Black finished duck guns?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Black finished duck guns?

Postby mudpack » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 am

Rick Hall wrote:That's some remarkably deep thinking that might even be meaningful if any of us were as skinny as our guns.

Oh, it's meaningful....

Alright, substitute "cap" instead of "jacket" (since a cap has even less area than a gun) and apply the same question.
(Yes, I know some young waterfowlers wear black skull caps/beanies, but I'll bet 99% of those of us who have been duck hunting for +20 years do not.)

BTW, the world does not turn black when a cloud passes in front of the sun.

To wrap up my position: as far as I'm concerned, I hope EVERYBODY (else) chooses to use a black gun on my favorite duck marsh. Just one more tiny advantage for me and my camo gun.
mudpack
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:50 am

jaysweet3 wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363208678.479210.jpg

Thats a sweet gun!
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:01 pm

mudpack wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:That's some remarkably deep thinking that might even be meaningful if any of us were as skinny as our guns.

Oh, it's meaningful....

Alright, substitute "cap" instead of "jacket" (since a cap has even less area than a gun) and apply the same question.

You may very well differ, but I'm a whole lot more likely to have to move my head while working birds than my gun.

But we've still managed to do some good with interesting headgear choices in the blind when it's been held still:

Best of luck to you this Fall. I'm sure most of us would be tickled to see you get all the birds our black guns flare.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm

mudpack wrote:

Oh, it's meaningful....

(Yes, I know some young waterfowlers wear black skull caps/beanies, but I'll bet 99% of those of us who have been duck hunting for +20 years do not.)

BTW, the world does not turn black when a cloud passes in front of the sun.

To wrap up my position: as far as I'm concerned, I hope EVERYBODY (else) chooses to use a black gun on my favorite duck marsh. Just one more tiny advantage for me and my camo gun.

Thats not an advantage. You should be behind brush or inside a blind if u want to stay hidden from ducks. Try sitting out in the open with all your camo and every duck would see you. Id rather be hidden behind brush or in a blind and where my brown jacket any day of the week than be in the open decked out in camo.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm

mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:the purpose in my mind for camo guns is eye candy and rust protection.

In your mind, what is the purpose of camo jackets?
Since it surely isn't rust protection, is it just "eye candy"? ...or does it have a genuine purpose there?
If it has a genuine purpose on your jacket, would it not have a genuine purpose on your gun?
Something to think about...

Unless, like some, you do all your duck hunting on the city sewer ponds...in which case having all-black gear would be highly appropriate. Sewer Ninja!! :biggrin:

you don't even need camo jackets all you need is dark clothing and get into some brush stay low and still. ok since camo on guns surely isn't rust protection its only purpose is having a pretty gun :wink:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 am

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think plastic camoed guns, are ugly as all get out.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:34 am

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun... :smile:

IMO movement is the biggest problem most guys have, followed by shine (whether it's off a face or shiny shotgun). I'd put camo last in order of importance. I frequently hunt in brown duck coveralls and have no trouble flaring birds. Stay still, keep your face covered, your shotgun in the shadows, and you'll kill birds.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am

One of my favorite duck guns is my ruger all weather 12 gauge its made out of sst and black plastic and I have killed many ducks and geese with it.
cootlover
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 am

Shotgunner12 wrote:Been lookin for me a new duck gun. Im hung up on just settling on a black synthetic or spending the extra on a camo synthetic. Does the camo actually matter tht much or does it just make the gun look cooler? Any advice on this would help. Thanks.

It matters for the same reasons camo jackets, camo waders, camo headgear, camo gloves, and camo facemasks matter.
Bottom line.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:09 am

mudpack wrote:
Shotgunner12 wrote:Been lookin for me a new duck gun. Im hung up on just settling on a black synthetic or spending the extra on a camo synthetic. Does the camo actually matter tht much or does it just make the gun look cooler? Any advice on this would help. Thanks.

It matters for the same reasons camo jackets, camo waders, camo headgear, camo gloves, and camo facemasks matter.
Bottom line.

The first 15 or so years that I hunted I didn't have camo anything. My jacket was an old OD green military coat and I wore plain waders. I shot ducks then just like I do know with all the camo.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:16 am

In the old days everyone shot guns with walmut stocks and wore duck hunting brown. Our camo was burlap made from tow sacks. Man! did we kill the mallards. I was taught stillness and concealment using blinds made from bundles made of willows and tied with binder twin. The blinds were three bundles thick including the roof. We used burlap to make portable concealment after freeze up. There was always open water in the faster running slews. Jon.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm

damn I wish I new that black guns aren't good enough to kill ducks. I wouldn't have bought black SBEII
wjarrell
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah, it is too bad. They do make them in wood.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby TheCoachZed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Shot ducks with my black Winchester Speed Pump before it rusted up from hunting tidal ledges (then I painted it camo).

Around here, there is so much garbage washed ashore on the ledges where I hunt, you could sit in the open wearing a pink tutu and still kill ducks. I don't know much about hunting big timber in the southern US, etc., but here in New Brunswick, camo isn't necessary. Build a good blind, cover your face, and sit still. Or just cover your face and sit still.
TheCoachZed
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 am

TheCoachZed wrote:Shot ducks with my black Winchester Speed Pump before it rusted up from hunting tidal ledges (then I painted it camo).

If you didn't think a camo finish is necessary, why did you go to the trouble of painting the gun camo when a coat of flat black would have been a lot easier? :huh:

Rick Hall wrote:Image

So, Rick, which one are you? :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Have only been waterfowling since 1967 so in my limited experiences, the gun treatment makes little if any difference. Also, I don't care what camo pattern you have, move around, and they will flare. I have observed way too many birds killed by shiny wood/blued Browning A-5's to not know better.

X2. When I bought my BPS a couple years ago I bought it with the camo coating for the sole purpose of cutting down on maintenance of the gun. If I hunt in the rain or it gets wet, all I have to worry about is the inside of the gun. I'm sure the coating will wear off eventually...when that happens I'll just redo it myself.

Any color gun will flare birds if you're moving around. A black gun that is kept still will not flare birds...there is something else going on that's causing the flaring.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 am

mudpack wrote:

Bottom line.

Yep, except the reason would be marketing, not the reason you are inferring. Which is why new camo patterns are introduced like almost every year. If the patterns never changed it would eliminate the more gullible customers and everyone would keep the same jacket for 15 years.
A brown facemask would work just as good as the newest camo pattern. The purpose is to cover up pale skin and brown has the same effect as camo.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:50 pm

mudpack wrote:So, Rick, which one are you? :biggrin:

I'm the one a hunter greeted one morning at the camp coffee pot with, "You must be Rick. They told me to find the guy who looks like he's not going."

But I put a little camo on top of my civies and white noggin before we hunt, so the sports don't think I'm completely crazy:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm

:lol3: Ya' have to love a guy who doesn't take himself too seriously!

I believe the three guys in Rick's photo go a long way in proving my point.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:36 pm

One last thing:
When you black-gun proponents bought that black gun, if the same gun had been available for the same price in camo....which would you have purchased?

I rest my case. :fingerhead:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TheCoachZed » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 pm

mudpack wrote:
TheCoachZed wrote:Shot ducks with my black Winchester Speed Pump before it rusted up from hunting tidal ledges (then I painted it camo).

If you didn't think a camo finish is necessary, why did you go to the trouble of painting the gun camo when a coat of flat black would have been a lot easier? :huh:
[/quote][/quote]

Wanted to see if I could give it an old school camo paint job - I love the look of brown camo, never seen a gun with that finish. It turned out half decent.

I'll do it again (I'm repainting the gun) because I like the look of it. I don't think it's necessary.
TheCoachZed
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

TheCoachZed wrote:I'll do it again (I'm repainting the gun) because I like the look of it. I don't think it's necessary.

Fair enough.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm

mudpack wrote: I believe the three guys in Rick's photo go a long way in proving my point.

Can't imagine how that might be, but curiosity sent me looking to see if I could find what those two guys shot. Could only find one gun pictured, black with a shiny silver choke:

That, and one of the reasons it doesn't make a rat's arse: much of the time most of us are hunting from places little but the tops of our melons are visable.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:42 pm

mudpack wrote:One last thing:
When you black-gun proponents bought that black gun, if the same gun had been available for the same price in camo....which would you have purchased?

I rest my case. :fingerhead:

When I bought my "black" A-5, I went specifically looking for the starker version. They did have a camo one there, and it was a few bucks more, but the reason I bought the black gun had nothing to do with the price. Personally, I don't really care for any camo'd guns, but do own two. The only reason I have those two is because the store did not have a wood-stocked or black version available.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 am

You still can't move a camo gun around ducks will see it...
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum