SBE II Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo problem.

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SBE II Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo problem.

Postby Netstar1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Bought a new SBE II in the new Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo pattern. This morning I was disassembling the gun to clean after hunting yesterday in the rain. Noticed a large section of the camo was gone. The camo is flaking off the receiver. Only had the gun since the season started. Guess I'll call my Benelli rep tomorrow.
Netstar1
hunter

Re: SBE II Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo problem.

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 pm

There is a good chance that you had some secondary contact with the solvent or oil you used. I like using Breakfree CLP as it does not harm the camo finish. In the future really try not to get any chemicals on the exterior. I use only a damp rag to wipe off the exterior finish. I even use a shop rag to handle the gun while cleaning to prevent chemical contact when handling the gun (during cleaning, that is).

On a side note, I have personally experienced the same thing you described with my Super Nova. I used Breakfree "Powder Blast" or something to that effect...I accidentally got some on my trigger assembly and didn't wipe it off. After it sat for a period of time I noticed the camo cracking/bubbling/peeling in that small area. I failed to read the warning on the label about the effect the product would have on plastic finishes, specifically camo finishes. Entirely my fault. Oh well.

Call Benelli and see what they can do for you since the gun is under warranty. There is a chance they can help you out, but don't be too surprised if they aren't willing to fix it.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Netstar1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 pm

No chemicals used on this gun. No bubbling on the camo finish and the finish flakes off with just your finger nail. The camo finish is not adhering to the finish on the reciever. The Max4 finish on my M2 has held up fine.
Netstar1
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:28 pm

I have a Remington Versamax, the MODB finish is wearing really fast. This is my second season, but just putting it into my case seems to wear the finish. It is rather disappointing, but I love the gun. I would contact Benelli like you said.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby arquintana » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Ive had my Browning Maxus with the duratouch coating duck blind on it and have had no problems with the coating coming off. I have followed the owners manual when it says to stay away from certain types of gun oil. (I know rem oil is one of them) as well as I have done my best to clean the exterior with a damp towel when needed. the only area where camo is missing on my gun is a small nick in the barrel where my younger cousin aimed my gun up in the air and hit the ceiling fan on it... that was a fantastic noise.
arquintana
Newb

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Netstar1 wrote:Bought a new SBE II in the new Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo pattern. This morning I was disassembling the gun to clean after hunting yesterday in the rain. Noticed a large section of the camo was gone. The camo is flaking off the receiver. Only had the gun since the season started. Guess I'll call my Benelli rep tomorrow.

benelli will put a new coat of camo on for you, it will take awhile for you to get it back and it will probably happen again. you could try getting it hydro dipped it would be quicker and maybe better quality. my 2 cents
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum