Maxus vs SX3

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Maxus vs SX3

Postby dskinne » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:30 pm

I have done my research and I've narrowed it down to these two guns. They both shoot 3.5 in but the maxus is 1 OZ lighter and .25" longer. The maxus is 400$ more. They both shoot great but the maxus has a little smoother/lighter recoil. I'm looking for something that can I can use for duck, turkey, dove, and etc. I need something that patterns good and is reliable. I need y'all's opinions so I can confidently decide which one is the best for me!
dskinne
hunter

Re: Maxus vs SX3

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 pm

it comes down to how you shoulder these guns, they are mostly the same.

sx3: active valve system,metal trigger gard

maxus: power drive, speed load

the active valve and the power drive are basically the same thing, the speed load feature you may never use or may piss you off.

where i live the maxus is about $150 more than the sx3,both good guns.

(flip a coin)
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby JB27 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Go with what shoulders and swings the best. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago trying to debate between the maxus and the sx3. I went with the maxus and love it. I have never had a problem with it not cycling light loads. It shoots whatever I put in it. I hunt in various places boats, rice blind, refuges, brackish marshes and it holds up just fine. I shoot a patternmaster with it and its deadly. Whichever gun you decide to go with pattern it before hunting season and figure out what shoots best out of your gun. You won't be disappointed in either gun though.
JB27
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:23 am

Buy the one you like the best. Guns are personal choices. Only you can decide. Either one will meet your criteria.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ZinkCallin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 pm

I hunt with a guy regularly that has a maxus and when he got the gun it had a bent barrel. had to send it back to get fixed then, in the field the gun fired with the shell half way in the barrel.. powder blew out of the chamber. pretty scary, I was in the same boat you were in. but after all that I will not buy a maxus.
ZinkCallin
Newb

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 am

ZinkCallin wrote:I hunt with a guy regularly that has a maxus and when he got the gun it had a bent barrel. had to send it back to get fixed then, in the field the gun fired with the shell half way in the barrel.. powder blew out of the chamber. pretty scary, I was in the same boat you were in. but after all that I will not buy a maxus.

Would you please explain this further? Did it happen while loading or cycling after firing?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby ZinkCallin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 am

brokerbyduck wrote:
ZinkCallin wrote:I hunt with a guy regularly that has a maxus and when he got the gun it had a bent barrel. had to send it back to get fixed then, in the field the gun fired with the shell half way in the barrel.. powder blew out of the chamber. pretty scary, I was in the same boat you were in. but after all that I will not buy a maxus.

Would you please explain this further? Did it happen while loading or cycling after firing?

The gun was cycling, It was his second or third shot, 3 1/2 inch kent steel. it hasn't happened again, and that's the only time ive ever heard of something like that happening.. definitely a major malfunction.
ZinkCallin
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum