Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I'd like to know why Benelli's are the supposed benchmark for autos? I just don't see it and I've owned one. :huh:
Let's try to keep this civil and see what everyone has to say. :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Re: Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Postby cootlover » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Because in the early 90' they came out with the best 3 1/2 semi auto on the planet and everybody has tried to make one better with no luck :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:27 pm

cootlover wrote:Because in the early 90' they came out with the best 3 1/2 semi auto on the planet and everybody has tried to make one better with no luck :thumbsup:

I know your biased opinion. :rolleyes: As far as the best semi auto on the planet, I doubt it. Better guns for cheaper or equal value.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby rcase1234 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 pm

I believe there are Autoloaders out there that are cheaper and just as good if not better than a Benelli. It's all personal opinion. Benellis okay but I love my gas operated semis
rcase1234
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 am

I've always thought Beretta was and Benelli just had
a cult following. I've seen Benelli owners swear by them
while they are swearing at them. Changing springs, the
old Benelli "click" just to mention a few. Someone once
told me that Benelli makes the best single shot on the
market.

As far as price goes, autos are engineered and new technology
is being introduced. I'm not saying it's all good, I'm saying I
understand the cost of R&D. The price on O/U is what I have more
of a problem understanding. The technology hasn't changed much
and they are pretty solid state.

Through all the great shotgun debates, the only real thing
that matters is the owner. I really don't care if Benelli boys
bash Beretta or whoever else. Nor do they really care what
I have to say.....they are too busy fixing their guns :biggrin:
TopWop
hunter

Postby jpari » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:44 am

I as well do not get this Benelli thing. I own three auto loaders; a Benelli M2, a Beretta Xtrema2 and now a Beretta A400 Xcel. I bought the M2 first. I shot it for a few years and the thing just kicked like the devil with 3" shells with the ocassional FTC. After I would shoot a round of sporting clays I just wanted to stop after about 75 shells. The thing gave me a headache. So, I bought the Xtrema2 w/kickoff. This gun is 180 degrees from the M2. The recoil is almost non existent w/ 3". After 3 seasons shooting it I can truthfully say I have never had one single FTF or FTC. It made sporting clays truly fun. I enjoyed the Xtrema2 so much at sporting that I decided to buy a dedicated clays gun, the A400 Xcel w/kickoff and the 30" barrel. This gun is just plain great at clays games. I reach for no other gun when going to shoot any clay game whether it be skeet, sporting clays or trap. I now use the Xtrema2 exclusively for waterfowl hunting and have no need for any other waterfowl gun. The Benelli sits in the cabinet and never sees the light of day anymore. In fact, I really do not know why I keep it. Perhaps, I could use it for a loaner.
jpari
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:13 am

I don't think they are or should be. They have some major weaknesses as listed above. I'm a browning platform guy myself. Most of the guys I hunt with shoot benellis and most of them have troubles with them. Minor troubles but troubles none the less. All autos will fail at some point. But I think there are a group of different guns that set the standard for excellence, not just benellis.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby Dbag » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

I think the thing that originally set the Benelli apart was their ability to shoot 3 1/2 shells. As others have developed this capability I believe they have pushed their product forward with some outstanding innovations ,comfortech, the fast bolt system and the ergonomics of the Vinci ( which reminds me of the old A5 ) . But as others have said recoil operated guns will get the best of you in time when shooting magnum duck loads. Simply watch someone get whiplashed who is shooting 3 1/2 magnum loads. By the way shooting 3 1/2 hyper sonics on a regular basis out of a recoil operated gun is probably not in your long term best interest for the health of your cervical spine.
Dbag
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am

You mean, Why aren't they the benchmark ? That's an easy question to answer; The reason my Benelli Super Black Eagle sits in the back of my gun safe is, When you shoot "Heavy Magnum Loads", "all day, day after day", during the peak of the waterfowl migration, is they "sramble your brain"! We have had this topic before about Benelli's. They are o.k. as far as reliability, but they just can't keep up with a nice gas operated autoloader. I do use mine once in a while for pheasants and upland birds, because it is quick on the draw. For my money, I would take a nice "GAS OPERATED AUTOLOADER" every time and run! Not a "wrist and head pounding dinosaur Benelli"! :beer:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 pm

They're not, the Auto-5 is the benchmark, which shotgun is/was always the comparison model for longevity and dependability?

Just like the Beretta 3** series and the Remington 1100 are the benchmark/comparison model for the least amount of recoil.

Funny thing is, you see all these my Benelli won't cycle, FTF, FTE, etc, but when an Auto-5 fails, it is because something actually broke and the second funny thing is, when you tear it down, you always find the offending piece. It never comes down to "the factory said they cleaned this, adjusted this". It works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't, you can figure it out real quick.

I have nothing against Benelli(I have three, M2 20ga, M2 12ga and a SBE II) and I guess I would staunchly defend them if I overpaid for a gun that is "easy to tear down", "easy to clean" because they have so few parts........... :lol3:

I would like for someone to explain in grave detail, the justification for the price on a gun that has so few pieces, the technology hasn't changed, so why do they keep going up?

You boys rip open another big industrial size pack of fruit drank and get to splaining!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby lyrikz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:They're not, the Auto-5 is the benchmark, which shotgun is/was always the comparison model for longevity and dependability?

Just like the Beretta 3** series and the Remington 1100 are the benchmark/comparison model for the least amount of recoil.

Funny thing is, you see all these my Benelli won't cycle, FTF, FTE, etc, but when an Auto-5 fails, it is because something actually broke and the second funny thing is, when you tear it down, you always find the offending piece. It never comes down to "the factory said they cleaned this, adjusted this". It works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't, you can figure it out real quick.

I have nothing against Benelli(I have three, M2 20ga, M2 12ga and a SBE II) and I guess I would staunchly defend them if I overpaid for a gun that is "easy to tear down", "easy to clean" because they have so few parts........... :lol3:

I would like for someone to explain in grave detail, the justification for the price on a gun that has so few pieces, the technology hasn't changed, so why do they keep going up?

You boys rip open another big industrial size pack of fruit drank and get to splaining!

Im in the market for a new shotty and that A5 was the best feeling gun out there. Its just ugly as all get out.
lyrikz
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm

In my experience: they are the easiest to clean, most reliable(my M1 anyway), and are light and well balanced. Plus they have exceptional customer service and warranty.

Honestly, if you dont mind the recoil, they are the best guns made.
The Drake
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm

There are two types of semi-autos. Inertia and gas.

The A5 and Benellis are inertia driven. Not sure about Brownings.

Advantage of an inertia system: Less cleaning and fouling due to powder residue.
Disadvantage: They kick much harder than gas-driven systems

The Beretta AL 390 (mine) 3901 and other models also apply.
Advatage: kicks very little and is super-reliable except for that spring in the stock. Replace it every two seasons or so. That's assuming you shoot two or three cases of ammo a season. Do this and the 390 will never fail unless its frozen into a block of ice.
Disadvantage: It gets DIRTY inside and you have to clean it frequently. (you should and some don't)
IT ONLY SHOOTS 3" shells. SO? Practice shooting and you don't need 3.5" shells PERIOD!

Note: I wanted an A5 BAD until I shot one.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 pm

The Drake wrote:In my experience: they are the easiest to clean, most reliable(my M1 anyway), and are light and well balanced. Plus they have exceptional customer service and warranty.

How are they better than autos from Browning, Beretta, Winchester etc??? Why are they the best?
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby lyrikz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
The Drake wrote:In my experience: they are the easiest to clean, most reliable(my M1 anyway), and are light and well balanced. Plus they have exceptional customer service and warranty.

How are they better than autos from Browning, Beretta, Winchester etc??? Why are they the best?

because he said so silly.
lyrikz
hunter

Postby jpari » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:24 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:

I am not trying to be argumentative but, if they are the best gun made why do you not see Benellis on the sporting clays circuit? I am not talking about a couple of guys shooting a round for fun, I am talking about NSCA registered shoots.
jpari
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 pm

lyrikz wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

because he said so silly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Seriously though, is their materials of a better quality? Or their machining tolerances that much tighter than everyone else's? I really don't see why they are priced so high? The technology in Benelli's is old school and the only thing new they do is make them uglier than the previous model.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby lyrikz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:Seriously though, is their materials of a better quality? Or their machining tolerances that much tighter than everyone else's? I really don't see why they are priced so high? The technology in Benelli's is old school and the only thing new they do is make them uglier than the previous model.

What guns are on the sporting clay circuit mostly?
lyrikz
hunter

Postby jpari » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm

lyrikz wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:Seriously though, is their materials of a better quality? Or their machining tolerances that much tighter than everyone else's? I really don't see why they are priced so high? The technology in Benelli's is old school and the only thing new they do is make them uglier than the previous model.

I can tell you from experiance that the autoloaders used in NSCA registered shoots are 99.9% gas guns with Beretta the dominant force.
jpari
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:50 pm

lyrikz wrote:

Gas operated Beretta 391's, and a few long barrelled over and unders. (Some guys like the fast second shot, and it's a status thing with the over and unders.) Most prefer the softer shooting of the gas operation, especially when you are shooting thousands of rounds. As far as "materials of better quality" I would be willing to bet this weeks paycheck that Beretta is the leader in this category, however everybody has a favorite. :smile:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Benelli's have a bench mark , for being on the gun-smiths bench to often . Is that what you want to hear ?

Some will go Boom Boom ...........Klick

and others will go ..................Klick

Now , try another B gun ........... BOOM Boom Boom with less recoil

and , they are prettier
3200 man
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Only the Benelli owners will tell you that.............. Those who know better, well they just buy something else. :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Maybe I'm lucky. My SBE has been a flawless duck/goose gun for many years. I have yet to clean it since I bought it. It has never "klicked", but I have never shot anything shorter than 3.5" thru it. Lucky me :)
Jake88
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 pm

lyrikz wrote:

I think you want to ask someone else that question, I dont shoot enough sporting clays to know. I can say when I have shot sporting clays for fun there are very few out there and those are guys coming in from hunting.
duckslayer74
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum