Black finished duck guns?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Black finished duck guns?

Postby Shotgunner12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 am

Been lookin for me a new duck gun. Im hung up on just settling on a black synthetic or spending the extra on a camo synthetic. Does the camo actually matter tht much or does it just make the gun look cooler? Any advice on this would help. Thanks.
Hand me some more shells!
Shotgunner12
hunter

Re: Black finished duck guns?

Postby duckman27 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:17 am

A Camo gun will look cool until the paint starts wearing off and then it'll look like crap. I won't buy a camo gun because of that. Black guns will kill a duck perfectly fine and they're a few hundred bucks less expensive
duckman27
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 am

Only way that it matters in my opinion is it camo guns are more rust resistant. Seems they handle the elements a lot better. Myself I get my black guns dipped for this reason. Plus if you get a black one then you can have it dipped in whatever camo pattern you choose
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 am

I hunted with a black gun for a few years and cant say I ever had a duck to flare from it. I have some buddies that still hunts with a black gun. If that ducks are close enough to make out you have a black gun it should have already been shot. On top of that I think we hunters make to big of a deal out of camo.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 am

I would only buy a black gun if I were going to use it at night.

If you can always (key word) hold your gun perfectly still until it's time to shoot, then a black gun will suffice. Problem is; nobody can do that.
I look at it this way: the camo never hurts....it can only help, and most of us need all the help we can get.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 am

mudpack wrote:I would only buy a black gun if I were going to use it at night.

If you can always (key word) hold your gun perfectly still until it's time to shoot, then a black gun will suffice. Problem is; nobody can do that.
I look at it this way: the camo never hurts....it can only help, and most of us need all the help we can get.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:51 am

For the last couple years I've used a Maxus in Carbon Fiber , I have not notice a bird flaring from it yet but ,quiet a few
folding-up from the shot ! Kind of like my old 870's and Mod 12's , they just don't seem to see them before it's to late .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 am

I buy the rust resistance argument for camo dip, but would rather not hunt with some nervous Nelly who can't hold any gun still until time to go. From what I've seen carrying thousands of pay hunters, if he's raising the gun early, he's little doubt bringing his noggin up with it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 am

I bought a black Browning Silver last season. I hunt mostly salt marsh or brackish water. After this season with it, i am having it dipped. I already had spots showing up on my barrel, and i keep the gun pretty clean. Only reason i bought the gun was because of the crazy cheap deal i got on it, but even with paying to have it dipped i'm still below the regular cost of the gun. Honestly i would never own a non-dipped gun for waterfowl hunting anymore.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 am

Picture says a thousand words.

arkansas2013 438.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 am

My X2 is camo and now it has some age and use the camo is wearing off and it's starting to bother me. My X3 is black and looks just as good as day 1. The black guns don't flare the birds anymore than the camo ones do. Back before the early 90's duck guns had shiny wood and shiny blued barrels and they worked. For me I'll stick with the black guns.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby TheRDJ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:03 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:Only way that it matters in my opinion is it camo guns are more rust resistant. Seems they handle the elements a lot better. Myself I get my black guns dipped for this reason. Plus if you get a black one then you can have it dipped in whatever camo pattern you choose

On the money.
I think any gun looks far better in black or wood or whatever is NOT camo, but the camo coating does protect the gun. I myself am looking at the a400 and I really hate to get it in camo. It is just too cool looking to cover with camo
TheRDJ
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 pm

When a duck is flying over it, the water is the backdrop to the gun in a lot of cases. So unless you're hunting really muddy water like in aunt Betty's picture, wouldn't a black gun camouflage better with the water?
duckman27
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Most of us don't hunt standing in sewage lagoons.
If you do, a black gun might be perfect.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 pm

mudpack wrote:Most of us don't hunt standing in sewage lagoons.
If you do, a black gun might be perfect.

You can kill ALOT of birds off a sewer pond. Whatever the hunting scenario is, it all comes down to one thing. Are you being still? If you are then the birds could care less what color your gun is
duckman27
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Have only been waterfowling since 1967 so in my limited experiences, the gun treatment makes little if any difference. Also, I don't care what camo pattern you have, move around, and they will flare. I have observed way too many birds killed by shiny wood/blued Browning A-5's to not know better.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Shotgunner12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm

The black guns are soundin better all the time. I have hunted 2 duck seasons now and love it. I have been hunting with my Winchester 1400 but I hate having to baby it around. I've killed quite few with it and I don't think a duck has flared from it yet. Most of them tht flare flare from my buddy movin around. Haha :lol3: But wat can you expect from three 17 year old boys tryin to teach themselves how to duck hunt. :rolleyes: Haha. I think I might look a little more seriously at black guns. how much does it usually cost to get one camoed?
Hand me some more shells!
Shotgunner12
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Shotgunner12 wrote:The black guns are soundin better all the time. I have hunted 2 duck seasons now and love it. I have been hunting with my Winchester 1400 but I hate having to baby it around. I've killed quite few with it and I don't think a duck has flared from it yet. Most of them tht flare flare from my buddy movin around. Haha :lol3: But wat can you expect from three 17 year old boys tryin to teach themselves how to duck hunt. :rolleyes: Haha. I think I might look a little more seriously at black guns. how much does it usually cost to get one camoed?

Cheapest I've seen is around $115
duckman27
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I buy the rust resistance argument for camo dip, but would rather not hunt with some nervous Nelly who can't hold any gun still until time to go. From what I've seen carrying thousands of pay hunters, if he's raising the gun early, he's little doubt bringing his noggin up with it.

Have to agree with Rick. I use wood stocked guns, camo guns, and black guns, and do not find that any one type will scare the birds more than another. If you're moving around or figeting, the duck/birds will spot ya. Kindda reminds me of when they first brought camo arrows on the market. IMO, the manufacturers were playing to the whims of the hunters/shooters. In the case of these arrows, which had more reflection from the sun, a shiny orange arrow or a shiny camo arrow? If they were moving, you could spot either.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Remember on dip jobs often times you get what you pay for. Go with someone you can see examples of their work and talk to folks who have used them. I'm more than happy with the people that did my SBEII. As a matter of fact I just dropped a Beretta off to them this week to have them dip it for my gf to use

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby ZinkCallin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 am

the less that stands out the better, and the extra couple hundred dollars your going to sped about the same amount for camo.. the duratouch that comes on the new camo guns will not rust, so it looks better until it starts wearing off.. just like anything else, condition goes down with use.
ZinkCallin
Newb

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am

I've had my black synthetic 835 for 12 years now. From my short experience, I'd have to say camo would be nice to have but the success I've had thus far wouldn't change. Just stay hidden, keep your face covered with a mask or paint, and no sudden movements while ducks are working.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:. I'd have to say camo would be nice to have but the success I've had thus far wouldn't change. ...

The thing is, none of us know what might have happened had we done something different.

Ever had a bird coming your way then, at 80 yards, slide off and go by 60 yards away, only to land someplace else? Of course you have; we all have. Maybe it saw a black gun.

Ever had a flock make half a dozen passes over you at 50 yards, then just fly away? Of course you have; we all have. Maybe they saw a black gun.

Ever had birds glide towards your spread, only to suddenly plop down on the water just out of range and look at you? Of course you have; we all have. Maybe they saw a black gun. We'll never know.......

We'll never know how many ducks a visible gun has cost us. We'll never know how many ducks a bright face has cost us. We'll never know how many ducks a sudden movement has cost us. None of those things will cost us EVERY duck, but they do cost us some. That I can guarantee you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Not if you're shoot'n in-stead of wondering if they saw your black gun ?
Sometimes , the second pass is all you're going to get so , don't worry about the gun color , read the birds .

As long as you're hidden and or still with a good decoy spread , black ,purple,green or red guns don't bother birds because ,
they are looking at your decoys .
3200 man
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Back when the whole "camo your gun" thing started we used camo tape.
I spent a hole lot of time and effort taping up my 20 gauge 870 all nice.
I took it out scouting to this one pond I always jumped ducks off of. For some goofy reason I laid the gun down so I could crawl and see if ducks were over the rise on the edge of the pond. There were lots of ducks...I was all excited and danged if I couldn't find that little 20 gauge. Scared the ducks off and spent about 25 minutes searching for it in the grass. It was RIGHT there the whole time. :mad:

Yeah, camo shotgun is a requirement I'd say. :yes: :yes: :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum