Cleaning a Benelli

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Cleaning a Benelli

Postby Dr^ke » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Just got a new Super Vinci and was just curious what you use to clean the barrel, inside guts, outside finish, and what lube do you use? I read in the manual to use benelli products but was just curious what other people use. Thanks
Dr^ke
hunter

Re: Cleaning a Benelli

Postby rcase1234 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

What finish do you have? Just about all finishes you should add a light film of oil to prevent rusting with something like Rem Oil. To clean a barrel (I don't own a Benelli but I use this for all barrels) just use some Hoppes 9 with a bore brush (run bore brus back and forth through the whol length of the barrel about 15-20 times) and then patches soaked in Hoppes 9 will you get a clean on. After, run dry patches through till they are almost completely dry. Then I use a patch, bore snake, etc. to add a light coat of rust preventive oil (again, I use Rem Oil) to the inside of the barrel. I only run the mop in and then pull it out once.
rcase1234
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Rem Oil on mech. parts.
Hoppe's for inside barrel.
WD40 to wipe done outside finish
3-n-1 Aerosol White Lithium Grease for inside tubes to lubricate springs (mag. tube and inertia; in need a quick blast once a year or so)
muskyduck
hunter

Postby wingseeker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 am

I have several Benellis and just got a Super Vinci (like you)....the one thing that seems to
hold true is that the Benellis do NOT LIKE A TON of oil on them.....
wingseeker
hunter

Postby PowDuck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 pm

The barrel is chrome lined so it mainly just needs to be cleaned.

For the inside parts I prefer a light oil like Remoil that partially evaporates and leaves a Teflon finish behind.

The outside, if camo, just needs to be wiped down with a damp cloth. No oil needed. For the black a light oil, again Remoil, on the metal parts is sufficient.
Romans 8:28
PowDuck
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 am

rcase1234 wrote:What finish do you have? Just about all finishes you should add a light film of oil to prevent rusting with something like Rem Oil. To clean a barrel (I don't own a Benelli but I use this for all barrels) just use some Hoppes 9 with a bore brush (run bore brus back and forth through the whol length of the barrel about 15-20 times) and then patches soaked in Hoppes 9 will you get a clean on. After, run dry patches through till they are almost completely dry. Then I use a patch, bore snake, etc. to add a light coat of rust preventive oil (again, I use Rem Oil) to the inside of the barrel. I only run the mop in and then pull it out once.

Just curious and off topic, but why so much work on the barrel? I've found one or two passes with a bore snake makes it perfect. Quick and easy.

Back to topic, I get the bore snake started then pour a little Hoppes no. 9 down the barrel until it runs down to the snake. I then pull it almost completely through. Right before the thicker back end of the snake goes in, I spray it with a lube so the barrel gets a nice coat. Remoil or CLP has done well for me. It also takes all of a minute to do. Look down the barrel and see the shine. Also, don't forget to take that choke tube out to clean and lube the area it occupies as well as the tube itself.
troutman561
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 am

The best piece of advice I never got when I bought my SBEII is get break free CLP, don't ever use anything else. I am seriously considering buying a case of that stuff, nothing else even comes close. My bolt was sluggish all season long, causing numerous jams, I broke it totally down used all kinds of cleaners, gun scrubber, rem oil, none of it worked. Got Break free before snow goose season, sprayed down my entire chamber and bolt, thing cycles better than it ever has. Do your self a favor and get it you'll never use anything else.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby g_maxson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 am

wingseeker wrote:I have several Benellis and just got a Super Vinci (like you)....the one thing that seems to
hold true is that the Benellis do NOT LIKE A TON of oil on them.....

Exactly.

Never anything down the recoil tube.
Never anything in the magazine tube.
Never anything on the trigger group.
Never anything on/in the bolt.
Marine grease on the choke tube threads.
1 drop of FP-10 the rails.
Rem oil on the outside of the barrel.

Have run an M1 like that for 17 years, over 2 cases a year.

Once a year I blow out the trigger group with the air compressor and Gun Scrubber it. Gun Scrubber the bolt. And that's it. Never mess with the recoil spring.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Weston81 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm

CLP and CLP break free is all I've used for a few years now. Break free in the barrell and then a very, VERY small amount of CLP run through as well followed by a clean patch or two. A light coat of CLP on everything else and that's it.
Weston81
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 am

Wipe out the factory grease. Put a little break free oil on that baby where the moveable parts touch and let it eat. Its a benelli it will shoot like a champ especially after initial break in. I have owned 2 Super BE IIs and they were amazing guns.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 am

2 passes with a bore shake- the last with a small amount of oil sprayed on the back end to LIGHTLY coat the chamber and bore. Remove choke tube and use factory wrench to clean threads in barrel- wipe down exterior of tube and reinstall with a dab of Choke Tube Lube on the threads. Remove, wipe off and blow out the trigger assembly and put a VERY LIGHT coat of oil on the springs. Disassemble the bolt assembly, clean the parts and reassemble with a VERY LIGHT coat of oil on the springs. Wipe inside of receiver clean and put a tiny dab of gun grease (your choice on brand) in the channels for the bolt to slide. Reassemble, working the bolt back and forth a few times to distribute the grease and spray a tad bit of oil on a rag and wipe exterior down before storing.

Once a year I put foaming bore cleaner in the chamber and take a 10 gauge bore brush and chuck it into a drill on a short rod. With the drill running medium speed I scrub the chamber area to remove plastic and carbon buildup to make sure ammo doesn't stick. That's it...the whole process takes just a few minutes from assembled gun to assembled gun AND this is the same process for most any semi auto or pump shotgun (obviously doubles are different).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 am

I use rem oil for the outside. Hornady one shot for everything inside! Bore snake the barrel. If I clean the trigger group I spray Remington shot gun cleaner in it. Let it dry then spray one shot until it dries. Assemble and done

I used to use clp but oil gets all over your hands gun , counters . The oil is not a dry lube and I rather have a dry lube to not attract dirt.
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 am

SPatrick wrote:The best piece of advice I never got when I bought my SBEII is get break free CLP, don't ever use anything else. I am seriously considering buying a case of that stuff, nothing else even comes close. My bolt was sluggish all season long, causing numerous jams, I broke it totally down used all kinds of cleaners, gun scrubber, rem oil, none of it worked. Got Break free before snow goose season, sprayed down my entire chamber and bolt, thing cycles better than it ever has. Do your self a favor and get it you'll never use anything else.

100%!
I have a Super Vinci and a Nova and I only use CLP. After a hunt I punch the barrel with a bore snake and wipe out the receiver with a rag with a little CLP. Sometimes Ill take the choke out and clean the threads. I also take the trigger group off and clean with a rag and some Q-tips. Takes 5 minutes

Once a year when I feel motivated, after the season I will disassemble the bolt wipe and clean everything. Its a bit of a PIA on the SuperVinci, but overall it takes 15 minutes. On the Nova, the whole gun takes 5 minutes.

CLP - best stuff ever. Never a jam or any problems. Don't need 3 different cans of stuff. It does everything.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:36 am

Gabagool wrote:
SPatrick wrote:The best piece of advice I never got when I bought my SBEII is get break free CLP, don't ever use anything else. I am seriously considering buying a case of that stuff, nothing else even comes close. My bolt was sluggish all season long, causing numerous jams, I broke it totally down used all kinds of cleaners, gun scrubber, rem oil, none of it worked. Got Break free before snow goose season, sprayed down my entire chamber and bolt, thing cycles better than it ever has. Do your self a favor and get it you'll never use anything else.

100%!
I have a Super Vinci and a Nova and I only use CLP. After a hunt I punch the barrel with a bore snake and wipe out the receiver with a rag with a little CLP. Sometimes Ill take the choke out and clean the threads. I also take the trigger group off and clean with a rag and some Q-tips. Takes 5 minutes

Once a year when I feel motivated, after the season I will disassemble the bolt wipe and clean everything. Its a bit of a PIA on the SuperVinci, but overall it takes 15 minutes. On the Nova, the whole gun takes 5 minutes.

CLP - best stuff ever. Never a jam or any problems. Don't need 3 different cans of stuff. It does everything.

Just leaves oil everywhere. Get I to your fingers as now everything you touch has oil i it. Messy. That's why I stopped using it. And no.... I was to overusing
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:47 am

DuckmanOK wrote: And no.... I was to overusing

?? - Its oil. It should be oily. Sometimes it gets on your hands. I found the best way to handle this rather common problem is to walk - don't run- to the sink. Theres a great product called Palmolive. I apply it to my hands, but don't rub yet. Heres the tricky part. At this point, I turn the water on. NOW, I rub my hands together, and add some water. You will notice a white foam, which I think they call the "lather." I keep rubbing, rather vigorously until I feel I have scrubbed most of the oil free. Then I put my hands under the running water and wash the, now dirty "lather," down the drain.

You don't necessarily have to use Palmolive. There are other brands available.

The reason I turn the water on and then rub my hands together is to avoid getting soap on the faucet. One less thing to clean.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Just realized this was a dupe response and the thread is OLD!
Last edited by apexhunter on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey Gaba GABA goo goo ,

Lol nice . You have way to much time in the day to write a pointless reply. :-)

Anyways, back to topic. CLP IMO is a wet lube and not a dry lube . Yes it's both oil and wet oil attracts dirt . That dirt gums up inertia guns easier so I use dry lube (oil). You don't want a lot of oil anyways. So with that said , GABAgoo goo you can goo up your gun with tons of oil and use this Palmolive you speak of to clean it all up. Haha :-)
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I have never had a problem with CLP. Although I try to clean my jammy after each hunt, I don't always get around to it. I have gone weeks without cleaning, hunting 2-3 days per week without cleaning and never had an issue. But hey, to each his own.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Gabagool wrote:I have never had a problem with CLP. Although I try to clean my jammy after each hunt, I don't always get around to it. I have gone weeks without cleaning, hunting 2-3 days per week without cleaning and never had an issue. But hey, to each his own.

I agree. I think its THE best rust preventative just rather have a dry lube that's all.

Hey , all in good fun with this thread right Gaba. No hard feelings. Hope you get some birds this year and hey like your gun choice! :-)
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 am

DuckmanOK wrote:
Gabagool wrote:I have never had a problem with CLP. Although I try to clean my jammy after each hunt, I don't always get around to it. I have gone weeks without cleaning, hunting 2-3 days per week without cleaning and never had an issue. But hey, to each his own.

I agree. I think its THE best rust preventative just rather have a dry lube that's all.

Hey , all in good fun with this thread right Gaba. No hard feelings. Hope you get some birds this year and hey like your gun choice! :-)

Same to you. Finally another member with a sense of humor! :beer:
Gabagool
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:05 pm

CLP
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:08 pm

For the barrel. Wet patch with nitro solvent, dry patch, dry patch, lightly oiled patch with hoppes 9 oil.

For inside, I take it apart and wipe everything down with a rag and a little nitro solvent. Then I dry everything up and lightly oil the grooves for the bolt slide.

That is how I, simply, clean all the guns I work with.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Carb cleaner and 2 stroke oil, no joke. Wd-40 for the outside. I clean my berettas this way too.
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I didn't think you guys ever had to clean a Benelli! :sniper:

The adds always show some grizzled dude that looks like he hadn't had a bath in a hundred years and the gun does't look much bettter. I thought they were marketing to guys who didn't clean their stuff. By the way, have yoou ever noticed that the dog in those adds is always cleaner than the guy? :yes:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum