20 gauge

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: 20 gauge

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 am

So does my son lol. Must be raining everywhere today all the guys are here!!! Jehler don't load him any TSS because he will fill every one's limit before your crew can get their guns out of the bag.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada


Re: 20 gauge

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 am

Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: 20 gauge

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:56 am

hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


Coot's got the boat and mine may be ready by then. :thumbsup:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
User avatar
duckslayer74
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Harrisville, UT

Re: 20 gauge

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:56 am

hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

if im invited i could bring some sage to smudge yuchi's 20 with, My mom was a shaman so I'm practically an expert :hi:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: 20 gauge

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

jehler wrote:the only reason i spoke up on this thread at all is because every season i see guys at gander with their kids before duck season looking at shotguns, most have this attitude that they have to get the kid a 12 and the poor little shitkickers stand there trying to swing a mossberg 500 or 870 "youth addition" that still has to much pull. You can bet your ass they are going to develop a flinch when dad buys them the 1450 or better 1 1/4 ounce shotshells. lot of guys lurk here for input and if I can get through to a few of them that a light 20 fitted to their kid with some lighter loads will still kill birds more efficiently than a gun that's to big i get a warm fuzzy inside.


The whole problem with this thread is we were arguing to may different things or not getting our points across in an effective enough manner. I believe all of us agree more then we all realize, we just got caught up in arguing from our narrow perspectives.

I like you Jehler will be starting my kids on the smaller bores and make sure the fit, feel, and recoil are manageable for them. The last thing I want is for my kids to start their shooting careers with guns that don't fit and beat the hell out of them.

I am sure for this reason the 20's will be more effective then the 12. Down the road when they get big enough then the 12's and 10's I have waiting for them will be the most effective gauges for them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: 20 gauge

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 pm

jehler wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

if im invited i could bring some sage to smudge yuchi's 20 with, My mom was a shaman so I'm practically an expert :hi:


Jehler you have an open invite any time. You could even kill off this pack of yotes behind my house!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
User avatar
hamernhonkers
hunter
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 am

Re: 20 gauge

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


Coot's got the boat and mine may be ready by then. :thumbsup:

I could bring mine :wink:
Image
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: 20 gauge

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 pm

jehler wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


Coot's got the boat and mine may be ready by then. :thumbsup:

I could bring mine :wink:
Image


WOW!!!!! That's a cool boat. Anymore pics?
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
User avatar
duckslayer74
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Harrisville, UT

Re: 20 gauge

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
jehler wrote:the only reason i spoke up on this thread at all is because every season i see guys at gander with their kids before duck season looking at shotguns, most have this attitude that they have to get the kid a 12 and the poor little shitkickers stand there trying to swing a mossberg 500 or 870 "youth addition" that still has to much pull. You can bet your ass they are going to develop a flinch when dad buys them the 1450 or better 1 1/4 ounce shotshells. lot of guys lurk here for input and if I can get through to a few of them that a light 20 fitted to their kid with some lighter loads will still kill birds more efficiently than a gun that's to big i get a warm fuzzy inside.


The whole problem with this thread is we were arguing to may different things or not getting our points across in an effective enough manner. I believe all of us agree more then we all realize, we just got caught up in arguing from our narrow perspectives.

I like you Jehler will be starting my kids on the smaller bores and make sure the fit, feel, and recoil are manageable for them. The last thing I want is for my kids to start their shooting careers with guns that don't fit and beat the hell out of them.

I am sure for this reason the 20's will be more effective then the 12. Down the road when they get big enough then the 12's and 10's I have waiting for them will be the most effective gauges for them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

On jrs beretta i had him formally fitted by a guy named Bryan Bilinski when he was 10, it was a little price and i have had to buy two stocks and have it re-fitted a few times as the years have gone buy but seriously, the confidence he has built is truly pricelsss
he has become a hell of a wingshot and developed a strong love for the sport, i don't think it would be as strong without the attention to detail, him loading all his own shells helps too :wink:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: 20 gauge

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:
jehler wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


Coot's got the boat and mine may be ready by then. :thumbsup:

I could bring mine :wink:
Image


WOW!!!!! That's a cool boat. Anymore pics?

are you kiding? i'm an insufferable braggert when it comes to my boat, how many pics you want :lol3:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: 20 gauge

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: 20 gauge

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm

"Jehler's Island" and Launch, ya gotta love it.................. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: 20 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:05 pm

lostknife4 wrote:"Jehler's Island" and Launch, ya gotta love it.................. Lost


Jehler's Ark. :bow:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: 20 gauge

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:06 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:20 gauges are the spawn of Satan!


Yuchi I currently have 6 of them. You want to come to utah and do a 20 gauge only hunt with coot, slayer and I. I will let you use one of mine :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk


Hammer,

That's good as I'm down to four of 'em (20's) however am taking a hard look at the new MII 20 ga. in LH configuration! :thumbsup:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: 20 gauge

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Makes you wonder how the kid with the 20 ga always seems to outshoot the rest of the crew using 12 ga........................... :huh:
User avatar
dakotashooter2
hunter
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: 20 gauge

Postby cootlover » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:41 pm

On sunday I was shooting my 28 gauge for sporting clays and the guys with the 12 gauges didn't shoot any clays farther than my little gun. One target was 45-50 yards depending on the wind dropping shot my 3/4 once loads was killing them no problem so at the end of the day shoot what you want :hi:
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: 20 gauge

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Coot ,

I've done the same with my Browning 30" 28 ga loaded with 8 1/2's , it's a fun gun and it puts you at very little handi-cap
with the 3/4 oz loads on clay targets . What's really fun tho , is stoning Mallards at 35 yds + with Bismuth 4's !

Got'a love it

3200
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: 20 gauge

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Jeher

WOW ! That's one manly beast you got there , by far the best rig this country boy has seen . I'm use to standing out in the rain
and wind . Having a rig like this , does it turn you into a Puss ? You can probably keep it warm with that , Thing , stuck in your
mouth too ?


LOL's 3200
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: 20 gauge

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:21 am

Some of you guys amuse me
You claim the 20 is as effective as a 12 because "it's the Indian, not the arrow".
Then, you claim the small kid with the 20 outshoots his dad and his 12 because his "arrow" is better than his Dad's arrow???
So. Which is it? Are you then claiming that if Dad would shoot a 20, then he'd kill as many ducks as junior? Make up your mind.

Just because 75 pound junior shoots a little 20 better than he shoots a 12 doesn't mean the 20 is a more effective gauge.
Again, that's the shooter's problem, not the gauge's.

In those cases, the smaller 20 may be a more effective gun, for someone who cannot handle a 12, but the 12 is still....and always will be....the more deadly waterfowl gauge.

If the 20 was as efficient at killing birds, you'd see at least as many 20's as 12's on the trap line at the Grand. But you don't. You see zero 20 gauge guns. There is a reason.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: 20 gauge

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:45 am

mudpack wrote:Some of you guys amuse me
You claim the 20 is as effective as a 12 because "it's the Indian, not the arrow".
Then, you claim the small kid with the 20 outshoots his dad and his 12 because his "arrow" is better than his Dad's arrow???
So. Which is it? Are you then claiming that if Dad would shoot a 20, then he'd kill as many ducks as junior? Make up your mind.

Just because 75 pound junior shoots a little 20 better than he shoots a 12 doesn't mean the 20 is a more effective gauge.
Again, that's the shooter's problem, not the gauge's.

In those cases, the smaller 20 may be a more effective gun, for someone who cannot handle a 12, but the 12 is still....and always will be....the more deadly waterfowl gauge.

If the 20 was as efficient at killing birds, you'd see at least as many 20's as 12's on the trap line at the Grand. But you don't. You see zero 20 gauge guns. There is a reason.

Not what was implying mud, I'm saying jr is getting to be a better shot than his dad. I might have said his hevi 20 loads are superior to my 12 steel loads but that's more me trying to make an excuse for him becoming a "better Indian" than it is a gauge to gauge comparison. I do believe however that he has become such a good shot by starting small and light with a gun that fits and loads that don't pound
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: 20 gauge

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:49 am

They don't allow TSS at the Grand do they?
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
User avatar
lostknife4
hunter
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: 20 gauge

Postby 3200 man » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 am

Lost , Great Come Back ! LOL's

3200
3200 man
hunter
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

Re: 20 gauge

Postby pricejunix » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:11 am

I have had several friends write me to ask, "my brother doesn't like the recoil of a 12 gauge. How about a 20 Gauge for home defense?"
Love is a canvas furnished by security gear nature and embroidered by imagination.
Voltaire's
User avatar
pricejunix
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:38 am
Location: 123 street

Re: 20 gauge

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 am

The bots just keep getting more sophisticated.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13731
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: 20 gauge

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 am

The point I tried to make is that most people give the 12 more credit for being better than the 20 than it deserves. Almost all of us have gone through the "bigger is better" phase..........What I have noticed is initially a shooter will do better after transition to a bigger ga, but as time goes on their shooting settles in to about the same success rate they had with the smaller ga. The reason they did better initially wasn't wholely because of the ga increase but because of the increase in confidence. After shooting a while that confidence pump is gone and their shooting averages out again. Thats not to say that the 12 doesn't have an advantage over the 20 but it is not nearly the difference most would believe. Many of us, as we have grown older and gained experince, have learned that the 12 only provides us a miniscule advantage over the 20. The 12 does have the advantage of an increased payload but it is only an advantage if it is evenly distributed. In patterning my own guns I find that while the increased payload of a 12 ga. puts more pellets in a 30" circle often the pellet differential is vastly reduced as you move down to a 20" circle. Thats not always true but appears to be so in my guns........

How many actually document the difference in success rates when they move from one ga to the next or even one payload to the next. Without doing so we often perceive we are doing much better than we actually are. If you are getting one more bird per hunt because you moved up from 3" to 3 1/2" in shells is it because it is performing better or you are taking additional shots you normally wouldn't?

If the 20 was as efficient at killing birds, you'd see at least as many 20's as 12's on the trap line at the Grand. But you don't. You see zero 20 gauge guns. There is a reason
This is a different situation. This is a competition and a single miss is the difference between a win and a loss. But 1 or 2 less birds is not going to break a season.
User avatar
dakotashooter2
hunter
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests