Anyone Here a "Real" Gunsmith???

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Anyone Here a "Real" Gunsmith???

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 pm

I am having an issue with the National Flood Insurance Program with regards to my shotguns being submerged by the tidal flooding caused by Hurricane Sandy last fall. I had over a dozen guns affected and it is my opinion that these guns are like cars affected by flooding - their value is ZERO on a resale market. Although I did extensive cleaning to these weapons, I cannot in good faith sell these guns without informing the buyer that they were exposed to salt and mud.

Am I right or wrong in regards to the resale value of a gun that has been full submerged by salt water and bay mud?

They are of the opinion that they can be cleaned and reblued. I already told them that I had done extensive cleaning to these guns and they do not need to be reblued. As far as cleaning, they are clean, but residual salt will continue to destroy any value they had. I know guns have a high standard of rating, can anyone tell me what effect on the value this situation has on these guns?
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: Anyone Here a "Real" Gunsmith???

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:40 am

I am no gunsmith but am in the salvage business. The main thing that greatly impacts car values from flooding is damage to electrical systems which is not a factor in guns. In fact flooded vehicles are worth about 40-60% of there pre loss value due to ferrous value, precious metal, export markets and straight/reusable parts.

I am confident your guns do have value but if it was me, I would disclose the situation just for a clear conscience. However don't write them off at $0.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum