maxus and hypersonic

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

maxus and hypersonic

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 am

just ordered the maxus in shadowgrass 26in barrel. excited for this gun! anyone have this weapon and shoot hypersonic? wondering if there is any cycling issues with the ammo. i know some weapons dont cycle hypersonic properly. sure would love to hear if you have a max and shoot hyper! thanks
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Re: maxus and hypersonic

Postby Chattflorida » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 am

I haven't shot hypersonics in that particular gun but I did shoot a few in a buddy's M2 and those things kick bad. I'm not sure if it would be as bad through a gas operated gun but I've shot quite a few 3/12's through my extrema II and none of them kicked as hard as the hypersonics and I just shot the 3" shells in my buddies gun.
Chattflorida
hunter

Postby B-Boy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Congratulations on your new Maxus. Do yourself a favor and lose the Hypersonic shells. I have tried a few in my Maxus and I won't do it again. I'm not sure if the receiver of the Maxus (made of alloy) will handle shells with that much speed on a regular basis. You don't need the extra speed to kill a duck or goose, the recoil is punishing, and the cost is ridiculous. In addition to that, I have found that many after-market choke tube manufacturers won't warrantee their product if the shells you are using are faster than 1550 fps. Be careful, you don't want to ruin a new gun.
Benelli - Cordoba (20 ga. & 12 ga.)
Browning - 725 Sporting (12 ga.), Maxus Hunter
B-Boy
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm

I shot hypersonic out of my supernova and noticed they kicked alot more. Actually they are the only round I ever had jam in that gun. But it was late season and super cold out. Not sure if that had anything to do with it either. Congrats on the maxus real nice gun
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:41 am

2 friends and I went to Arkansas the year the hypersonics came about. We had this envision we were going to slay some high flying snows with em. Yea, envision was right. The only sleighing that was accomplished was done to our shoulders. I think we shot about a box a piece and was friendly enough to give our guide the rest.
Last edited by jstewart_1981 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:52 am

I bought a box of Hypersonics when they came out to shoot in my maxus. They were 31/2 number 1. Out of six shots they threw the bolt open and wouldn't cycle the next shell. This was in a CLEAN gun that was lightly oiled. I gave the rest of the box away to my dad who shoots an 870.
erp10
hunter

Postby MAX4Utah » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't think Hypetsonics are good for any weapon. I bought a box last season, shot one shell and gave the rest away to my buddy with an SBE. He shot two shells and handed them to his buddy. I think they ended up in the garbage. Don't do it man, your shoulder and gun will thank you :thumbsup:
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 am

Definitely stay away from the hypersonics. My buddy's gun never had an issue until he shot hypersonics for a while. If I remember correctly, it quit cycling. I patterned them when they first came out with little success. The recoil is excessive and definitely not worth it IMO.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby mikebenghp » Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm

I used a couple boxes of the hypersonic this year in my browning gold. 3" #3's. The recoil was a bit rougher than most shells but not too bad. the real difference to me was the sound. It was deafening! I imagine that extra force will be wearing out the gun faster.the shells shot and cycled perfectly fine. but, after seeing what they did to the birds I will not be using them anymore except maybe for honkers. At thirty five yards the skin was nearly ripped off the bird. And the bb holes in the meat were enormous.

In short, I don't think the shells are worth the price. I do just as well with Kent or winchester and my wallet doesn't hurt as much.
mikebenghp
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

I shot several boxes of Hypersonic through my Maxus the year they released it. I find the loads very effective. But out of a gun as light as the Maxus the recoil was just punishing! I will never shoot a shell faster than 1550 now.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Fri May 03, 2013 3:33 pm

I shot two cases of hypersonics, but really don't plan on buying them again unless they are dirt cheap. I had no problem killing ducks with them, but the wear and tear they probably put on your gun is not worth it, especially an autoloader.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat May 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Shot a box of hypersonics out of my maxus this year. The ducks weren't any deader with the hypersonics than my usual loads. I felt like they kicked about as much as a 3.5" load and didn't have any cycling issues with them. Having said that, I would only buy them if they were the cheapest shells on the shelf.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby UnderDucker » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am

I shot 3.5 Hypersonics in my Beretta Extrema2 last year and they just about blew my shoulder off. Very hard hitting.....too much recoil....and in my mind, I don't need this kind of power. Very unhappy with the purchase. Changing up to standard 3" from now on.
UnderDucker
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Fri May 10, 2013 9:38 am

yeah I have a maxus and its a big POS, and hypersonics blow also
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 am

Canada-hammer wrote:yeah I have a maxus and its a big POS, and hypersonics blow also

How much do you want for that 'POS"?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Fri May 10, 2013 10:40 am

MarkM wrote:
Canada-hammer wrote:yeah I have a maxus and its a big POS, and hypersonics blow also

How much do you want for that 'POS"?

pm me about it
Canada-hammer
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum