Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Re: Versamax review... and why I sold it...

Postby Tgunz_64 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 pm

There is not one thing about the versa max that excites me. It's heavy, the fore end feels like holding a 2x4, and why doesn't the fore end click in somehow on the receiver side? Feels like it's free floating and cheap. I guess I'd buy a beretta or sx3 over the versa max.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby CaptainWv » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 am

TomKat wrote:I still love my Benelli M2.

I still dont know why anyone would want to own a 3.5" gun

I like 3.5 for Turkey, and some guys shoot them for waterfowl, I don't very much, but if I need to borrow a shell from someone ( or many) and he hands me a 3.5 I want to be able to shoot it.

On to the Versa Max, I dont own one, wont own one. But its a fit feel thing for me, nothing to do with function of the weapon
The WV Waterfowl Group. Find us on Facebook and Twitter
CaptainWv
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't know what Remington was thinking when they thought they could improve on the wingmaster 870 design. Not a better, fool proof, butter-smooth action design in my opinion. The express and versamax are definitely steps in the wrong direction as far as pump designs and workmanship goes.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Tgunz_64 wrote:There is not one thing about the versa max that excites me. It's heavy, the fore end feels like holding a 2x4, and why doesn't the fore end click in somehow on the receiver side? Feels like it's free floating and cheap. I guess I'd buy a beretta or sx3 over the versa max.

Same here. I held it and if felt very unbalanced to me.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Okie Ducker wrote:I don't know what Remington was thinking when they thought they could improve on the wingmaster 870 design. Not a better, fool proof, butter-smooth action design in my opinion. The express and versamax are definitely steps in the wrong direction as far as pump designs and workmanship goes.

I agree completely that the versamax is definitely a step in the wrong direction as far as PUMP DESIGNS go.

Honk-n-quack wrote:
Tgunz_64 wrote:There is not one thing about the versa max that excites me. It's heavy, the fore end feels like holding a 2x4, and why doesn't the fore end click in somehow on the receiver side? Feels like it's free floating and cheap. I guess I'd buy a beretta or sx3 over the versa max.

I'll admit that the ergonomics of the fore end jumped out as a feature that I hated when I picked the gun up the first time. On the other hand, the first four shots that went through the gun, without a cleaning (straight out of the box), brought down four mid-range ducks. Never noticed the ergonomics of the fore arm since. Fit is a legitimate matter of preference. Some people like it, others don't. Function, on the other hand, is a universal matter.

I have benellis, berettas, Brownings, Remington's, winchesters, ithacas, and stoegers. I can honestly say that I am convinced that none of the guns in my closet are any better waterfowl guns. Reliable function, along with pattern performance and manageable recoil are at the top of my list when it comes to a worthy scatter gun. Thus far, the versamax that my 13 year-old daughter is now running has performed flawlessly, and enough so that I would put it above my Brownings and benellis in the realm of reliability. Add to that the fact that I can only relate the recoil to an old Remington 1100, and the fact that it has been a very versatile patterning gun. Absolutely meets my criteria as an excellent fowling gun.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby liquidmetal983 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:25 pm

I have the versamax competition the only problem I have is slug accuracy. 50 yards is the max I use slugs since it is the distance i can keep 1in groups with most shotguns, best group I can do is 6in at 50y bench rest supported shooting, sandbag, trigger job - whole 9 yards perfect conditions. Pisses me off big time I dont understand it tight choke tight mag cap screw . my rem 870 pump 1in group at 50y. otherwise cant complain bought mine jan 2015.
liquidmetal983
Newb

Postby kcwellington » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:01 am

Okie Ducker wrote:I don't know what Remington was thinking when they thought they could improve on the wingmaster 870 design. Not a better, fool proof, butter-smooth action design in my opinion. The express and versamax are definitely steps in the wrong direction as far as pump designs and workmanship goes.

:huh: Yea the PUMP model of the Versamax is not very good. :lol3: On a serious note, I held just about every shotgun out there when I was in the market and the Vmax just felt sloppy and loose to me. Some people love'em and that's fine but it felt like I was holding a 4x4 that was about to fall apart. jmo..of course! I ended up walking out with a 3" A5 and so far so good.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:57 am

cannon wrote:

I agree completely that the versamax is definitely a step in the wrong direction as far as PUMP DESIGNS go.

Honk-n-quack wrote:

I'll admit that the ergonomics of the fore end jumped out as a feature that I hated when I picked the gun up the first time. On the other hand, the first four shots that went through the gun, without a cleaning (straight out of the box), brought down four mid-range ducks. Never noticed the ergonomics of the fore arm since. Fit is a legitimate matter of preference. Some people like it, others don't. Function, on the other hand, is a universal matter.

I have benellis, berettas, Brownings, Remington's, winchesters, ithacas, and stoegers. I can honestly say that I am convinced that none of the guns in my closet are any better waterfowl guns. Reliable function, along with pattern performance and manageable recoil are at the top of my list when it comes to a worthy scatter gun. Thus far, the versamax that my 13 year-old daughter is now running has performed flawlessly, and enough so that I would put it above my Brownings and benellis in the realm of reliability. Add to that the fact that I can only relate the recoil to an old Remington 1100, and the fact that it has been a very versatile patterning gun. Absolutely meets my criteria as an excellent fowling gun.

The lad is spot on... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to the mall.
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:12 pm

The Versa has several good things going for it that the other company's don't, first Remington does not hose you on parts, just price a Browning Barrel or an Beretta A-400 barrel! the A-400 is $799.00! that's bull! one of the worst customer service company's going with the most expensive parts that are rarely in stock and Browning is pretty good but still expensive. Remington has excellent customer service (They need it!) but you can get parts fast and for a reasonable price and they will stand behind there guns, unlike Beretta.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:53 pm

I have just started my journey with the Versamax but today I put a few 3.5 inch shells through mine and it is better on felt recoil than my SBII was with 3.5 inch shells.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Meleagris1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Our early duck season just ended and it was my first with a new Versamax waterfowl pro. I can't say enough about the gun, never missed a beat in the field, fits me like a glove and is without a doubt the softest recoiling 12ga I have ever shot, and I have shot them all, being active in clay sports. Its noticeably softer than my 11-87 which is quite impressive. Very, very happy with this purchase. :beer:
Meleagris1
hunter

Postby ohhiitznik01 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:36 pm

I just got a new versamax waterfowl pro. I love the gun. Coming from a supernova pump it's a big difference. The factory chokes are so so, I have a couple cremators on order from carlsons. I'll let you know how they pattern.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
ohhiitznik01
Newb

Postby lovethosesooners » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:32 am

Understand the fit being a personal thing but seems to me many of the negative responses are from those that haven't shot one-"assuming" the fit isn't the issue, really don't understand how anyone would have a bad opinion of any that have come out after the initial release where the few issues were corrected-for any heavy applications, IMO, nothing else comes close.
I liked mine enough to have bought a 2nd.
lovethosesooners
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum