Mossberg 935 Safety sticking?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Mossberg 935 Safety sticking?

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey folks well the 2012 season has been over for a while now and I am allready looking forward to next year but I had some problems with my 935's safety sticking after shots while hunting. I wonder if anyone has had this problem it does'nt do it all the time nothing looks broken or worn out, so I have no clue what this could be I LOVE this shotgun esspecialy with the new Kicks HI Flyer X-Full it absalutley devistated ducks once I got the leading down. I really hope that this was a couple of issolated glitches that are part of the gun doing whatever due to dirt or some icy shells or somethin but previous guns have shown me that a small problem can mean somethin bigger! Thanks for the help guys hope to get some info that may help fix this. :thumbsup:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Re: Mossberg 935 Safety sticking?

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 pm

The safety is a bar at the back of the receiver, if you are flushing the action out, it probably has a ton of dirt and grease/grime under it. Remove the butt stock, remove every thing from the acion and then remove the safety. It is easy to get out. There is 2 screws in the rear of the receiver in recessed holes, take them out, remove the safety bar and claen it thoroughly. Reassemble and your problem should go away.

If not, remove the safety from the top of the receiver, do this on a whit towel, make sure you do not lose the detent ball, spring and shim, clean and lightly oil and reassemble.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Tanks I will give that a shot. You seem to be quite knowlageable about these guns so maybe you might be able to answer another question for me is there any modification that you are aware of that will alow me to run cheaper low brass dove and trap loads? I have and do run Remington Nitro Gold low brass #8's through the gun with little to no problem but it gets kinda expensive but since they work I'm not that bothered about that as much as I have a harder time finding these shells in stock when I'm in a pinch, but can find AA's and the super X shells all day almost anywere. I thought that on another thread a long while back I read that there was some kind of modification that you could make to the gas system that will allow you to still shoot your magnum loads but shoot your light loads for dove and skeet. Any info that you could share would be great! :help:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I replaced the gas spring in the barrel lug with one from a 930, while mine would occasionally cycle 2 3/4 target loads, it was hit or miss. When I replaced the spring, it now cycles them all the time.

I no longer, never really did, shoot any 3 1/2 loads in this gun.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm

but how about magnum 3" and dose this make it basicly an over bored 930? how is the performance when you shoot your duck loads?
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 am

Yes, basically an overbored 930. Mossberg now claims their new 935s actually will shoot all three, who knows what they did.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 am

Probably the same modification you made! :lol3: Were did you get the spring I looked myself stupid last night on line and couldnt find one anywere on line. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the gas spring the yellow spring in the attached portion of the barrel that mounts onto the magazine tube? Is it under alot of pressure when you spin off the nut? or does it just slide in and the nut keeps it under just a bit of tension. Oh yea and you were spot on with the safty having build up holly crap there was alot of build up back there! :eek: It's clean now though I really appreciate all of the help on this boss! :bow:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes, but the spring I used is blue, they make a red one as well, stiffer than the 935 spring to prevent gas from venting as easy. I used one from a bulged barrel I found online, guy let me have it for shipping.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

Do you know of any other place i may try other than the big box websites? i sent mossberg an email and havent heard back.
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Nope, and I don't know if Mossberg will sell you the spring by itself.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:27 pm

That Sux :sad: do ya think if I hit up some of the shotgun forums that someone may have one there they are willing to part with? :huh:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:58 pm

finalflighttx wrote:Tanks I will give that a shot. You seem to be quite knowlageable about these guns so maybe you might be able to answer another question for me is there any modification that you are aware of that will alow me to run cheaper low brass dove and trap loads? I have and do run Remington Nitro Gold low brass #8's through the gun with little to no problem but it gets kinda expensive but since they work I'm not that bothered about that as much as I have a harder time finding these shells in stock when I'm in a pinch, but can find AA's and the super X shells all day almost anywere. I thought that on another thread a long while back I read that there was some kind of modification that you could make to the gas system that will allow you to still shoot your magnum loads but shoot your light loads for dove and skeet. Any info that you could share would be great! :help:

Contact Brownells for a spring. Also my 935 will cycle any 2 3/4" reload going 1550 fps or faster. I kill alot of Lesser Geese with 7/8 okz of B's at 1724 fps per the recipe. My 2 3/4 and 3" reloads are running 100 fps faster in my 935. I think you can buy 2 3/4" steel loads that run over 1550 fps. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 am

Jon Bergren wrote:Contact Brownells for a spring. Also my 935 will cycle any 2 3/4" reload going 1550 fps or faster. I kill alot of Lesser Geese with 7/8 okz of B's at 1724 fps per the recipe. My 2 3/4 and 3" reloads are running 100 fps faster in my 935. I think you can buy 2 3/4" steel loads that run over 1550 fps. Jon

The problem is, he wants to shoot low brass target loads in his 935, not 2 3/4 steel or hot reloads.

I know Fiocchi makes a 2 3/4oz #7 steel target load that is running 1470fps and Nitro 27 and AA Sporting Clays loads are in the 1300+ area, might give these a try.

It may be worth a shot to start hitting the forums, you may get lucky. I will say I have not seen any one post up about another bulged 930 barrel since the first one.

Brownells does not list the 930 or 935 on their sight, at least not in the schematics section.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am

I shot brownells an email we will see what happens
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Also call Mossberg and see if they have a weaker spring. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:38 pm

shot them 3 emails and still nothing not all about the same thing one was about the xfactor turkey choke one was about the weaker spring and one was a question from a friend that didn't have internet access. I would have thought they would have had more forethought for there customers than this love their gun just hate their lack of concern for my question :mad: ......well before I get any madder I will drop it at that.
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 am

finalflighttx wrote:shot them 3 emails and still nothing not all about the same thing one was about the xfactor turkey choke one was about the weaker spring and one was a question from a friend that didn't have internet access. I would have thought they would have had more forethought for there customers than this love their gun just hate their lack of concern for my question :mad: ......well before I get any madder I will drop it at that.

Consider how big their customer base is, email is probably swamped.

I have always had better luck calling, I have never gotten a reponse to an email in less than 2 weeks. You may have to hold a bit, but you will get a live person and they will have an answer or get you an answer fairly quick.

Darryle
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Yea suppose your right i did get a response back from brownells they do not carry parts for the930 and only accesories for the 935.
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum