semi auto reliability when wet?? gas/inertia!!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

semi auto reliability when wet?? gas/inertia!!

Postby Whiskey_Z » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:36 pm

i'm in the hunt for my first semi auto and have a scenario type question!! Now i know that when it comes down to it, in general, an inertia gun will be more reliable than gas when the gun is dirty. On the other hand both are very reliable with a clean gun!! I mostly duck hunt and my guns are usually clean at the start of the day, but am curious as to how a gas gun will operate if say it happened to get dropped in the mud or water? If water gets in by the piston, will the powder residue turn to a sticky gunk? I figure with an inertia gun, you can wash it out with clean water, blow it out and keep on hunting for the day!!! I would prefer to get a gas gun but i know that at some point during the season my gun will get wet and/or muddy and just want to be sure that i can finish the day hunting without having to tear it apart during the hunt! For instance, last year i used my bps as a wading pole so i didnt take an unexpected swim and it came back a new shade of black mud; i gave it a quick bath in clean water and finshed the day no problem. Would a gas semi auto fair well in this scenario? Any help and/or opinions will be appreciated!!

ps: im pretty partial towards browning/winchester guns and kind of deciding between sx3/maxus or the new a5 depending on if i go with gas or inertia
Whiskey_Z
Newb

Re: semi auto reliability when wet?? gas/inertia!!

Postby Slugo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm

I've owned a ton of autoloaders; Browning, Remington, Benelli, Beretta, etc. I found that the inertia guns could be tortured a little more than their gas counterparts. On the other hand, the gas guns excelled at clay target shooting. Much softer shooting, but then you're lighting off more rounds at skeet, trap and sporting clays. I recently bought a new Franchi Affinity 20 gauge for the field, only 5.5 pounds and so easy to carry. Almost the same gun as the Benelli M2, except the recoil spring is up front, not tucked away in the stock like the M2. For a field gun, I would definitely go inertia...
Support our Troops...
Slugo
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

My X2 and X3 get soaking wet numerous times during the hunting season, they've been reliable and haven't had a problem. I've had my X2 for 10 seasons now. All autos will eventually malfunction, take care of what you buy and have fun.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 pm

no problems with either of my auto guns that are gas. (no gas part related issues anyways.)

But I've never dunked any of the guns I've ever taken hunting... not saying it wont happen, but I really try hard not to put my gun in any situation where it could. always tote to and from the hunting spot in a floating case.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby jpari » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:51 am

The Beretta Xtrema2 is a gas gun and it is no problem being dunked. Go on YouTube and type in Beretta Xtrema2 and you will find a promotional video of the Xtrema2 having a rope tied to it and thrown in a lake, left there for 36 hours pulled out the water dumped out of the barrel loaded up and shot immediately. The gun cycled perfectly. I bought one about four years ago and it has never had a FTF or FTC. However, I clean any gun I shoot after every hunt.
jpari
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:48 am

Hot damn, a chance to brag up my little inertia gun. My marsh blind is loving called "the mudhole" for good reason:

And the dog isn't the only thing dealing with its namesake:

That Benelli 20 is out there every open season morning without seeing much maintenance and is in no danger of losing its spot. Last time it was dunked, the dog flipped it out of the boat into slop so deep and thick that I found it with my knee. Unloaded it, swished it around in the cleaner surface water a bit, checked the barrel and went back to hunting. Though I did take the rare trouble to give it a good cleaning and drying out that evening.

But to what I gather your real question, gas gun reliability when wet: I see a lot of semis through my commercial blinds, and most gas guns are fine in heavy rain. With the 1187 being the only one I can recall rain boogering, and that was a case of unspent powder sticking and apparently acting like sand in the action, rather than a gas related issue. Haven't seen but a very few actually dunked, and don't recall any of those that were hinky afterwards, at least not in the short term.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:16 am

i got soaked in the rain so did my sx3 when i shot water was coming out of the action, so water is no problem for this gun.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Hot damn, a chance to brag up my little inertia gun. My marsh blind is loving called "the mudhole" for good reason:

And the dog isn't the only thing dealing with its namesake:

That Benelli 20 is out there every open season morning without seeing much maintenance and is in no danger of losing its spot. Last time it was dunked, the dog flipped it out of the boat into slop so deep and thick that I found it with my knee. Unloaded it, swished it around in the cleaner surface water a bit, checked the barrel and went back to hunting. Though I did take the rare trouble to give it a good cleaning and drying out that evening.

But to what I gather your real question, gas gun reliability when wet: I see a lot of semis through my commercial blinds, and most gas guns are fine in heavy rain. With the 1187 being the only one I can recall rain boogering, and that was a case of unspent powder sticking and apparently acting like sand in the action, rather than a gas related issue. Haven't seen but a very few actually dunked, and don't recall any of those that were hinky afterwards, at least not in the short term.

You want a little gun with your mud Rick haha?
archerykid13
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

That, and a little dog:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:23 pm

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am

While hunting timber I lean the sbe2 against a tree (in about a foot of water) all year long. When you shoot you will get water all over your face. No hang ups
Park Duck
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Park Duck wrote:While hunting timber I lean the sbe2 against a tree (in about a foot of water) all year long. When you shoot you will get water all over your face. No hang ups

:lol: :lol:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu May 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Doesn't matter. Whether gas or inertia, if an auto is worth it's salt, you can throw it in the drink, come back the next day, pick it up, shove a shell in it, and go to work. I've fished out silvers, x2's, and 390's and kept shooting dozens of times. If the gun won't pass the dunk test, it doesn't pass the hunt test.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby duckslayer74 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:52 pm

cannon wrote:Doesn't matter. Whether gas or inertia, if an auto is worth it's salt, you can throw it in the drink, come back the next day, pick it up, shove a shell in it, and go to work. I've fished out silvers, x2's, and 390's and kept shooting dozens of times. If the gun won't pass the dunk test, it doesn't pass the hunt test.

X2, great post Cannon
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 03, 2013 5:48 am

cannon wrote:I've fished out silvers, x2's, and 390's and kept shooting dozens of times.

Butter fingers.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri May 03, 2013 6:05 am

Rick Hall wrote:
cannon wrote:I've fished out silvers, x2's, and 390's and kept shooting dozens of times.

Butter fingers.

Look who's talkin'.

I've never been known as the not clumsy one. :no:
cannon
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 am

Really was the dog that flipped my gun into the drink. My record's clean with guns, knock wood. But knives...well, that record's been clean, too, since I started tethering the slippery devils with a lanyard to a belt loop.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 am

Rick Hall wrote:Really was the dog that flipped my gun into the drink. My record's clean with guns, knock wood. But knives...well, that record's been clean, too, since I started tethering the slippery devils with a lanyard to a belt loop.

I'm forever knocking one over in the drink. Usually happens when we're done and he gun is laying on the flip top of the tank when some do-good'er pops up the top and sends the gun into the abyss. Our tanks are NEVER dry. I wouldn't know what it was like to hunt in one with less than 6" of water in the bottom of it.

cannon
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 am

Grrr... Want to see Uncle Rick turn prick? Let him find 6" of water in one of our pits that's been hunted regularly.

I may only clean my guns seasonally, but I'm practically OCD about working out of clean, dry pits. Don't mind standing in water when need be, but hate having to keep everyone's gear elevated and worrying about it falling when we've a perfectly sound pit to help avoid it. Also not keen on starting my mornings with a bail in hand. If it's to be or has been "my" blind for any length of time, there's an elevated floor in it that will keep us and our gear above 3 or 4" of rainwater.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Whiskey_Z » Fri May 03, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks again for all the advice!!! Now I only have to worry about fit when I deciding to drop the cash on one. Sounds to me like any auto should survive as long as it is maintained, which is what I was expecting but figured I'd get some outside opinions!! And since we had a few pics of dirty dogs, here is my lab last year bringing back a green wing... He almost looks mad at me!!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
Whiskey_Z
Newb

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 am

Hunting a peanut field for geese with the wind at 20 mph plus will lock up both pumps and autos in a few minutes. Single shots worked with these guns that wouldn't cycle. When the decoys started blowing away, we quit. Raing "aint" the problem. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum