gun up the first time. On the other hand, the first four shots that went through the gun, without a cleaning (straight out of the box), brought down four mid-range ducks. Never noticed the ergonomics of the fore arm since. Fit is a legitimate matter of preference. Some people like it, others don't. Function, on the other hand, is a universal matter.

I have benellis, berettas, Brownings, Remington's, winchesters, ithacas, and stoegers. I can honestly say that I am convinced that none of the guns in my closet are any better waterfowl guns. Reliable function, along with pattern performance and manageable recoil are at the top of my list when it comes to a worthy scatter gun. Thus far, the versamax that my 13 year-old daughter is now running has performed flawlessly, and enough so that I would put it above my Brownings and benellis in the realm of reliability. Add to that the fact that I can only relate the recoil to an old Remington 1100, and the fact that it has been a very versatile patterning gun. Absolutely meets my criteria as an excellent fowling gun.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum