Black finished duck guns?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Black finished duck guns?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:27 pm

3200 man wrote:Not if you're shoot'n in-stead of wondering if they saw your black gun ?
Sometimes , the second pass is all you're going to get so , don't worry about the gun color , read the birds .

As long as you're hidden and or still with a good decoy spread , black ,purple,green or red guns don't bother birds because ,
they are looking at your decoys .

I like that attitude and the answer that went along with it.

I realize that there isn't an omnipotent hunter out there. If there is, I'm far from it. But I do realize that staying hidden is key to having a great duck hunt. I had a conversation with someone on here that had spoken with a fish and game officer that flew planes. He said the first 3 things he could spot on a refuge were black decoys on the water, a hunter's hands, and the hunter's face. I always carry a mask or paint depending on how hot it is. Seems to work well for me.

Aside from that, I wouldn't think a camo gun won't make you shoot limits. You might end up like Aunt Betty and lose it once we hit his age hahaha. If you had no fund limit, I'd go camo. But, from my short experience of enjoying the sport I'd spend the money on shells, a good call, some decoys, and other gear.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Using the black gun as a possible reason for not bringing the bird to range could also apply to camo guns. What if that MOSG pattern just didn't "fit" the decor of your blind arrangement? Heavens! Don't ever take such a pattern into the greentimber! Gimme a break!
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:33 pm

I agree with that , I've seen beautiful Camo guns being packed by fellas wearing Black Hoodies ? and they had something
written all over it . I don't know what it said but , me in my camo waders , camo shirt and hat killed ducks with my black gun !
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:18 am

3200 man wrote: I've seen beautiful Camo guns being packed by fellas wearing Black Hoodies ? and they had something written all over it . I don't know what it said but , me in my camo waders , camo shirt and hat killed ducks with my black gun !

Your logic is, well, illogical. Why do you feel that waders, hats, and shirts should be camo, but not the gun? How about waders, hat, and gun being camo, and the shirt being black? Oh, yeah, you think THAT's ridiculous....

Point is; when you are hunting, camo is more effective than non-camo...whether we are talking about jackets, guns, or faces. Doubt anyone can argue that.

The bottom line is that we use a camo gun for the same reasons we use a camo jacket/hat/waders/gloves/etc. None of us NEED camo (anything) to kill a duck, but it makes the job much easier. Use what you want.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 12gaugemafia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am

mudpack wrote:
3200 man wrote: I've seen beautiful Camo guns being packed by fellas wearing Black Hoodies ? and they had something written all over it . I don't know what it said but , me in my camo waders , camo shirt and hat killed ducks with my black gun !

Your logic is, well, illogical. Why do you feel that waders, hats, and shirts should be camo, but not the gun? How about waders, hat, and gun being camo, and the shirt being black? Oh, yeah, you think THAT's ridiculous....

Point is; when you are hunting, camo is more effective than non-camo...whether we are talking about jackets, guns, or faces. Doubt anyone can argue that.

The bottom line is that we use a camo gun for the same reasons we use a camo jacket/hat/waders/gloves/etc. None of us NEED camo (anything) to kill a duck, but it makes the job much easier. Use what you want.

I agree Mudpack...I say use any and all advantages we can get. Its so funny how no matter what forum you go to everyone wants to bring up New camo guns and the Black Hoodie...Why so much hate for the young guys wanting to get into a great sport, that spends tax dollars on something we all love. I just don't get it...Its not like this whole duck hunting thing is a secret society. Is it?
12gaugemafia
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am

Mudpack , You seem like a very logical guy so , I'll put it this way . If I'm hunting in timber or my lay-out blind , I wear a Brown
coat or shirt . If I'm hunting in tules (early season) it's green or late it's back to brown . Now with all these , I'm shooting a Black
gun and after 54 years of killing Waterfowl ,I don't think I've scared 0ne ( 1) bird away with my gun if I didn't some something .
Other than when I raised-up to kill their ass , then they were scared , if I missed ! LOL's

OH Yea , Black Hoodies are made for night shooting or hole-in-the-ground hunt'n ? I don't own one !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:07 am

You do realize you're arguing with someone who seems to think the only backdrop a black gun's going to blend fine with is a sewage lagoon?

If he thinks a camo dipped gun isn't going to contrast as much or more in any of many settings, more power to him. Still ain't gonna make a duck a season's difference.
Last edited by Rick Hall on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 am

A Black gun looks like a tree branch to me. We have hunted in wheat fields for geese and guys will lay their guns outside the blind and the geese still landed 10 yards away? I guess if you want the gun to be camo when you go to shoot the bird thats your issue. Rust advantage is true. Ducks are still gonna see the movement of a camo gun tho.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm not saying Black guns are better and everyone that has a camo gun doesn't know what they're doing because , if you can
shoot it straight , who gives a damn ? Not Me ! Now if you're saying gun protection , that's only for fellas that don't want to
clean their gun when they use them . All I can say is , mine are 50 - 60 years-old and no they don't look new but , they work and
kill ducks each season .

Marketing and promotional BS sometimes get's out'a hand , for some ,I guess ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363208678.479210.jpg
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:23 pm

There you go ,that's a Waterfowlers gun ! Keep the thing clean and it will serve you well !

BUT , take that damn sling off in the blind , I just use a pcs of rope on mine ............just kidding !

3200 man
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:28 pm

If u dont have camo on ur gun your a crappy duck hunter!!!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm

That's true but , I do kill ducks !

3200 man
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

the purpose in my mind for camo guns is eye candy and rust protection.
Last edited by winchester1852 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Seems to work fine, even in the snow.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1363225067624.jpg
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 am

Now that the Duck Commander guys are back to shooting their wood stocked A5s. Camo coated guns will not be as popular. We will see plenty of the new guys using their fathers old guns.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 am

winchester1852 wrote:the purpose in my mind for camo guns is eye candy and rust protection.

In your mind, what is the purpose of camo jackets?
Since it surely isn't rust protection, is it just "eye candy"? ...or does it have a genuine purpose there?
If it has a genuine purpose on your jacket, would it not have a genuine purpose on your gun?
Something to think about...

Unless, like some, you do all your duck hunting on the city sewer ponds...in which case having all-black gear would be highly appropriate. Sewer Ninja!! :biggrin:
Last edited by mudpack on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:37 am

I see a lot of hunting shows where the hunter is in all Camo but , the guide is not ? Now ,most of the hunts are for Big Game
so , I wonder if these animals eye-site isn't as good as a Duck ? Maybe the Ducks that I shoot are color blind or maybe it doesn't
matter ? I hunted with a fella in Arkansas ( flooded timber ) and he wore a Black shirt with a Black Safari hat .He owns the property
we were hunting so , I kept my thoughts to myself , black ? Well , we killed our limits of Mallards in about an hour . The birds must
not of seen him or didn't care because , with him standing next to a tree right out in the open they were landing in the water
25 ft away .

3200 man
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 am

The bottom line is movement is the main factor guys. Even with the best camo movement is gonna give u away. Id have to say my favorite camo pattern is KW-1 followed by Buck Brush because their not as dark as Max-4. Natural Brush is the best. Literally guys stick a black gun and walk back 10 yards, looks like a branch to me! Whatever floats your boat though.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:12 am

mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:the purpose in my mind for camo guns is eye candy and rust protection.

Since it surely isn't rust protection, is it just "eye candy"? ...or does it have a genuine purpose there?
If it has a genuine purpose on your jacket, would it not have a genuine purpose on your gun?

That's some remarkably deep thinking that might even be meaningful if any of us were as skinny as our guns.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am

On a sunny day, what color are the shadows?

On a cloudy, rainy day, what color is the timber/brush?

Have you tried to buy a Gore-Tex jacket/parka in brown lately?

Mostly, what I see (catalogs, etc.) is some type of a camo pattern or something (colorwise) better suited for a bassboat.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am

Justin Weber wrote:The bottom line is movement is the main factor.

Exactly, Dont move until your ready to shoot and it wont matter what your wearing.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
mudpack wrote:

That's some remarkably deep thinking that might even be meaningful if any of us were as skinny as our guns.

Nice
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm

I paint all of my shiney bands on my lanyard and paint the yellow neck collars brown so the ducks can't see them either. Same with my bright orange and blue calls. Not really, I'm just being a smart ***
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:19 am

Dont know how I killed these ducks with a Blued gun and Black dog! Oh, thats right I was in a blind :wink:

"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum