Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm

3200 man wrote:Benelli's have a bench mark , for being on the gun-smiths bench to often . Is that what you want to hear ?

Some will go Boom Boom ...........Klick

and others will go ..................Klick

Now , try another B gun ........... BOOM Boom Boom with less recoil

and , they are prettier

If that's what I wanted to hear I'd asked why they were a P.O.S. I just want to see why people think they're the best auto out there. I personally don't think they have any better quality or reliability than the other big name manufacturers, in my experience Benelli's reliability was poor at best.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:37 pm

duckslayer74 wrote: If that's what I wanted to hear I'd asked why they were a P.O.S. I just want to see why people think they're the best auto out there. I personally don't think they have any better quality or reliability than the other big name manufacturers, in my experience Benelli's reliability was poor at best.

You're kidding yourself if you think a Benelli owner will give a straight honest answer, they just spew the same old rhetoric.

I am talking the ones who bought the gun simply because it is a Benelli or because Phil and the gang shoot one, etc. Those that researched them and bought the gun that best fits their needs, will never get involved in a thread like this, they know their gun and it's capabilities and could care less what a bunch of self proclaimed interweb pro's care or say.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:55 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote: If that's what I wanted to hear I'd asked why they were a P.O.S. I just want to see why people think they're the best auto out there. I personally don't think they have any better quality or reliability than the other big name manufacturers, in my experience Benelli's reliability was poor at best.

You're kidding yourself if you think a Benelli owner will give a straight honest answer, they just spew the same old rhetoric.

I am talking the ones who bought the gun simply because it is a Benelli or because Phil and the gang shoot one, etc. Those that researched them and bought the gun that best fits their needs, will never get involved in a thread like this, they know their gun and it's capabilities and could care less what a bunch of self proclaimed interweb pro's care or say.

I'm realizing that now. :oops:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Ohhh. It just dawned on me. The answer to his question...

Why is Benelli the benchmark? Tom Knapp is why. That world-record he set. He used a Benelli.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 pm

aunt betty wrote:Ohhh. It just dawned on me. The answer to his question...

Why is Benelli the benchmark? Tom Knapp is why. That world-record he set. He used a Benelli.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

Patrick Flannigan beat Knapp with a Winchester.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm

because Phil and the gang shoot one,

I can't convince Benelli guys I know that the reason they shoot these guns are because they are PAID to.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

I missed that. Got rid of the sports channel a long time ago or I would have known. Either way I'm pretty sure Tom Knapp is why everyone started buying Benellis in the 90's.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
because Phil and the gang shoot one,

I can't convince Benelli guys I know that the reason they shoot these guns are because they are PAID to.

I shot Tim Bradley's shotgun and I could NOT miss with it. The guy throwing targets tried hard to make me miss.
Sasquatch was his name. Shot his Benelli gun too and couldn't miss with it as well.
They are very good shotguns. I just like the Beretta more.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:

I am glad someone finally said this. I bought the Nova 5 years ago because it was what I could afford and I wanted a reliable pump gun, that gun has shot every time I have pulled the trigger. I decided this Year I want to upgrade so i bought the SBE 2. I didn't buy it because the Commander has it or because I drink the kool aid. I bought it because I have seen what they can be put through and still fire. I read a lot of things where guys say they get the "click". This is cause by sliding the bolt shut by hand instead of hitting the button and letting the spring do its job. The fail to feed or ejects is because they are shooting lighter loads than is recommended in the gun. It says in the manual that you shout shoot no less than 1 1/4 oz shot out of the gun or you may have cycle issues. I think most of the problems are from guys not reading the manual and doing stupid crap. I held the browning maxus, remington versamax, the beretta xtrema and all the other guns. I bought the benelli because it felt good in my hands and up to my shoulder. Is it the best? I hope so for the money I paid, LOL would I gaurantee it? Nope, but I woulnd't do that to any gun because it will inevitably fail when you do that.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm

aunt betty wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

I missed that. Got rid of the sports channel a long time ago or I would have known. Either way I'm pretty sure Tom Knapp is why everyone started buying Benellis in the 90's.

Tom Knapp doesn't even shoot for Benelli anymore he is with CZ just FYI.
And why do I shoot benelli over anything else on the market. Because for me they are the best pointing and shooting shotgun that I have shouldered. They fit me and they have worked and they are reliable. I own a Super Vinci and I absolutely love it and will shoot it at everything from clays, ducks, and geese all day long. It shoots where I point and is a work horse. I enjoy the simplicity that comes with cleaning the Super Vinci because as my hunting partners are still cleaning their gas pistons, I wipe down the bolt and the inertia spring put it back together and good to go. Not paid to say this I use what works for me and will continue to do so even if it wasn't a Benelli. Won't bash another guy for using what works for them if it fits you and you can shoot the hell out of it who gives two sheets to the wind what brand it is. :hammer:
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm

In defense for Benelli owners, they are no different than most guys on this forum. I swear you can say someones wife is fat, ugly and stupid and not get near the reaction if you told someone that their __(insert gun brand here)__ gun is a P.O.S.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

That's why the SX3 gets so much more attention than the Browning Silver. Same exact bolt and gas system parts but for some reason the SX3 is "the fastest autoloading shotgun on the planet". :huh:

I'm new to Benellis. Been a Browning guy for a while and decided to try something different so I bought an SBE2. So far the things that I like about the Benelli are....

1. I like how there is no bare carbon steel anywhere on the gun (that I have found). The entire bore is chrome plated. The choke tubes and bolt head appear to be. The inside of the receiver upper half appears to be painted or powder coated. The plunger in the stock is stainless and everything else appears to be aluminum or synthetic. Other than the springs, I just don't see any parts that could rust.
2. I like not having to use a screwdriver to take the recoil pad off for a tear down.
3. Doesn't chuck empties 15 feet way. The bolt doesn't seem to pound the receiver hardly at all.
4. 10 year warranty

Things I don't like

1. The long, creepy trigger pull sucks. I guess its fine for wingshooting but I'd never bother fitting it with a slug barrel.
2. The mag spring is stiff as hell. It takes some serious pushin' to get a second 3.5 shell in there.
3. The camo dip job is not done as well as my Browning was. Lots of small missed spots, little bits of crude under the camo, and it gets real shiney. Not just the normal gripping spots but damn near wherever it gets handled on a semi regular basis.
4. The slow "cur-chunk" sound of the action when I'm shooting is going to take some getting used to.

Those are my pros and cons. It may be a bit easier to clean, and may require less cleaning, but my brownings are easier to take apart and reassemble so that's a wash in my book.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 pm

asmythe32 wrote:
orphanedcowboy wrote:

I am glad someone finally said this. I bought the Nova 5 years ago because it was what I could afford and I wanted a reliable pump gun, that gun has shot every time I have pulled the trigger. I decided this Year I want to upgrade so i bought the SBE 2. I didn't buy it because the Commander has it or because I drink the kool aid. I bought it because I have seen what they can be put through and still fire. I read a lot of things where guys say they get the "click". This is cause by sliding the bolt shut by hand instead of hitting the button and letting the spring do its job. The fail to feed or ejects is because they are shooting lighter loads than is recommended in the gun. It says in the manual that you shout shoot no less than 1 1/4 oz shot out of the gun or you may have cycle issues. I think most of the problems are from guys not reading the manual and doing stupid crap. I held the browning maxus, remington versamax, the beretta xtrema and all the other guns. I bought the benelli because it felt good in my hands and up to my shoulder. Is it the best? I hope so for the money I paid, LOL would I gaurantee it? Nope, but I woulnd't do that to any gun because it will inevitably fail when you do that.

i agree with the part i highlighted
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:23 am

clampdaddy wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

That's why the SX3 gets so much more attention than the Browning Silver. Same exact bolt and gas system parts but for some reason the SX3 is "the fastest autoloading shotgun on the planet". :huh:

I'm new to Benellis. Been a Browning guy for a while and decided to try something different so I bought an SBE2. So far the things that I like about the Benelli are....

1. I like how there is no bare carbon steel anywhere on the gun (that I have found). The entire bore is chrome plated. The choke tubes and bolt head appear to be. The inside of the receiver upper half appears to be painted or powder coated. The plunger in the stock is stainless and everything else appears to be aluminum or synthetic. Other than the springs, I just don't see any parts that could rust.
2. I like not having to use a screwdriver to take the recoil pad off for a tear down.
3. Doesn't chuck empties 15 feet way. The bolt doesn't seem to pound the receiver hardly at all.
4. 10 year warranty

Things I don't like

1. The long, creepy trigger pull sucks. I guess its fine for wingshooting but I'd never bother fitting it with a slug barrel.
2. The mag spring is stiff as hell. It takes some serious pushin' to get a second 3.5 shell in there.
3. The camo dip job is not done as well as my Browning was. Lots of small missed spots, little bits of crude under the camo, and it gets real shiney. Not just the normal gripping spots but damn near wherever it gets handled on a semi regular basis.
4. The slow "cur-chunk" sound of the action when I'm shooting is going to take some getting used to.

Those are my pros and cons. It may be a bit easier to clean, and may require less cleaning, but my brownings are easier to take apart and reassemble so that's a wash in my book.

Nice post. :thumbsup:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 am

I was just kidding about the Benelli's or any shotgun ,if you know your gun and can hit what you're shooting at , it's the best !
A lot of hype comes along with marketing these guns , some are better than others ( by looks only ) and if you get a lemon , it
can be a pain the a-- . With new loads on the shelves each year , if you don't reload , you better find out what your gun likes
with patterning it or , you could be condemning it as junk for no reason ! If it fits you , you can shoot it ! Some do kick harder
than others , tho !
3200 man
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:51 am

What really matters the most is the man who is pulling the trigger. How well he's trained himself in operating and maintaining his weapon.
The guys who have troubles are most likely the cause of their problems and can't possibly admit it so they rag on the company.
Every time I have had shotgun issues, I was the problem.
I messed up my first Remington because I didn't know how to re-assemble it and forced something.
Blew up a barrel because it had snow in it.

Point is that there is a learning curve on a new shotgun. Some steeper than others.
It took me a year to figure out why the used Beretta I bought had troubles. I cleaned it, cleaned it, oiled it, cleaned it and finally took a look at the spring in the stock. OMG it was packed full of powder residue and the spring had gotten almost 2 inches shorter than a new one. Replaced that spring and now the gun operates flawlessly. I had troubles until then. The spring was weak.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:11 am

aunt betty wrote:What really matters the most is the man who is pulling the trigger. How well he's trained himself in operating and maintaining his weapon.
The guys who have troubles are most likely the cause of their problems and can't possibly admit it so they rag on the company.
Every time I have had shotgun issues, I was the problem.

Agreed. I've not had any problems with my Winchesters but I also clean them after every hunt and do a complete teardown once a month during the waterfowl season. I cleaned my Benelli the same but it just was not reliable, it just wouldn't feed shells no matter what kind I shot. I will say I bought my M2 20ga because my bro-in-law cootlover's M2 20ga impressed me, both guns were the early M2 20's with the M1 barrel. Those 2 guns ran night and day different, truth be told if there had been more selections of a quality synthetic 20ga gun at the time I'd probably ended up buying something different. I looked for a Beretta back then but they were almost impossible to find and the 20ga X3 wasn't out with synthetic stocks yet.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby coruptone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

what about the original record holder Herb Parson. He used a Winchester pump!!! :umm:
coruptone
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm

coruptone wrote:

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

what about the original record holder Herb Parson. He used a Winchester pump!!! :umm:

:eek: a pump! :eek: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Forgot all about Herb Good job! :thumbsup:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Benchmark? I'd say no and agree with somebody above that the Auto 5 is probably the benchmark by which all other semi auto shotguns are measured.

Durable and reliable? I'd say definitely yes. I bougnt an H&K M1 the first or second year they started appearing stateside as it was, at the time, probably the most technologically advanced and simple shotgun available. That M1 serviced me very well for 20+/- years and the only hiccup was several years ago when I let the recoil assembly get gummed up (totally my issue and nothing to do with the design and reliability of the gun itself). The only reason I no longer own it is because I was looking for something "new" or "different" for a duck gun and found a guy that wanted the M1 more than I did. On that topic- I bought a new A5 and have never looked back.

Sure there are naysayers to any make or model shotgun (or any mechanical thing like a car, truck, mower, etc) for that matter but the simple facts are that any quality firearm if properly maintained will provide many years of reliable service. Do they recoil a bit more than a Beretta? Yes- but many people that bitch and moan about recoil with a Benelli will say their old 870 will out shoot one and they aren't soft shooting either. And an inertia or recoil gun will prove to be less tempermental and easier to maintain over many years of use in varying climates and weather conditions.

People bitch about the "benelli click" and 95% or more of these can be atributed to the shooter easing the bolt into battery or fidgeting with the bolt handle making the gun go out of battery...I've seen this happen to people more times than I care to count. That said I would not call the Benelli a benchmark but would classify it as a damn good shotgun that helped to advance technology for many modern day inertia operated semi autos.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I'll bite . . . I'm a Benelli owner. I would say that Benelli might be considered the benchmark for MODERN production 3.5" auto's, and wether you like them or don't, they're certainly an iconic waterfowling piece for anyone who hunted through the '90's. As a matter of fact, that is the very reason that I bought the first of the ones I own. I have absoultely no interest in swinging that jackhammer, but I hunted enough through the 90's to know that they were generally accepted as the cadalliac of duck guns at the time. Of course, at that time, given the piss-poor condition of the ammo manufacturing process, folks hunting ducks needed all the help they could get. Benelli brought that to them in a semi-auto configuration. Someone above somewhat hit the nail on the head: Benelli was the first manufacturer to develope an auto-loading 3.5" gun, and as far as proto-type shotguns go, it handled the job exceptionally well. I'm not sure that a 3.5" gun exists that will handle the beating that those early-production SBE's would take. That doesn't mean that they were pleasant to shoot, or that they patterned well, or that they worth the $800 that was demanded for 'em in 1993. It's just to say that they were tough as tanks.

Ironically, I bought that H&K imported SBE for the exact same reason I bought my A-5's, and my most recent Wingmaster. I have no interest in carrying any of the above on a regular basis, but whether you like them or don't they're still pieces of waterfowling history. I sleep a little better at night knowing that they're hanging on my wall, reminding me of my glory days.

Benelli manufacturers fine guns. As for "benchmark" status, I dunno, but there's nothing wrong with them if they meet your criteria for a good scattergun. Unfortunately, if you expect that ownership of one will enable you to walk on water, you're in for certain disappointment.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby 3200 man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm

As you can read , there are fellas on this forum that have been greatly affected by owning Benelli's in the past .

>+*&^%%% I for one , can say they kick !and that damn extractor along with the klick , has altered my thinking !
3200 man
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:32 pm

cannon wrote:I'll bite . . . I'm a Benelli owner. I would say that Benelli might be considered the benchmark for MODERN production [b]3.5" auto's,[/b] and wether you like them or don't, they're certainly an iconic waterfowling piece for anyone who hunted through the '90's. As a matter of fact, that is the very reason that I bought the first of the ones I own. I have absoultely no interest in swinging that jackhammer, but I hunted enough through the 90's to know that they were generally accepted as the cadalliac of duck guns at the time. Of course, at that time, given the piss-poor condition of the ammo manufacturing process, folks hunting ducks needed all the help they could get. Benelli brought that to them in a semi-auto configuration. Someone above somewhat hit the nail on the head: Benelli was the first manufacturer to develope an auto-loading 3.5" gun, and as far as proto-type shotguns go, it handled the job exceptionally well. I'm not sure that a 3.5" gun exists that will handle the beating that those early-production SBE's would take. That doesn't mean that they were pleasant to shoot, or that they patterned well, or that they worth the $800 that was demanded for 'em in 1993. It's just to say that they were tough as tanks.

Ironically, I bought that H&K imported SBE for the exact same reason I bought my A-5's, and my most recent Wingmaster. I have no interest in carrying any of the above on a regular basis, but whether you like them or don't they're still pieces of waterfowling history. I sleep a little better at night knowing that they're hanging on my wall, reminding me of my glory days.

Benelli manufacturers fine guns. As for "benchmark" status, I dunno, but there's nothing wrong with them if they meet your criteria for a good scattergun. Unfortunately, if you expect that ownership of one will enable you to walk on water, you're in for certain disappointment.

That's how I should've wrote the topic. "Benchmark for modern 3.5" autoloaders". Thanks for the input Cannon.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:42 pm

I got my first benelli in 1995 I have had less than 5 clicks the first one happened in 2001 so when people whine about the click I have to laugh if your doing all the time you shouldn't be messing around with a loaded gun.
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:42 pm

apexhunter wrote:Benchmark? I'd say no and agree with somebody above that the Auto 5 is probably the benchmark by which all other semi auto shotguns are measured.

Durable and reliable? I'd say definitely yes. I bougnt an H&K M1 the first or second year they started appearing stateside as it was, at the time, probably the most technologically advanced and simple shotgun available. That M1 serviced me very well for 20+/- years and the only hiccup was several years ago when I let the recoil assembly get gummed up (totally my issue and nothing to do with the design and reliability of the gun itself). The only reason I no longer own it is because I was looking for something "new" or "different" for a duck gun and found a guy that wanted the M1 more than I did. On that topic- I bought a new A5 and have never looked back.

Sure there are naysayers to any make or model shotgun (or any mechanical thing like a car, truck, mower, etc) for that matter but the simple facts are that any quality firearm if properly maintained will provide many years of reliable service. Do they recoil a bit more than a Beretta? Yes- but many people that bitch and moan about recoil with a Benelli will say their old 870 will out shoot one and they aren't soft shooting either. And an inertia or recoil gun will prove to be less tempermental and easier to maintain over many years of use in varying climates and weather conditions.

People bitch about the "benelli click" and 95% or more of these can be atributed to the shooter easing the bolt into battery or fidgeting with the bolt handle or setting the gun on the butt stock in the bottom of the boat making the gun go out of battery...I've seen this happen to people more times than I care to count. That said I would not call the Benelli a benchmark but would classify it as a damn good shotgun that helped to advance technology for many modern day inertia operated semi autos.

FIFY
duckslayer74
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum