SX3 Problem.....Please Help!!!!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SX3 Problem.....Please Help!!!!

Postby remingtonarms38 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey guys so I usually shoot 3'' loads at ducks, but tend to switch to 3 1/2 for geese. The problem I'm having with my sx3 is that sometimes it will not drop the shell/shells out of the mag tube after fireing my first shot. (Note: this only happens with 3 1/2 shells not 3'' or 2 3/4'') My action comes back and resets the trigger and then the action closes again, but the shell doesn't drop out of mag tube. I go to shoot and all I hear is click which is the firing pin. I went to my local gun store who are very knowledgable and they told me it's probably the action spring in my buttstock that is dirty and the bolt isn't coming back quite far enough to collapse feed latch and let the shell drop out of mag tube. So I cleaned my action spring and put everything back together and still having the issue every once in awhile. Have you guys ever rounded off the corner of your feed latch on your guns? I've heard some people tell me it might be the brass on the shell hanging up on the corner of feed latch which is keeping it from collapsing to side of action when bolt comes back. I have never done this with any other gun I have owned or heard of this. If you guys have any input any help would be much appreciated. I'ts a supper nice gun, but frustrating when you go to shoot and only get one shot off due to this issue. Thanks guys
remingtonarms38
hunter

Re: SX3 Problem.....Please Help!!!!

Postby shane019 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

I wouldn't think it would be the spring if it works fine with 3 inch and not 3 1/2" because there is more gas to operate the action out of a 3 1/2".

Have you cleaned your gas ports?

Tried different ammo? I know I had a bad batch of ammo one time that would jam 3 different guns.
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Are you sure your SX3 is a 3 1/2" model?

Hey, stranger things have happened....... :rolleyes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Swamprabbit » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 am

shane019 wrote:I wouldn't think it would be the spring if it works fine with 3 inch and not 3 1/2" because there is more gas to operate the action out of a 3 1/2".

Have you cleaned your gas ports?

Tried different ammo? I know I had a bad batch of ammo one time that would jam 3 different guns.

I 2nd this. I've had this problem happen on occasion usually I've had the problem when shooting shells that are dirty from riding around in dirty blind bags or hunting vest. I'd clean the magazine tube really well it seems to get gritty and not get the next shell pushed into the receiver quick enough. Those longer shells have to travel further in the same amount of time as a 3" shell to load correctly. Might be worth a try.
Swamprabbit
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum