Stevens 20g Gold Wing?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Stevens 20g Gold Wing?

Postby Bernie P. » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 am

Whats everyone's opinions on these O/U's?I've always wanted a 20g O/U but most are expensive for my needs.It will only be used for upland birds mostly grouse and some rabbit/hare hunting.
Bernie P.
hunter

Re: Stevens 20g Gold Wing?

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:47 am

The Turkish and Russian O/U's are poor quality shotguns, as are the ones made by South Americans. If you can afford to throw away a couple of hundred dollars on guns like these, you can afford to spend a bit more on a good O/U that you will be proud of, doesn't feel like a 2x6 in your hands, and will last several lifetimes.

You'll occasionally hear the cheap guns described as being "good guns for the money".
That's another way of saying "Well, at least they don't cost much."

While some on the forums have not been sorry they bought one, all those with whom I've had personal experience have regretted their purchases. The odds are against you.
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 am

I bought my son a GW in 12 ga but it hasn't really seen enough action to judge it yet. I bought a tri star in 20 ga probably 4-5 years ago. I have used it for upland and waterfowl and so far so good. It doesn't quite fit me right and one barrel shoots lower than I like but the gun is still holding up well. I also like it because it is one of the lightest and streamline 20 ga O/Us I have held. There does seem to be a greater variance in stock drop and cast than in finer guns so try many to see which one fits best.

While mudpack makes a good point it depends on how heavily you will use it. They may not be a gun that would stand up to the rigors of weekly trap shooting or hunting every day of the season but for hunting 15-20 days of the season or even more they are fine.

Most O/U affectianos whould cringe if they saw what I put my O/Us through. Seems like most guys see them as a gun to be pampered (hence a gun you are proud of). Mine get beat up in the blind hence my reluctance to spend money on a "pretty" gun". For me it's easier to take a $200 resale hit on a $600 gun than a $1000-$1200 resale hit on a Berretta with beat up stocks because it got used........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 am

I shoot a 12 gage Condor made in Brazil by an Italian. It hasn't missed a beat. I have used it on dove, pheasant, ducks and geese. I bought it a Gander MT for $180 several years ago. They are about $365 now. I wouuld also recommend a Yildiz sold by the Academy. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 am

dakotashooter2 wrote: For me it's easier to take a $200 resale hit on a $600 gun than a $1000-$1200 resale hit on a Berretta with beat up stocks because it got used........

That's certainly one way to look at it.

I, on the other hand, look at it this way:
I don't buy a gun to resell it, I buy it to use. If I cannot trust the gun to give me reliable service in the field, it is not a viable tool. I'd take the $1000-$1200 resale hit on a gun if I had to, providing I can count on it to not fail at any time.
My hunting is too important to me to trust a cheap gun. YRMV
mudpack
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

My son has a stoeger sxs 16, it is a fairly reliable gun till it gets down in the 20's and then has some failure to fire issues. we bought the gun not expecting great things but instead as a gun for deepwater layout hunting where the chances of losing a gun are quite a real possibility, a lot easier to swallow losing a 300 sxs then the 1000 dollar Beretta with 400 bucks worth of custom fitting. its a good shooter and throws a great pattern.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:52 pm

jehler wrote:we bought the gun not expecting great things but instead as a gun for deepwater layout hunting where the chances of losing a gun are quite a real possibility,

I think that is the right way to look at the "cheap shotgun" issue; not expecting thousand-dollar Beretta characteristics from a $300 O/U (or, in that case, a side-by). If you look at the cheap guns honestly, you probably won't be disappointed when it fails you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm

mudpack wrote:
jehler wrote:we bought the gun not expecting great things but instead as a gun for deepwater layout hunting where the chances of losing a gun are quite a real possibility,

I think that is the right way to look at the "cheap shotgun" issue; not expecting thousand-dollar Beretta characteristics from a $300 O/U (or, in that case, a side-by). If you look at the cheap guns honestly, you probably won't be disappointed when it fails you.

no but it is irritating, when its cold you get light primer strikes, there really isntany lube to stiffen up in a sxs hammer and spring, it seems that the spring steel just isn't sufficient :huh:
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm

jehler wrote:
mudpack wrote:

no but it is irritating, when its cold you get light primer strikes, there really isntany lube to stiffen up in a sxs hammer and spring, it seems that the spring steel just isn't sufficient :huh:

Do you store the shotgun with the hammers cocked?

My Elsies have "V" style hammer springs that will produce light strikes if left cocked for extended periods. $8 worth of snapcaps...problemo solved.

One other thing that may be an issue if the hammer(s) spring steel is of a low grade (temper) and possibly subject to memory issues in cold temps. Wonder if Brownell's may have replacements for them?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 am

jehler wrote: when its cold you get light primer strikes, there really isntany lube to stiffen up in a sxs hammer and spring,

Still, if it were my sxs doing this, I'd take it completely apart...even removing the firing pins....and clean it thoroughly before reassembling it either dry or with the slightest amount of light gun oil and blowing it out with shop air. The manufacturer may have used some lube during manufacturing. In fact, I'd hope they would have!
Can't hurt, and it may turn that gun into a 100% reliable duck killer.
mudpack
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 am

Good idea, the firing pin seemed real loose, but, can't hurt