Browning KABOOM...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Browning KABOOM...

Postby tmitchell49 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 pm

I've been a lurker for years and have enjoyed all the great posts on the site. I'm here today to share with you my experience with Browning's customer service. Let's start off with I shoot a Browning Gold Lite 10ga for geese and big water hunting and a Browning Silver 12ga for all other activities. So, I am, was, a fan.

About 4 weeks ago while hunting for divers in Eastern NC I was shooting my 10ga and had a horrible experience. I had shot several times that afternoon and then lined up on a bird and watched the barrel expand and then explode right in front of me. I check myself and others around me and no one was hurt. Now, I call Browning and the first question they ask is "was anybody hurt" when I say no they go into "it's not the guns fault" and you should check with your ammo manufactor. I'm not saying they are completely wrong but I was holding their gun when it blew up and right, wrong or indifferent I consider this a gun issue and expect them to make it right.

They call back today, after I sent the gun to them for inspection at my costs and state again that it wasn't the guns fault and they will install a new barrel for $213 a discount since retail is $360 AND they will not return the barrel I originally paid for since they are providing the discount. They "destroy it and prevent anyone from using the barrel again or sending it in again to get another discoutned barrel." As you can see from the pictures the barrel is unusable and I wanted to mount it or make a lamp or something out of it...

Just wanted to share my experince with them and get this out to as many people as possible. I guess I'm going to have to pull the old SBE2 out of the safe and used it from now on.

tmitchell49
Newb

Re: Browning KABOOM...

Postby rcase1234 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Man, I would be ticked! Not only from the explosion but that they wouldn't replace it free of charge or at least like maybe $100. That is a pretty serious issue. After that I would say so long to browning (after I raised hell on the phone with them)
rcase1234
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 pm

I had a 1100 Remington Skeet B do that to me years ago that I bought used and Remington replaced the whole gun for the price of freight, $38.00. I still shoot the replacement.
The way the bbl blew in close to even strips makes me suspisous of the mfg. process.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 pm

id be worried about the bolt as well.....since you have to at least get a new barrel, i wouldnt worry about that end....but the bolt probably saw more pressure than it would like... it seems it probably would have slammed back pretty hard...so both ends of the bolt could see some issues that might give you grief later on

id want a whole new gun!!! NOT JUST THE BARREL.
the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby road duck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 pm

I can't add any helpful comment about your issue with Browning but I'm sure happy that you and your hunting partners were not hurt. That looks real ugly.
road duck
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 pm

its good no one was hurt. just for future reference what brand name of ammo were you using.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Am I missing something here? This clearly looks like it was caused by an obstruction and not a manufactures defect. Browning states that this is not a manufactures defect and offers to put a new barrel on it at a reduced price. $213 is very reasonable. They can't give the barrel back due to liability these days. You fault them for this and don't want anything to do with them. :huh:

Glad you are alive and ok. If you think Benellis better, check out Njonesy's Kaboom (recent thread-extended choke blown barrel) and how much Benelli is charging him for a new barrel. I believe it was over $400.
Last edited by everythings ducky on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm

did a wad get stuck?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:17 pm

everythings ducky wrote:Am I missing something here? This clearly looks like it was caused by an obstruction and not a manufactures defect. Browning states that this is not a manufactures defect and offers to put a new barrel on it at a reduced price. $213 is very reasonable. They can't give the barrel back due to liability these days. You fault them for this and don't want anything to do with them. :huh:

Glad you are alive and ok.

Yeah that!! Looks to me like an obstruction caused the expansion. If the barrel was clear, it would never have blown out so far, it most likely would have just cracked the barrel.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby tmitchell49 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm

I consider myself and the folks hunting with me lucky. Browning said they think it was a stuck wad that did this and that's the reason they won't make this right. I somewhat understand the arguement but to me it happened in their gun and they should do the right thing. I was shooting a mixed bag of last season's shells primiarly Remington's and Federal's. For what it's worth, it was the first time I hunted the gun after cleaning it and putting it in the safe after last season....
tmitchell49
Newb

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 pm

tmitchell49 wrote:I consider myself and the folks hunting with me lucky. Browning said they think it was a stuck wad that did this and that's the reason they won't make this right. I somewhat understand the arguement but to me it happened in their gun and they should do the right thing. I was shooting a mixed bag of last season's shells primiarly Remington's and Federal's. For what it's worth, it was the first time I hunted the gun after cleaning it and putting it in the safe after last season....

What am I missing, I don't see how it's their fault. It seems like if there was an obstruction that far back in the barrel the shot before that would've been anything but normal, it would've sounded like a squib or something.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby everythings ducky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm

tmitchell49 wrote:I consider myself and the folks hunting with me lucky. Browning said they think it was a stuck wad that did this and that's the reason they won't make this right. I somewhat understand the arguement but to me it happened in their gun and they should do the right thing. I was shooting a mixed bag of last season's shells primiarly Remington's and Federal's. For what it's worth, it was the first time I hunted the gun after cleaning it and putting it in the safe after last season....

Make it right? :huh: This is not a manufacters defect and the warranty covers manufacters defects. If companies covered everyone's mistakes, they would go out of business. What happened to personal responsibility. Again check out the thread -extended choke blown barrel. Benelli will do the same and charge you $400 instead of $213. I dought any gun company is going to to cover something like that at no charge. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I was hu nting with a guy this season who took a shot and it sounded like a squib load, and it seemed to me that the shot barely went 10 yards out of the barrel and i could actually see it, as i was looking towards the low goose, the guy was shooting at.

I told him right away..DONT FIRE THAT GUN AGAIN!!!

he removed the barrle and sure enough he couldnt see through it!! the wad was stuck and the burnt or unburnt powder rolled out the back end.

if he has shot it again...who knows what might have happened......but some people might not correlate that sound to a big problem, that is ABOUT to happen on the next pull of the trigger

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Dang, if I had only known. When I rolled my 68 Chevell I just dragged it off to the junk yard and chalked it up to experience.
If I had only known it was up to GM to do the right thing and give me a new car.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Any 10 gauge owners stuck a 12 gauge shell down the barrel just to see how far it goes?
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby chris_k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 pm

It's an ammo issue. But regardless, Browning should have replaced the whole gun (or at least taken the whole gun and test fired it for you with a new barrel to make sure everything operated correctly).

They don't return the barrel to avoid bad publicity.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

you should contact the company that your ammo came from that you were using. might be too late but still. they might foot the bill for the barrel if you can get some paper work from browning too prove what happened. it is the shells fault not the guns
winchester1852
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Glad your ok bro, I'd stick with the benelli anyday anyways. I don't see how a wad could have stopped the next round. Should have blasted right through it and created a crappy shot for you. wowwww. Glad you and the crew are ok though
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 pm

i am going too be checking my barrel a lot more for debris now
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Frylock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Damn! You're one lucky SOB! Glad no one got hurt. Glad you posted this, a lot to be learned from this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Take the new barrel deal and keep shooting it. It is not the gun makers fault that you got a barrel obstruction, then fired another shell.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 am

Ok here is a lesson on guns, Do you see were the barrell started to split? just in front of the gas ports were the wad from the last round stopped. The reason it stopped there is.... it just cleared the gas ports and blead off the little bit of pressure it had through the ports and stopped, however it is enough pressure through the ports to cycle the action. On the next round if you pull the trigger you have a barrel like this one. I have had duds do this in my 3.5" Browning Gold. It is user error and I would jump on that barrel that is a very good price. You learned a very good lesson here, do not use junk ammo Steel shot is very unforgiving, If it was a Beretta or Benelli they would not be so kind with there prices.

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 am

I have your threads on various forums.

From the looks of your dress I want to assume you are educated. If you are, then you should have rationally thought this thru. Hats has explained what happened to you, consider the facts and chalk it up to experience.

As much as I hate Browning, there is no way this is their fault, heck your lucky the gun was as well made as it was, if it had been a chicom turd or a lesser quality gun, you and others in the blind may not have escaped unscathed.

I always take the last few shells I carried in the field and use them shortly after season for pattern testing. I try to never carry old shells to hunt with unless I know they have been kept dry while they were outside.

I also can't believe the number of people who think that a free gun or barrel are in order.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 am

Hat Flats wrote:Ok here is a lesson on guns, Do you see were the barrell started to split? just in front of the gas ports were the wad from the last round stopped. The reason it stopped there is.... it just cleared the gas ports and blead off the little bit of pressure it had through the ports and stopped, however it is enough pressure through the ports to cycle the action. On the next round if you pull the trigger you have a barrel like this one. I have had duds do this in my 3.5" Browning Gold. It is user error and I would jump on that barrel that is a very good price. You learned a very good lesson here, do not use junk ammo Steel shot is very unforgiving, If it was a Beretta or Benelli they would not be so kind with there prices.

Hat

I am not seeing it that way....the BACK of the split is at the gas ports, the FRONT of the split( where the obstruction was) is a foot further down the barrel. the barrel wont burts IN FRONT OF THE OBSTRUCTION, it will burst BEHIND the obstruction....

but i am guessing a wad, and it proabbly went just like you said, once it cleared the gas ports it lost pressure and didnt travel MUCH further, but i say it stopped on the far end of the split.

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 am

tmitchell49 wrote: I somewhat understand the arguement but to me it happened in their gun and they should do the right thing. ....

Browning has no proof that it was the gun's fault and not the ammo/operator's. The damage shown tells me "obstructed barrel", not a defective barrel. Sounds like they ARE doing the right thing by offering you a discounted barrel.

Too many folks these days have the attitude of "if something bad happens to me, then SOMEONE ELSE is going to pay for it".
Put your Big Boy pants on and get on with your life. This may lead you to be a Browning hater, but I see no fault from them at this point.
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum