Who's shooting SxS for Waterfowl?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Who's shooting SxS for Waterfowl?

Postby Joe Guide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:37 am

I enjoy using a SxS shotgun for waterfowl.

It's not as nice as a Parker, or Winchester Model 21, actually it's not that pretty, but it does it's job on the ducks, and accounted for the death of many a Specklebelly, Snow and Canadas. I do have a Model 24 that I was given when I was twelve with 30" barrels and double triggers.

I shot it so much that the beavertail forend split, and all I had was a role of "black 100 mph tape" and taped it up. Got more than my share of my swamp gun for ducks. It is a MARXIA...SxS. It's a 12 ga, 3" mag, with 32" barrels- made in 1953 in Spain. I do have to get it "tuned up" every three years, and love it for flooded timber, decoy shooting or pass shooting in the bays or saltmarsh.

Like to hear from other SxS waterfowlers as to what is their favorate SxS they use, why they like theirs, as I think gentlemen prefer to use a SxS for waterfowl hunting rather than a pump or automatic (which have their place).

Best Regards, and Christmas' gif....

JOE GUIDE
Carolina lowcountry
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: Who's shooting SxS for Waterfowl?

Postby Alan Rausch » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 am

I love sxs guns as well. In 1974 when I was 15 years old, I bought a cheap Brazilian made sxs 12 gauge, it has 28" barrels and mod and full choke. I have painted it camo, and refinished it since but still use it in the marsh every year. The stock has a small split where it meets the frame, but it is not deep. I also have a 1950ʻs 16 stevens/savage I use sometimes. I own or have owned Mossberg, Remington and Winchester pumps, they hardly get used, actually almost never. I also use one of the doubles for dove and quail. Both have two triggers, so after almost 40 years of hunting with doubles, I do not like anything else. I was also a police officer for 15 years, and trained with pumps, so it is not like I canʻt use one, I just prefer doubles.
Alan Rausch
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am

Love the traditional looks and feel of a S x S. I've currently been using an Antonio Zoli 28 inch barreled, raised vented rib, single trigger, ejectors, chokes opened to IC & M, case colored receiver. I'm in the process of having the stocked glassed after I dropped it resulting in a couple of small cracks. I plan on refinishing it myself after the glass work. I'm going to put lots of coats of tru-oil to try and help protect it from the harsh effects of waterfowl hunting. By the way, does having a single-select trigger and ejectors take away from the "gentlemans status when using a S x S :wink: "?
Last edited by Okie Ducker on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 pm

i have a stevens 311a love it but it always dose light strikes on the left side. even got a new firing pin in it but still light strikes if any of you guys has a fix let me know.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I have my grandfathers Stevens 311H and i shoot it a couple times a year. The places I hunt are like the spots we started hunting together at. Its a great gun for close in shooting , also it takes me back in time to "our"hunts.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Joe Guide......What do you have done with your "tune-ups"?
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

winchester1852 wrote:i have a stevens 311a love it but it always dose light strikes on the left side. even got a new firing pin in it but still light strikes if any of you guys has a fix let me know.

Win 1852 you may need to change your hammer spring. I had that problem and that cured my light hits. Got my parts from Nurmrich arms, was quick ordered and had mt parts 4 days later.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Leaky-NY wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:i have a stevens 311a love it but it always dose light strikes on the left side. even got a new firing pin in it but still light strikes if any of you guys has a fix let me know.

Win 1852 you may need to change your hammer spring. I had that problem and that cured my light hits. Got my parts from Nurmrich arms, was quick ordered and had mt parts 4 days later.

Leaky

thanks for the info. but i cant exactly remember what i had replaced on it but it was in the shop more than one time i will probably just take it to a gunsmith and get them to replace both hammer springs.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

I occasionally shoot a Spanish 10 ga SxS for ducks. It has 32" barrels but is a pain to carry in more than about a mile. Reason it hasnt seen as much action this year is that i got my Mag 10 now.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 pm

I have in the past used a Zabala 12 guage with 2 3/4" chambers and 28" barrels with success, shot my first scotch double with it as a matter of fact.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby badgreenbird » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:20 pm

I love SxS for hunting, especially waterfowl. I started using (and abusing) a nice English SxS that my grandfather gave me as a teenager. Eventually I realised I really shouldn't be using that gun the way I was... so I bought a SxS Baikal and had it chopped down to approximately the same dimensions. I continue to use that gun and do very well with it.
badgreenbird
hunter

Postby Greentimber70 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:12 pm

A few years agoI bought a Ruger Gold Label (that I'm now looking to sell) that I was planning on being my main gun. Then I started hunting rice fields in serious muck so I stuck with my all weather Red Label. Now I'm back in flooded timber where I belong and from time to time I shoot my old 311A chambered in 16 gauge. It's light and makes a great timber gun. Mine was striking light on one side too. My gunsmith changed the springs out after season. I also gave it a serious cleaning. We'll see if it works.
Greentimber70
hunter

Postby TopWop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm

A couple times a year my Uncle and I will take our SxS's out.
Mine is an old Ithica partridge gun. 20 gauge, 24" barrels it
will handle 3" shells. I hate shooting 3's because the gun is
so light it kicks like a sumbich. I mostly use it for grouse
and trap.

My Dad gave me the gun. He said that there was a matching
O/U with it. He could only afford the one. I'd love to track one
down though.
TopWop
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I have a 20 gauge Parker that I use pheasant hunting, but I use Nice Shot in case we jump a teal or woodie out of some puddle in the woods :wink: if I had some money, I'd be interested in that Gold Label. My dad has one and I love it, but it's worth too much to take into the swamp
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Postby Greentimber70 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Yep, that's kind of where I'm at with it. I've never really tried to sell it but I might this year. If I don't I'm going to start taking it out. I've never been one to not use a gun. Hunt em, hard, but put em' away clean and dry! :beer:
Greentimber70
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Only sometimes.

sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Greentimber70 wrote:Yep, that's kind of where I'm at with it. I've never really tried to sell it but I might this year. If I don't I'm going to start taking it out. I've never been one to not use a gun. Hunt em, hard, but put em' away clean and dry! :beer:

Splinter forend/pistol grip stock? I like it. It doesn't even hurt that bad...

sherlockbonez wrote:Only sometimes.

What's that? It's pretty
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Postby Greentimber70 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Yep. Mine has a pistol grip with a splinter forend. From what I gather the pistol grip style are a little more hard to come by than the English stock models. All have splinter forends.
Greentimber70
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Greentimber70 wrote:Yep. Mine has a pistol grip with a splinter forend. From what I gather the pistol grip style are a little more hard to come by than the English stock models. All have splinter forends.

I'm actually in the market for a 12 or 20 gauge SxS that doesn't cost too much.. I don't wanna bring my Parker in the marsh.. If I had a 12 or 20 gauge Parker reproduction that'd be different
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am

I agree with you a Parker doesn't need to be out on the saltmarsh...it's too valuable to abuse it out in the waterfowl blind. I will probably shoot the Russian Baikal 3" Mag 12 ga SxS with 30" barrels more this duck season.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum