Rem oil cause jam in cold?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Rem oil cause jam in cold?

Postby buckmeister » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:39 pm

My friends SBII double fed this morning in the cold and the bot/action would stick, he said he cleaned it the night before and used rem oil to lube it. I told him to spray it down with some CLP Break Free and he did and the gun was fine the rest of the hunt. I told him I had heard some people claim that Rem Oil would cause sticking in the cold. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Re: Rem oil cause jam in cold?

Postby dukhntr » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Yes, Remoil is junk when it comes to cold weather semi autoin'. Seen it make guns fail many of times in cold weather. I keep a can of Breakfree in my blind bag. Use it several times a year for other people's guns during cold weather duckin'...
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby Honkers41 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Agrree...never had any luck with it in any of my semi's in the past..CLP all the way..
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 pm

I have used rem oil for years on all my guns. Pistols, shotguns, rifles, etc. I have never had an issue with rem oil. I have used about every kind of oil made on my guns. I have had good luck with all of them. What matters the most when oiling a semi auto is to use proper amounts of oil. I have seen time and time again people put enough oil on their guns to last me a lifetime. Then complain because the oil isnt any good. Many times it is operator error. It only takes a few drops in select areas. I like rem oil because it won't collect the fine dust and dirts. I pretty much only use it nowdays and have had good luck even in negative temperatures
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby Spunky » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 am

Over application of oil. If your old enough, remember the old Brilcream commercial " A little dab will do ya". Just a little dab is all you need.
Spunky
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 am

Rem Oil does have a reputation for facilitating semi auto shotgun malfunctions in the cold. Get a better cold weather lubricant. Breakfree, if you desire corrosion protection, or FP10 if you want one of the best cold weather lubricants. Under oiling will cause fewer functioning problems in cold weather than will over oiling.
tripleb
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 am

Most any oil will work when used properly.
You can't just dunk a shotgun in oil and expect it to work.

My procedure to clean a semi-auto:

Break the gun down.
Oil it.
Clean ALL the oil off.
Run a barrel snake thru the barrel.
My shotgun has all black parts so I'll oil just the places that are worn and NOT black.
In other words I put a drop of oil on the shiny spots. (slides etc.)
Then I reassemble the shotgun.
Last step is to wipe it down with a slightly oily rag that I keep in a jelly jar.
Go hunting and then repeat.

Rem oil has never caused me problems. Have hunted in -15F or lower without any problems.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:30 am

The problem with remoil is that is varnishes when exposed to heat and friction, but usually only does that when guys use too much. It will also suck in powder fouling like it's crack, but again usually only when you apply too much. I'll use it on non-friction surfaces of my guns, like the parkerized finish on my 870's but that stuff will never touch the inside of my guns. I've seen too many problems caused by remoil and when I would take a gun apart that a customer said would keep jamming/malfunctioning on him, I could almost always tell when they used remoil.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 pm

The only time RemOil has given me problems is when I use TOO MUCH. And, if you use too much, any oil will cause the same problems.

Douse the gun parts with RemOil, then blow it all off with 100psi shop air. What remains is the perfect amount to do the job without causing problems. Tested to -4º...

By the way, while I don't care for WD-40 as a gun lube, I have found that a couple of spritz' of that stuff will free up a sticky autoloader in the field and keep it running for the rest of the hunt. I did this the other day when my Gold got real sluggish at just under 18º F. :thumbsup:
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 pm

I live in Alaska and have put cans and small cups of Rem oil outside in very cold temps and it did not gel and the viscosity did not come up more than any of the other oils. I know some of the tactical hand gun shooters use it for students who's guns develop issues during winter classes! I no longer use it though. I have had trouble with FP-10 slowing my guns way down in the winter. Break Free CLP has been great for me no matter when or where.

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:24 am

What about hornady one shot . So far that stuff works well as cleaner and dry lube. Haven't tested corrosion yet though
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:11 am

This works good if you use it correctly.
Four dollars and will last you until you are done hunting.
That can is twenty five years old and mostly full. A little dab will do ya.
Attachments
1379952612451.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:52 am

Too much of any oil is bad. I run my autos near dry when lows hit about 20-25F.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 am

Rem oil caused my 935 not to cycle in 10F temperatures. Mossberg told me not to use Rem Oil . I use nothing but Hoppes, same oil I used as a 11 yr old. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 am

Dry as a bone.
talltimber
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34 am

Rem dry lube is tested to -40 for those worried about rem oil in the cold. Same Teflon coating too
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Windrider » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Rem Oil,is the Devil. :mad:

Air conditioner turbine oil. Good.
Windrider
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 am

Now given I don't live in the artic but I do hunt down to the teens on occasion and have never had any issues that I can attribute to the use of Remoil. As others have alluded to, any oil in excess will cause a malfunction in most guns. Most everything is good in moderation. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:12 am

Honkers41 wrote:Agrree...never had any luck with it in any of my semi's in the past..CLP all the way..

THIS ^^^^^^
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am

aunt betty wrote:This works good if you use it correctly.
Four dollars and will last you until you are done hunting.
That can is twenty five years old and mostly full. A little dab will do ya.

Your post reminds me of my father. To this day he still uses oil from his truck.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 am

i don't hunt in -10 temps but I have never had any problem with Remoil. CLP seem to be more of a solvent to me. It smells nasty which is why I don't use it, but i'm funny like that. I have used Hoppes and it is a lot thicker than either Rem or CLP and I have never had a problem with that. Probably too much oil. P.S. I only hunt with simi autos, A5 (could'nt ya guess). B Gold, BARs, and Rem 1100 mostly.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm

dukhntr wrote:Yes, Remoil is junk when it comes to cold weather semi autoin'. Seen it make guns fail many of times in cold weather. I keep a can of Breakfree in my blind bag. Use it several times a year for other people's guns during cold weather duckin'...

That's my experience too. However their shotgun cleaner is great. I use Hornady One Shot to lube my Maxus. No issues down around 10 above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Takeem406
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Takeem406 wrote:
dukhntr wrote:Yes, Remoil is junk when it comes to cold weather semi autoin'. Seen it make guns fail many of times in cold weather. I keep a can of Breakfree in my blind bag. Use it several times a year for other people's guns during cold weather duckin'...

That's my experience too. However their shotgun cleaner is great. I use Hornady One Shot to lube my Maxus. No issues down around 10 above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

One shot is GREAT stuff
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 am

I never had a problem with it in any of my guns but I've come across quite a few stories of folks having problems with it.I stopped using it inside the guns but will use up what little's left wiping down the outsides.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am

Dry lube by Remington not remoil is the product for -45. Remoil goes down to like 10 I believe . Problem solved....
DuckmanOK
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum