Black finished duck guns?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Black finished duck guns?

Postby mudpack » Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:Do you know what a black gun looks like to a duck?.......... A stick poking out of the mud..................nothing more nothing less............

Only if you're hunting in a fresh burn area. How many things in nature are pure black? I'll tell you: not many.
Waterfowl guns are used in non-black environments. If cattails, bulrush, kochia, cordgrass, smartweed, etc. were black, I'd be using a camo-black gun, too. :biggrin:

Of course, plenty of birds have been killed with black guns. How many MORE could have been killed with a gun the birds cannot see?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

Thank goodness someone thought they saw this poor horse twitch, forum was getting dull after folks wore themselves out on the 20ga thread.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 am

I stand by my first statement.... If you can't do it with a black gun... your doing it wrong.

Also, once one reaches a limit... you can't shoot any more, so the question about how many more could've been shot is moot... You can only shoot what you can legaly shoot.. black gun or not.

Oh...and what color is a shadow?

Time to think outside the box. :hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Quizz79 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:24 pm

How many of you Camo gun guys hunt with a black dog? Do you cover that dog up with Camo?? At the end of the day if you know what your doing the color of your gun doesn't matter...I think Camo guns look cool, but it makes no difference when hunting!
Quizz79
Newb

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Quizz79 wrote:How many of you Camo gun guys hunt with a black dog? Do you cover that dog up with Camo??

Black gun and camo dog, here. The dog's a whooole lot more apt to be where he might be seen:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm

mudpack wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Do you know what a black gun looks like to a duck?.......... A stick poking out of the mud..................nothing more nothing less............

Only if you're hunting in a fresh burn area. How many things in nature are pure black? I'll tell you: not many.
Waterfowl guns are used in non-black environments. If cattails, bulrush, kochia, cordgrass, smartweed, etc. were black, I'd be using a camo-black gun, too. :biggrin:

Of course, plenty of birds have been killed with black guns. How many MORE could have been killed with a gun the birds cannot see?

Probably only a few more. Your forgetting one thing ducks see movement the best. If you move a camo gun guess what their gonna see it. Move a black gun once again their gonna see it. To me a black gun as stated looks like a branch. A guy who knows what he's doing with a black gun will do just as good as someone with a camo gun. Camo guns are for eye appeal and rust provention.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri May 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Quizz79 wrote:How many of you Camo gun guys hunt with a black dog? Do you cover that dog up with Camo??

Black gun and camo dog, here. The dog's a whooole lot more apt to be where he might be seen:

Every time I see that dog... I wanna' clone it. Beautiful pup Rick.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 04, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks. He's six now, and I'm starting to think about cloning him, myself, been a fine hand.

And thanks for an opening to post the shot I started to use above, but which didn't show the hunting situation well:

(I've become one of those people you wouldn't want to get started on pics of their grandkids.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat May 04, 2013 10:19 am

Black vs camo. I paint my face black for waterfowl hunting like the bearded ones from La. I also own 2 black and 4 wood finished guns. Guns do not scare waterfowl, hunters do. Even black Labs sitting outside the blind never spooked ducks for me. Jon.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:29 pm

My black gun is 4 for 4 on turkeys this year. 2 were under 10 yds. If a turkey can't see it then I promise you ducks won't.
duckman27
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun May 05, 2013 7:05 am

Gunnysway wrote:IAlso, once one reaches a limit... you can't shoot any more, so the question about how many more could've been shot is moot... You can only shoot what you can legaly shoot.. black gun or not.

You are assuming that everyone limits out every time they go hunting.
How about those days you shot one or two birds? Could you have shot three or four with equipment the birds could not see?
That's my point.

Gunnysway wrote:Oh...and what color is a shadow?

The same color the same piece of ground is on a cloudy day when your whole world is in shadow.
And it isn't black.
Does your black gun disappear when it is in shadow?

I hope everyone who hunts the areas I'm hunting has black guns.
Last edited by mudpack on Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 am

The camo guns are for sell point only, although they help little on some manufactures for rust protection because there bluing is of low quality. movement is key to what ever gun finish you have does not make or break your hunt. my dad used to get out of blind and run through decoys with black jacket on and the geese would turn and come straight towards are flooded corn field set ups. then we would finish them with good decoy set ups and calling.
I have a 870 remington with high luster bluing with high gloss bluing that i have had in my hands while turning decoys into wind and ducks showed up i just got low as i could with the gun ready,i know it shines to no end when sun is shining but if set still and decoys are set right they come right on top of you even with no camo on and gun putting glare off of it. movement is the only thing that will flare ducks and geese. well calling if your not greatest caller in world.

I have yellow black and chocolate labs. i have let them out of pit to do there duties and have all of them running around and waterfowl hit the area i give command they sit there in decoys. with them smack dab in the decoys the ducks still try to land right on top of them i have seen that so many times that i lost count.. basically it does not make a difference if you have shiny,not shiny,camo ect if in spot were birds want to be and decoys are right then your going to kill ducks/geese. i have laid on ground with piece of canvas(solid color) right in middle of decoys and have killed many a duck late in the year.

The people selling the guns love to sell the camo guns because they make more money per gun with camo and people get all googly eyed over the new camo patterns. it is the same in the fishing industry half those colors are just to catch the fisherman, not the fish. there profits increase if catch a few sportsman with the new hot color that people try on there next fishing trip but end up taking the lure off line and changing back to lure /color that has been good for generations. before camo came out on guns why was there so many ducks and geese shot with those fancy shiny guns back in day the ducks were just as smart back than as they are today.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun May 05, 2013 9:35 am

Absolutely and your gun is properly hid until you get ready to shoot. You aren't up waving it around. How did the old timers kill so many ducks without camo. They used natural cover on their permanent blinds and when it froze up hunted the open water holes using burlap from gunny sacks and natural brush. I was part of this type of hunting. You could build water and windproof blinds by using willow bundles tied together with binder twine and making it three layers thick including the roof. Then along came plywood. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:05 pm

exactly, when we have people come and hunt with us they have hold of there shotguns and bbls are moving all the time up through the hole betwween the camo. that flares more ducks than anything even with all the camo (natrural weeds,ect) and all those fancy camo guns they have does not help. i have all my guns up against front of blind in holders for bbls. I do not grab my gun until i call the shot and grab and come up and shoulder all at same time. by then the ducks are in trouble if i do my part. are pits/blinds are so full of weeds/tree limbs that you can hardly see the birds through the weeds. the full picture comes about when stand up and over the weeds.

i have camo guns but it really does not make hill of beans to ducks. camo is a good conversation piece/but so is high gloss wood. my remington high gloss has killed more ducks than i could even count my dad bought that gun for me when i was 8 years old. that was 33 years ago and i have it in the blind with me perty much all the time, only thing that has changed from being new is full bbl was cut and chokes were put in when steel shot was mandated.

no movement good camo on blinds your set even high gloss pink gun will work.

good shootin.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 pm

mudpack wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:IAlso, once one reaches a limit... you can't shoot any more, so the question about how many more could've been shot is moot... You can only shoot what you can legaly shoot.. black gun or not.

How about those days you shot one or two birds? Could you have shot three or four with equipment the birds could see?
That's my point.

The same color the same piece of ground is on a cloudy day when your whole world is in shadow.
And it isn't black.

I feel like somebody just got a little buthurt :no:
duckman27
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun May 05, 2013 7:01 pm

duckman27 wrote:I feel like somebody just got a little buthurt :no:

Do you also feel like you've been owned?
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Nope why should I feel "owned"?
duckman27
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 am

mudpack wrote:

How about those days you shot one or two birds? Could you have shot three or four with equipment the birds could not see?
That's my point.

No, I don't assume that. What I know, is that weather I am shooting my camo gun, or my black gun, or my wood gun, I can still put birds on the ground with equal consistancy. You assume that is not possible. Your point is that on days I shoot 1 or 2 birds, someone with a camo gun WOULD have shot more birds. I think that argument is silly, as there is no way to know other than looking at the results on the ground. People have been killing all animals, forever with "non-camo" weapons, and they have done it effectively.

Pellets kill birds... movement kills hunters...

And it isn't black.

So your saying that a background would be monotone... all one color... no shadows... on a cloudy day...
Cat tails would all be the same color and there would be no distinction between one blade of grass and the one behind it. A tree line would be solid brown/grey with no distinction between two trees. How about waves on a lake? No shadows when cloudy?

Which is the camo gun?
imagesCA1G5C5A.jpg
imagesCA1G5C5A.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Even seen up close, it doesn't differentiate enough that one would kill more. Or is that not the right kind of camo?
waterfowl-hunt.jpg
waterfowl-hunt.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 816 times

How about this? Would a black gun be effective?
uruguay duck hunting trip 99021.jpg

Or this rock formation... and waves? No shadows... right?
DSCN1948.jpg

Good for you... they probably do, and they probably shoot as many as you do. I would have shot higher though, and hoped for something a little more relevant... like the ability to admit defeat... or a clue.

Good luck this coming season.

I will need it... I shoot a black gun... :hammer:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I, too, run a camouflage dog.

As for the gun, depends on how rusty it's getting. If its rusty enough, I drop the krylon bomb. When I do, I like for it to be stylish.

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Yea Cannon , So with that pink gun comes a Smile , Priceless ! and soon to be , more ducks on the ground I Bet !

Hell with the guns , give me more pictures Fellas ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm

3200 man wrote: So with that pink gun comes a Smile

It's camouflaged, just pink camo, that's all.

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby pvn6616 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Where can I get my black dog dipped and camo'ed?
Attachments
DSCN8750.JPG
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:46 pm

id go with the black.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 am

It doesn't make a hill of beans either way, get what you want.

Bright sun and wood & polished blue gun, still got a 5 bird limit:

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 am

mudpack wrote:

That's my point.

And it isn't black.

Your giving ducks wayyyy to much credit.
g_maxson
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum