Rem oil cause jam in cold?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Rem oil cause jam in cold?

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

I use Remoil on my 1100s ,11-87, and SP10 in all weather from 100 degree dove hunting to 10 degree goose hunting, Ive never had a issue with it BUT I don't pour it on. I put it on a rag and then wipe the surface down and for the inside mechanisms, I use a Qtip to apply a very light coating. Thin is the key
Last edited by cluckmeister on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 am

The only thing rem oil is good for is to keep in your bag/boat just in case. You can spray it in a slow moving gun and get it working good enough for a hunt most of the time, its saved a couple single-shot days for us.

I use hopps 9 gun/reel lube. Bought a bottle for probably $5 two years ago and cleaned many guns and fishing reels with it. $5 for 2 years is dirt freaking cheap and I have never had a problem with it.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 am

If you guys want to believe that what oil you use matters...fine. Buy the most expensive product you can possibly find. @ It HAS to be good if it's expensive.@

There is NO substitute for proper cleaning and maintenance. Am sick of hearing grown men boasting about how they haven't cleaned "Betsy" in three years.

Having said that, I tried hosing down my first semi-auto with different high-dollar sprays because it kept sticking...It had never been cleaned and had thousands of trap loads shot thru it. Apparently Beretta 390's are trap-guns and so far each one I buy has the same issues. People shoot them until it burps and instead of cleaning it or maintaining it they simply buy a new one. WOW! Talk about lazy and stupid.

The problem with that first 390 was that the recoil spring in the stock was FILTHY and CORRODED. No amount of spraying was going to fix that but I tried. Basically wasted a couple twenties to learn this.
PLZ, learn from my mistake!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:43 am

Aunt Betty Ive found that the price and or brand of the oil doesn't matter its the thickness and how much you put on the gun that causes jamming issues. Also you are right about cleaning a firearm, good maintenance is a must in my opinion.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Aunt Betty,

If you know of anybody getting rid of their guns because they burp, please send them my way. I will gladly take them off their hands fora small fee. :lol3:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:45 pm

A5Gunner wrote:Aunt Betty,

If you know of anybody getting rid of their guns because they burp, please send them my way. I will gladly take them off their hands fora small fee. :lol3:

Go to gunshop. Ask for the one on consignment.
If its a Beretta 390...buy it.
Send it to me and I will change its diaper and burp it for you.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby The Drake » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:22 pm

ITS ONE OF THE WORST OILS MADE TODAY !! Seen it slow down and gum up several auto's I live in wisconsin, it gets a COLD
The Drake
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

The Drake, if its gumming up its on to thick JMHO
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby brianm257 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 pm

I use rem oil and never had problems. However, when I clean my shotgun, I will tear it all the way down and spray and wipe dry.I do this after every use. I never leave any visible residue...spray and wipe dry. The only time I'll leave excess oil is if it's during an off season or I don't think I'll be using it for a while. I have yet to see any excessive wear or malfunction from oiling/cleaning this way....maybe I've been doing it wrong, but works for me.
brianm257
hunter

Postby brianm257 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:Rem oil caused my 935 not to cycle in 10F temperatures. Mossberg told me not to use Rem Oil . I use nothing but Hoppes, same oil I used as a 11 yr old. Ned S

I cant believe you actually got to talk to someone at Mossberg! About 18 years ago I bought a brand new 835 ulti-mag and half the time it woud go "click" instead of "boom"! Right in the heat of MN waterfowl season! Tried like hell to get a hold of customer service and the dealer I bought it from wouldn't stand behind it either! I ended up eating the cost of that gun....trading it on an 870 3 incher, man was pissed!! I still get pissed about it to this day ha ha!! So every chance I get, I bash Mossberg!! All they had to do was answer the phone...maybe things have changed over there now?
brianm257
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:22 pm

I have a can of Rem Oil and also a can of CLP and I use both. I just grab which ever can is closer and convenient. Never had any problems but I use it sparingly. I also have some outters oil in a drop bottle that I use a drop on my shiny spots or high friction areas. Never had jambs, guns never felt sluggish or slow as some of you described in your posts. But I have to agree you have to oil sparingly and you should be fine. A lot of Law Enforcement Gun Ranges use CLP for their cleaning and Lubricant. So that has to say something about the product. Both will do the job.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I run two stroke oil in my berettas and in my benellis
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Jon Bergren wrote: Mossberg told me not to use Rem Oil .. Ned S

Did you actually expect Mossberg to recommend the use of Remington's oil? C'mon, man...

Mossberg rep on the phone: "You're looking for a good gun oil for your Mossberg, Mr. Swygard? Well, we highly recommend Remington products....and their gun oil is as fine as any lube you'll find. Anything else we can help you with, Mr. Swygard?"

:lol3:

If you have had problems with any gun oil (not talking about sewing machine oil, 3-IN-1 oil, motor oil, or water-displacer) in your autoloader, then you are an over-luber. :thumbsup:
The problem isn't the gun oil, the problem is the guy holding the can. :rolleyes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:11 pm

mudpack wrote:The problem isn't the gun oil, the problem is the guy holding the can. :rolleyes:

Same can be said for a lot of guns..etc. :lol3:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum