Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:49 pm

cootlover wrote:I got my first benelli in 1995 I have had less than 5 clicks the first one happened in 2001 so when people whine about the click I have to laugh if your doing all the time you shouldn't be messing around with a loaded gun.

You saw my "clicks" first hand and you know I wasn't playing with the gun. Not only that, but you have seen that gun on 90% of the malfunctions it had while I owned it. You may have had only 5 "clicks" in 17 years but you had that many stovepipes in one day last season.
Last edited by duckslayer74 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby 541-feet-down » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 pm

I own a SBEII a sx3 and a browning gold fusion. I've dropped my benelli in mud crawled through shallow water with it and fell completely into a pond with it this year an the onlytime it didn't fire is when It was covered in ice had to melt it with a lighter. love this gun it kicks the hardest of the 3 I think but who really cares its gonna go boom with a pattern master it's the definition of makin it rain boys.
sx3 solid gun can't hit the broadside of a barn with it. none of them fit me at all. gave it to my dad and he loves it and ill guarantee he burn through 3 quicker than anyone that thing spits empties into the landing hole
Browning is an all around nice gun. it's similar to the sx3 but more comfortable to me is all
IMO I'd buy a 1. SBE 2. browning 3. sx3
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

541-feet-down wrote:I own a SBEII a sx3 and a browning gold fusion. I've dropped my benelli in mud crawled through shallow water with it and fell completely into a pond with it this year an the onlytime it didn't fire is when It was covered in ice had to melt it with a lighter. love this gun it kicks the hardest of the 3 I think but who really cares its gonna go boom with a pattern master it's the definition of makin it rain boys.

I've had some that functioned well and others that didn't. For 3.5", they may be the ticket. I Haven't fired a 3.5" shell in over a decade, so that doesn't factor into what I prefer to shoot. I'll say that I absolutely have NOT found them to be more reliable, under any conditions, than the other "B" guns I own.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby 541-feet-down » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I will probably never own a gun that's 3.5" I shoot all 3" picture that head as a clay and squeeze it off if you shoot behind still a dead bird. it's modern day everyone will argue over everything because simply almost everything works. except a mossberg haha :biggrin:
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Your right I did have a load of stove pipes. I did a lot of reading about it people said the spring in the stock sat to long 6-7 years an it gummed up o well at the end of the day you no 98% of the time ill kick your azz shooting a 20 ga m2 over your 12 ga x2 are your x3 20 ga . I no last year I wasn't on all the time nobody perfect :yes:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

cootlover wrote:Your right I did have a load of stove pipes. I did a lot of reading about it people said the spring in the stock sat to long 6-7 years an it gummed up o well at the end of the day you no 98% of the time ill kick your azz shooting a 20 ga m2 over your 12 ga x2 are your x3 20 ga . I no last year I wasn't on all the time nobody perfect :yes:

:rolleyes: :lol3:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 am

It seems you're asking a question when you don't really want to hear the answer?

For me and many, many others this is a workhorse of a shotgun. I'm not a fan boy and could care less who holds what record and what they crap to attain it. It's all meaningless I shoot ducks and geese and my SBE2 simply shoots whenever I pull the trigger.

I had no idea what gun I was buying years ago when I bought my SBE2. It was my first waterfowl shotgun purchase, for me it fit the best and swung fast and pointed well so I bought it. There was no bias because of anyone else who owned one etc. I had no idea who Benelli, Beretta or anyone else was for that matter. I've shot thousands of rounds through it since. Here's what my experience has been:

Changed the recoil pad to a LimbSaver after a year because I thought what they had on it was a joke. Huge improvement, rarely even notice recoil when hunting with 3" Kent FastSteel. 3-1/2" is pretty much the same. Should they put this sort of pad on it from the factory IMO YES they should it is a vast improvement. Because they don't should you not buy one? Absolutely not.

After two seasons I had a recommendation to change the recoil and magazine springs to Wolff Springs because they would perform better: firmer faster bolt closure and better feed from the mag. Thanks to over lubrication I had gummed up the factory ones. These made a huge difference and I'd strongly recommend them to anyone who owns a SBE2.

I had a Benelli click twice: one time because there was a piece of straw stuck in the action and the other was because I had inadvertently pulled the bolt back when it rubbed against something in a layout blind causing it not to be shut completely. Other than these two completely blameless malfunctions it has never suffered from the infamously reported "click".

From inexperience I over oiled it for part of the first season (oiled like a rifle or gas powered shotgun) and one very cold damp foggy day it failed to cycle twice. Since that learning experience it has never failed to cycle. These guns take very little lube to run flawlessly. One little drop on the underside of the bolt slides is all I ever apply. Super fast and easy to clean: bore snake and blow out any water in the action takes about 3 minutes if that.

For me this has been a flawlessly operating weapon. After I learned how to properly adjust cast and drop it's a dead eye. If you know what you're doing with a Benelli SBE2 in my experience it will perform flawlessly. I did replace the gimmicky Comfortech stock (no charge through Benelli's excellent customer service) and found the recoil to be even less and the weight distribution to be better for me too. This is purely a marketing gimmick and I personally feel it actually increases recoil.

For what it's worth, SBE2 is a great gun for me. But as you have read I learned proper maintenance and customized it slightly based on what I wanted and also simply let the bolt slam shut. Since that purchase 10 years ago I have read all about the "horrible" experiences others have reported with their SBE2s. Many can be attributed to improper lubrication, not closing the bolt properly (just let it slam shut so it rotates and locks you won't ever have a click) and old worn, rusted springs (a simple and inexpensive Wolff Spring will forever solve that issue) or rusted magazine tubes. I've held all the newest shotguns and for me nothing they offer has made me want to buy one. If I was to ever buy a new shotgun it would have to be because I had lost mine. This one just performs too well to need anything else. One man's educated opinion and experience. No fan boy just a happy customer who didn't mind a little fine tuning to arrive at where I ended up.
duaney2
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 am

duckslayer74 wrote:
cootlover wrote:Because in the early 90' they came out with the best 3 1/2 semi auto on the planet and everybody has tried to make one better with no luck :thumbsup:

I know your biased opinion. :rolleyes: As far as the best semi auto on the planet, I doubt it. Better guns for cheaper or equal value.

Better in your opinion doesn't make it so. :huh:

Why does it have to be the best on the planet? Light and a tireless flawless workhorse it what I have found. For me there is no reason to look anywhere else. Do I think it is the best on the planet...I don't care because it's performed the best for me and that's all that matters. UI can't speak to other gas guns because I have only bought one shotgun. I don't need another one. If I shot sporting clays I would buy a sporting clays gun. I hunt ducks and geese with mine and it does the job without any issues whatsoever. Best on the planet? Don't care about that and don't know why it really matters to anyone anyway. Don't like all the negative comments about a terrific firearm.
duaney2
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 am

duaney2 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
cootlover wrote:Because in the early 90' they came out with the best 3 1/2 semi auto on the planet and everybody has tried to make one better with no luck :thumbsup:

I know your biased opinion. :rolleyes: As far as the best semi auto on the planet, I doubt it. Better guns for cheaper or equal value.

Why does it have to be the best on the planet? Light and a tireless flawless workhorse it what I have found. For me there is no reason to look anywhere else. Do I think it is the best on the planet...I don't care because it's performed the best for me and that's all that matters. UI can't speak to other gas guns because I have only bought one shotgun. I don't need another one. If I shot sporting clays I would buy a sporting clays gun. I hunt ducks and geese with mine and it does the job without any issues whatsoever. Best on the planet? Don't care about that and don't know why it really matters to anyone anyway. Don't like all the negative comments about a terrific firearm.

Obviously you don't have much experience with shotguns if you've only bought one. I'm glad your Benelli runs good for you but your lack of experience in this subject ads nothing other than another biased opinion. Get out and try other autos in the field. It also looks like you've added aftermarket parts to make your gun run the way it should from the factory, Wolff springs and better recoil pad. It's a shame to spend that much on a gun only to turn around and put better parts in it to make it run the way it should from the factory. :lol3: There is nothing worse than having to put aftermarket parts in your gun to make it run right, that goes for any brand of gun.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 am

SBEII is among the best. Super Vinci..... not so much in my opinion.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:06 am

I guess you could say I've drunk the cool aid. I bought my first, a nova, close to 20 years ago. Shot that gun for a couple years, then found a used h&k sbe. I've shot that gun a lot over the years. By no means has it been flawless. In fact it has been in to the smiths several times.

Its not Hard for me to say, that it is all the gun's fault. I abuse that gun. I treat it worse than a rented mule. Twice I put the gun in a case soaking wet and full of mud. Then forget about it until the next hunt. By then it was too late. Frozen rusty mess.

Thats where a lot of the problems have come from. The recoil spring had to be replaced. Like most, I went with the wolf spring. Seems to be ok now.

I do get the occasional hang up with target loads. I think a combination of the gun and the shell. Whenever a shell has a long roll it gets snagged on the breach. I also had the sharp edge of the breach rounded. It has helped. I couldn't say if its fixed. I finally did this at the end of last summer.

I did have to replace the extractor after ten years of shooting. Another trip into the smith. I'm sure there will be more. I plan on shooting the gun for the rest of my life. Well, unless benelli comes out with something better...
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 am

Good post sweet, my bro-in-law just replaced the extractor on his H&K SBE. Well this thread has turned out better than expected, so far everyone seems to be giving honest opinions and it also seems that Benelli is no better than any other auto.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 am

THE THING I like about hunting with someone carrying a Benelli is , I get to shoot more . Here it comes ,klick......boom . LOL

I wish more guys had'em ,I like shooting first .
3200 man
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 am

Slayer your talking about nothing worst than after market parts on a new gun then you put then kick's and terror chokes on the bottom of your page. :fingerpt: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
cootlover
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 am

cootlover wrote:Slayer your talking about nothing worst than after market parts on a new gun then you put then kick's and terror chokes on the bottom of your page. :fingerpt: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:

They have nothing to to with the way the gun operates. :rolleyes: :lol3: :lol3:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:56 pm

The big reason is ADVERTISING! if you tell people your the best and charge the most, the uneducated masses will believe it.

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby bigmel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

asmythe32 wrote:
orphanedcowboy wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote: If that's what I wanted to hear I'd asked why they were a P.O.S. I just want to see why people think they're the best auto out there. I personally don't think they have any better quality or reliability than the other big name manufacturers, in my experience Benelli's reliability was poor at best.

You're kidding yourself if you think a Benelli owner will give a straight honest answer, they just spew the same old rhetoric.

I am talking the ones who bought the gun simply because it is a Benelli or because Phil and the gang shoot one, etc. Those that researched them and bought the gun that best fits their needs, will never get involved in a thread like this, they know their gun and it's capabilities and could care less what a bunch of self proclaimed interweb pro's care or say.

I am glad someone finally said this. I bought the Nova 5 years ago because it was what I could afford and I wanted a reliable pump gun, that gun has shot every time I have pulled the trigger. I decided this Year I want to upgrade so i bought the SBE 2. I didn't buy it because the Commander has it or because I drink the kool aid. I bought it because I have seen what they can be put through and still fire. I read a lot of things where guys say they get the "click". This is cause by sliding the bolt shut by hand instead of hitting the button and letting the spring do its job. The fail to feed or ejects is because they are shooting lighter loads than is recommended in the gun. It says in the manual that you shout shoot no less than 1 1/4 oz shot out of the gun or you may have cycle issues. I think most of the problems are from guys not reading the manual and doing stupid crap. I held the browning maxus, remington versamax, the beretta xtrema and all the other guns. I bought the benelli because it felt good in my hands and up to my shoulder. Is it the best? I hope so for the money I paid, LOL would I gaurantee it? Nope, but I woulnd't do that to any gun because it will inevitably fail when you do that.

I bought one to because of two things one how well my nova preformed and the recommend of a friend.My buddy has a SBE1 and he said,"hey when we go hunting do you ever see me messing with my gun."enough said for me
bigmel
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Hat Flats wrote:The big reason is ADVERTISING! if you tell people your the best and charge the most, the uneducated masses will believe it.

Hat

Alot of truth there Hat. :thumbsup:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:00 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
duaney2 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Obviously you don't have much experience with shotguns if you've only bought one. I'm glad your Benelli runs good for you but your lack of experience in this subject ads nothing other than another biased opinion. Get out and try other autos in the field. It also looks like you've added aftermarket parts to make your gun run the way it should from the factory, Wolff springs and better recoil pad. It's a shame to spend that much on a gun only to turn around and put better parts in it to make it run the way it should from the factory. :lol3: There is nothing worse than having to put aftermarket parts in your gun to make it run right, that goes for any brand of gun.

Didn't say I had any issues with it, it ran just fine from the factory, I added them just because I wanted to and found that the bolt slammed shut with more authority and shells fired out of the magazine with more authority. Was that necessary? No. did I like the result? Yes. :smile:

I have also shot and held many other shotguns, just never had the need to buy. Whenever a new model comes out and I'm near a shop, I'll pick it up and check it out. Mentally picking it apart as to what I do and don't like about it. My father in law has a bunch of shotguns I can and have tried out as do friends. Why would I have to have bought a large number of brands of shotguns to provide an opinion on mine? Mine has performed flawlessly and does everything I need it to so why would I buy a new one? Strange logic indeed and you also assumed I have not shot others which truly made an ass out of you as the saying goes.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your Benelli, I'm totally happy with mine as are tens of thousands of others. I couldn't care less what you prefer but it seems pretty clear that you really care what others prefer which is just sad for you. It's my opinion and to me that's what matters. I'm not saying anything about your choice of shotgun but you find the need to denigrate Benelli? Ask yourself why....? :sad:
duaney2
hunter

Postby Bakercountyboy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Well i wake up in the morning an piss excellence :yes: so there for i bought a vinci :grooving:

In all reality i bought the vinci because it fit me better then all the others.
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Postby jrinny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Some of the guys I hunt with have M2's and SBE2's. My veiw is that one of the guys had a SBE2 that was nothing but trouble from when he got it. The others shot it and cleaned it and nothing changed. A year of monkeying-around and he traded it off on the same gun but in camo and has great luck with the new one. The others have had good luck with theirs but have an occasional hiccup with a click or something every once in awhile. This is about the same rate as some of other manufacturers have with their guns. Each gun is individual and I have seen a bad benelli and also a group of good ones...the same as I have seen with other brands. ADVERTISING...Matthews, Thompson Center, Benelli, and a few others outspend others by a wide margin in promoting their products. Alot of knowledgable people buy the products based on real world experience...the marketing grabs the remaining people who got to have what everyone else appeaers to using
jrinny
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 pm

duaney2 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
duaney2 wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:

Didn't say I had any issues with it, it ran just fine from the factory, I added them just because I wanted to and found that the bolt slammed shut with more authority and shells fired out of the magazine with more authority. Was that necessary? No. did I like the result? Yes. :smile:

You were just fixing the "click" problem. :no: I didn't know shells fired out of the magazine? :huh:

I have also shot and held many other shotguns, just never had the need to buy. Whenever a new model comes out and I'm near a shop, I'll pick it up and check it out. Mentally picking it apart as to what I do and don't like about it. My father in law has a bunch of shotguns I can and have tried out as do friends. Why would I have to have bought a large number of brands of shotguns to provide an opinion on mine? Mine has performed flawlessly and does everything I need it to so why would I buy a new one? Strange logic indeed and you also assumed I have not shot others which truly made an ass out of you as the saying goes.

Holding shotguns is different than hunting them. Did I ever doubt your gun has performed flawlessly? No!!! And I never said anything about you buying a new gun either.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your Benelli, I'm totally happy with mine as are tens of thousands of others. I couldn't care less what you prefer but it seems pretty clear that you really care what others prefer which is just sad for you. It's my opinion and to me that's what matters. I'm not saying anything about your choice of shotgun but you find the need to denigrate Benelli? Ask yourself why....? :sad:

I could care less what others prefer, now there you go ASSuming. If you could comprehend the question you would see that. I was asking why people think that they are the best. Is that easy enough for you to understand now? Now move along and drink your kool-aid somewhere else. If you want to get personal you can always PM somebody that cares what you have to say because I don't.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby lou_01 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:42 pm

I dont own a benelli but i have shouldered a few and they do feel great, but being a gas fan (beretta) dont think i would ever purchase one but thousands of others swear by theirs so to each is own. I just cant fathom the fact that you spend upwards of 2k and then have to turn around and spend more to put new springs in it? Thats like spending 40k on a new truck and on the way home have to stop at the repair shop and have it tuned up. My opinion is all 3.5 guns are overrated and overpriced. Just my 2 cents
lou_01
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 am

I want to address the original thread- My opinion is that they were about the first semi auto that could be shot for extended periods without the cleaning that the then current gas guns, or the A5, needed to ensure field operability. This would have been appealing to many hunters. And, they sold the easy breakdown procedure. This is something that most all of the other manufacturers did not do well. We all know that powders, and guns, have made advancements in recent history that make them either shoot cleaner or simply function with a greater degree of reliability. As for the 3-1/2" chambering, I have never understood just as to why people buy these guns. There are hunters having issues with these guns and I can understand why. Just my 02.
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 am

Slayer your like talking to a third grader. I said on the first post they came out with the most simplest design "KISS" Keep,It,Simple stupid :nana: and it works. Even the head guy at browning said he waited for the patent to run out to copy Benelli's design for the new A-5 that say's a lot right there. The best part about Benelli's are it get's under your skin that some people think there the best and you don't like them. love coot
cootlover
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum