Stoger Condor/ Looking for advice on O/U for Dove and Duck

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Stoger Condor/ Looking for advice on O/U for Dove and Duck

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:43 am

Looking at the Stoger Condor O/U in the 20/12 gauge combo they offer come with a 26 inch 20 gauge barrel and a 28 inch 12 gauge barrel both with interchangeable chokes any info or advice would be great.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Re: Stoger Condor/ Looking for advice on O/U for Dove and Du

Postby MarkM » Wed May 08, 2013 7:55 am

I have shot both 12 & 20, the only thing that bothered me was the LOP.

It was to short for me and I had to readjust the gun on my shoulder every time. Not sure if a shoulder saver would help, but I liked them.

They were brand new when I handled them, so I cannot accurately tell you about wear and tear on them.

I am thinking about getting one though myself, as I did enjoy shooting them. I would get a 20 though, for it to be my upland gun.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:23 am

Found a Combo at a local Gun shop Out the door with case chokes the 12 and 20 barrel tax and a 510.00 so I am thinking about getting it for shooting dove with the 20 and Ducks with the 12
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am

Fowlweather_13 wrote:Found a Combo at a local Gun shop Out the door with case chokes the 12 and 20 barrel tax and a 510.00 so I am thinking about getting it for shooting dove with the 20 and Ducks with the 12

Just check to make sure it fits you. I will have to put something onto the end of the stock to make it shoulder nicely.

Outside of that, I think they are great looking guns and feel great also. I am not sure how it would hold up to several years of hard hunting though. That will have to be seen.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am

Also, be aware that their warranty is only for a year.

Check out (I can't believe I am fixing to say this but...) Mossberg Silver Reserves, it seems people have great luck with their customer service even after warranty runs out. (Free repairs and what not, can't tell you if it is true or not.)

They are great feeling guns, but I don't think they sell them in the combo you are looking for.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks for the warning and info I have been researching and found Stoger has a new Model called the Longfowler. Another question which is better ejectors or extractors in I have also looked at CZ USA
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 am

Ejectors are easier to reload. They pop out, whereas extractors you have to pull them out.

That all really comes down to personal preference.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

I have noticed a fair amount of inconsistencies in their stocks. LOP, drop and cast seem to vary a bit. Sometimes you may have to shoulder a handfull of guns to find one that fits. I find them a bit too "blocky" for my liking so have stayed away from them.

I opted for a TriStar in 20 ga and a Savage 512 in the 12 ga. The TriStars can have fit issues similar to the Stoger but so far mine has been a pretty good gun. The Stevens has not see a lot of rounds yet but seems to be solid. Neither seem to be as blocky as the condor.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 am

Spend a little more and get a used Browning Citori. I'm not saying this because I own one because I dont. I have shot many of them and they handle and shoot very nice. They are a quality gun that has proved to be able to shoot tens of thousands of rounds and retain a good resale value. If I were to buy an O/U, it would be on my short list.
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am

Fowlweather_13 wrote:Looking at the Stoger Condor O/U in the 20/12 gauge combo they offer come with a 26 inch 20 gauge barrel and a 28 inch 12 gauge barrel both with interchangeable chokes any info or advice would be great.

I have had a 12 gage Condor for around 6 yrs and it has been flawless. I have killed dove, pheasant, ducks and geese with it. The Yildiz sold by Academy is also an excellent O/U. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby shane071489 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I love my 12 ga never had any problems shot great I kill more doves with less shells every time vs my beretta urika. It's not a thousand dollar beretta but for the price it's well worth the money. Wish I would of gotten a 20.
shane071489
hunter

Postby crica » Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 pm

I have shot with a Beretta 686 20gauge for the best part of 20 years here in Britain , and in that time have used it for rough shooting( which is about the same as your upland shooting) , wood pigeon , duck and driven pheasant and its performed faultlessly throughout , its light , easy handling and reliable. The newer models with 3 inch chambers would be even more versatile I guess but the recoil may be a problem with heavier loads , I prefer the winchester ranger 7/8 oz but cant get them here anymore .I would save up for a new one or find a used one , with anything like good maintanance a used one should be a sound buy .
crica
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu May 09, 2013 6:12 am

kjm1022 wrote:Spend a little more and get a used Browning Citori.

That's the best advice so far.

The best thing you can say about the Condor/Silver Reserve/Yildiz is that at least they don't cost very much.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 am

Mudpack has never owned or shot the guns he is criticizing. Typical. Cost of a gun has nothing to do with performance. Benelli and Beretta have proven this. My friends Benellit ended up in three bolt pieces on the ground after firing at his first goose. Also another friends Berreta said his barrel was not shooting at POA but 18" to the left at 50 yds. After sending it back to the factory and they telling him nothing was wrong with the barrel, he finally had a local machinist put it right on POA by bending it. After 9 yrs it is still there. My Condor works just fine and I paid $180 for it on sale about 6 yrs ago. Also my $300 Estate auto made in Turkey has worked just fine and is my pet gun. I shoot alot of 1700+ fps loads in these guns getting excellent patterns at that speed. A lot of the expensive guns will not give good patterns with this speed. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 am

Jon Bergren wrote:Mudpack has never owned or shot the guns he is criticizing. Typical. Cost of a gun has nothing to do with performance. Benelli and Beretta have proven this. My friends Benellit ended up in three bolt pieces on the ground after firing at his first goose. Also another friends Berreta said his barrel was not shooting at POA but 18" to the left at 50 yds. After sending it back to the factory and they telling him nothing was wrong with the barrel, he finally had a local machinist put it right on POA by bending it. After 9 yrs it is still there. My Condor works just fine and I paid $180 for it on sale about 6 yrs ago. Also my $300 Estate auto made in Turkey has worked just fine and is my pet gun. I shoot alot of 1700+ fps loads in these guns getting excellent patterns at that speed. A lot of the expensive guns will not give good patterns with this speed. Jon

Jon you sure do seem to know a lot about everything... I am glad to know that you know the gun everyone here on the forums has shot, that is very useful information.

I don’t know about you, but if I had a choice between a new Browning or a new Stoeger, I would choose the Browning 11 times out of 10. I have seen both guns mess up and have problems, but the quality control with a Browning far surpasses the Stoeger quality control. You generally get what you pay for, but if you get a good off-brand gun, then you have one that almost matches the quality of a higher-end firearm.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 pm

I've got a condor supreme in the AAA grade. Probably a mistake on the nice wood, but it has functioned flawlessly. I've enjoyed using it for two seasons now and then a pile of skeet in between and couldn't be happier with a cheap double. I'll admit that its my first double gun and I've always had a metality that I can make myself fit nearly any gun. I'm sure it won't be long before I get a talkin to about gun fitment and all that but I shoot it straight and kill just fine with it. To use it as a duck gun has been a back and forth thing for me-I like using it and it makes me feel more calculated when I shoot because I know i have one less shot than a pump or semi, but then I don't want to drag it through the mud since its blued and all that. More clean up after a hunt. If I had it to do again, I might go with the tri star double in camo with 3 1/2in chambers and ejectors, but only because mine isn't camo and only has the 3in chambers. Which ever way you go, happy shooting.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu May 09, 2013 4:27 pm

MarkM wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:Mudpack has never owned or shot the guns he is criticizing. Typical. Cost of a gun has nothing to do with performance. Benelli and Beretta have proven this. My friends Benellit ended up in three bolt pieces on the ground after firing at his first goose. Also another friends Berreta said his barrel was not shooting at POA but 18" to the left at 50 yds. After sending it back to the factory and they telling him nothing was wrong with the barrel, he finally had a local machinist put it right on POA by bending it. After 9 yrs it is still there. My Condor works just fine and I paid $180 for it on sale about 6 yrs ago. Also my $300 Estate auto made in Turkey has worked just fine and is my pet gun. I shoot alot of 1700+ fps loads in these guns getting excellent patterns at that speed. A lot of the expensive guns will not give good patterns with this speed. Jon

Jon you sure do seem to know a lot about everything... I am glad to know that you know the gun everyone here on the forums has shot, that is very useful information.

I don’t know about you, but if I had a choice between a new Browning or a new Stoeger, I would choose the Browning 11 times out of 10. I have seen both guns mess up and have problems, but the quality control with a Browning far surpasses the Stoeger quality control. You generally get what you pay for, but if you get a good off-brand gun, then you have one that almost matches the quality of a higher-end firearm.

The Condor is made in Brazil by an Italian. I cannot verify the quality of other Stoegers as I know no one that shoots one. My Pastor Son shoots a Citori occasionally and he has problems with it. No problems with the Condor. I was turned lose with a 410 when I was 7 yrs old and when I was 11 I was shooting with the members of my Dads Hunting Club using a S x S double 20. I still have these guns and they are in excellent shape. This was in the fall of 1940. I went to duck camp starting when I was 3 yrs. It was like a tented deer camp sleeping on straw with feather ticking. I am 84 now and can't help the way I am regarding waterfowling. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu May 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:
MarkM wrote:

The Condor is made in Brazil by an Italian. I cannot verify the quality of other Stoegers as I know no one that shoots one. My Pastor Son shoots a Citori occasionally and he has problems with it. No problems with the Condor. I was turned lose with a 410 when I was 7 yrs old and when I was 11 I was shooting with the members of my Dads Hunting Club using a S x S double 20. I still have these guns and they are in excellent shape. This was in the fall of 1940. I went to duck camp starting when I was 3 yrs. It was like a tented deer camp sleeping on straw with feather ticking. I am 84 now and can't help the way I am regarding waterfowling. Jon

I know quite a few folks who shoot Stoeger guns. Doubles, pumps and semiautomatics. The reliability of a Stoeger does not compare to the reliability of a higher-end gun. I've seen two of the exact same Stoegers, bought 5 minutes apart. One runs perfectly, whereas the other has had constant problems. It is the quality control issue that they have. All of the "lower end" gun manufacturers have those problems it seems, but if you can get a fine working gun, then you have the equivilance of a "higher end" gun for a much cheaper price.

Personally, I happen to believe the warranty speaks for itself. All of the "lower end" doubles offer a 1 year warranty. I believe there is a reason for that.

The "higher end" doubles offer 3 & 5 year warranties because it seems like they feel their products won't have any issues during that time.

Between any of the guns listed, I would go for a Yildiz double first, simply because all of the ones I have seen, they shoulder extremely well for me.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I actually bought two this year, the standard condor 12g and 28 inch barrel, shoots great, and feels great in the hands. I recently bought there newer model. The Stoeger condor Longfowler, *Differences, 30 inch barrel, matte finish walnut, Black water/rustproof coating on barrel and reciever. Also a 12g.... i know alot of ppl havent had good experiances with stoegers, but i have purchased two Gems for the price. Id reccomend it to anyone looking for a budgetd O/U. But BUY IT NEW, NEVER OPENED. Then register it with stoeger to validate your warranty. *Just in case

- bought the condor for trap

- Longfowler for trap and duck/goose
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 am

I have been looking at the Condor Sepreme Combo that come with 20 and 12 gauge and it is the only model with ejectors wich I think I will prefer and I am getting 2 guns for under 700.00 dollars which on my Teacher salary is a very big plus. I m also looking at a CZ-USA Mallard, a Legacy, Rem Spartan, and TriStar but I keep coming back to the 12/20 Combo do any of you know about any more O/U 12/20 Combos on the market under 1000.00 that have ejectors.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 am

DuckManClyde wrote:I actually bought two this year, the standard condor 12g and 28 inch barrel, shoots great, and feels great in the hands. I recently bought there newer model. The Stoeger condor Longfowler, *Differences, 30 inch barrel, matte finish walnut, Black water/rustproof coating on barrel and reciever. Also a 12g.... i know alot of ppl havent had good experiances with stoegers, but i have purchased two Gems for the price. Id reccomend it to anyone looking for a budgetd O/U. But BUY IT NEW, NEVER OPENED. Then register it with stoeger to validate your warranty. *Just in case

- bought the condor for trap

- Longfowler for trap and duck/goose

I have been looking at the Longfowler and it has looked appealing to me I am wanting to Duck Hunt with the one i purchase do yo think the 30 inch barrels make a difference and does it have ejectors.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 am

Jon Bergren wrote: Cost of a gun has nothing to do with performance.

You haven't learned a whole lot in 84 years, have you Ned.

Performance is determined by quality.
Cost of a gun is the primary indicator of quality.
You cannot separate cost and performance, in guns, in cars, in aircraft, in pencil sharpeners.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 am

mudpack wrote:

Performance is determined by quality.
Cost of a gun is the primary indicator of quality.
You cannot separate cost and performance, in guns, in cars, in aircraft, in pencil sharpeners.

Another personal attack without proof of what you are saying. My inexpensive 20 gage Crescent Davis SxS Cost $1.50 in 1939 and never had a malfunction and still works. I paid $75 for my 870 and never had a malfunction and still works. Same for all my guns. It's called personal care of my guns. Also I drove a Model A for 4 yrs in high school and college. It would go 60 mph wide open and I paid $50 for it. Again personal care kept it going. You could pull 3 of the spark plug wires and it would still run on one cylinder. Your posts are still subjective BS without any proof. How about all the POI problems with the Berretas, etc. You haven't owned and shot an Excell or Condor shotgun but yet you are an expert on them. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat May 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:
mudpack wrote:

Another personal attack without proof of what you are saying... Your posts are still subjective BS without any proof.Jon

:lol3:
Ned, your first statement is proof.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Mudpack, tell us your experience owning a Condor. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Jon Bergren
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum