decent duck gun what to buy

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

decent duck gun what to buy

Postby wwardd45 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:27 pm

hey guys I am a newbie on here and i have a quick ? i have a 1986 wingmaster that is in oustanding shape .
looking to get a second duck gun i am afraid of my 870 rusting etc. any suggestions on a reasonbly priced gun don't mind buying used or any tips on protecting my 870. thanks guys
wwardd45
Newb

Re: decent duck gun what to buy

Postby cONG » Sun May 12, 2013 9:55 pm

That would make the best duck gun. What do u have to lose? use what u got, no need to spend money. It not like u have to abuse it. keep it in a case when waking in and clean it when u get home
cONG
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 am

Just keep it out of the water and if it does get wet then clean it really well. That gun would be an excellent duck gun!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby wwardd45 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am

thanks guys i had a wingmaster i used as a kid i love the gun was just concerned about salt water
wwardd45
Newb

Postby kenner » Mon May 13, 2013 10:57 am

I have a pretty Wingmaster and was taking it to the swamps... I wanted something less shiny, but couldn't find the removable camo paint. So, I bought a Rem Express and camo painted it. The barrel's 28", compared to the 30" barrel on my nice gun, so it swings a little differently, but I'm finally getting adjusted and I'm shooting 23 of 25 on the wobble trap (birds going in all directions), with a full choke and my gun unmounted (hunting position).

The guys at the shooting club laugh and say it looks like I drug my gun down a gravel road... You should see the high dollar guns they shoot!... And I shoot just as well ;-)

And yes, I've fallen face first, with gun, into the muck and water.... Came home, hosed it off and did some more fine cleaning.

So,, go with what you know. A Rem pump won't fail you. Just get an ugly one that you won't care about and use it. Don't assume that it'll shoot the same; go practice.... And have fun!
kenner
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Mon May 13, 2013 4:02 pm

i've got a wingmaster as my primary duck gun. salt hunting is pretty hard on that pretty blue finish. mine's pitted really badly from a few years of salt marsh hunting. the gun still functions just fine but it isn't pretty any more. i'm planning on getting it cerakoted before the next season, supposedly that stuff holds up to salt really well and still looks good.

you might think of getting a beater gun for salt hunting, like a maverick 88 if you're attached to your remington.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm

If you are hunting salt, buy a gun you don't mind getting hammered throughout the season. Keep your wingmaster for upland birds and a safe princess.

There are many pump guns you could choose that will do the job and many auto's as well. Your budget will dictate what the "best" gun is for you.

I can tell you from experience that Browning, Winchester, Berretta and Benelli all offer fine autos. Winchester being the cheapest.

Don't take your wingmaster out to the salt unless you are comfortable with the finish and stock getting destroyed over the next few years.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Mon May 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Nothing wrong with a Rem 870. :fingerpt: That was my first duck gun that my Dad bought me way back in 1969, I still have it. :smile: :smile: :smile:.. Go to the Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum and click on $700 Gun $15 Camo Job.
rg732122...huntnut...and cannon did a great job of reworking there waterfowling guns.
Remember this is a "Working Gun" not a show piece. Ducks and Geese dont know what kind of gun you :hammer: them with
War Wagon
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon May 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Get another 870 and abuse it with a clear concious.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby kenner » Mon May 13, 2013 10:48 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Get another 870 and abuse it with a clear concious.

Ditto!!

(p.s.... that's what guns are for,, for usin'!)

Get an ugly one and use it, love it, and use it some more!...HAHAHA!! Just go shoot.... "Don't worry; Be happy"!! :-)
Last edited by kenner on Tue May 14, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenner
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 am

My recommendation would be......a Stoeger Condor.

In black.

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:25 am

mudpack wrote:My recommendation would be......a Stoeger Condor.

In black.

WARNING!!!

This guy is a Stoeger Pro Staffer and closet black gun advocate! :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am

I would buy a single shot h@r. That would take forever to limit out
cONG
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:14 pm

I just bought a Wingmaster Magnum. carry a rag with gun oil on it in a ziplock baggie wipe it off between flight and before you put it in the case for the walk out. You'll be fine with it
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm

I think you should look for another Wingmaster that's dinged up or an Express.
I can relate to not wanting to tear up something you took care of all these years.
Duck hunting is very hard on a shotgun at times.
Think of your waterfowl piece like it's a hammer. How many nice shiny hammers do you see hanging on carpenters belts? Look close at the handles etc.
Get the point?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Cary » Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 pm

I use Break Free CLP on all my guns to prevent rust. Each time my guns get cleaned I give them a good coat of the CLP and then wipe the excess off with a rag. Break Free CLP does a decent job of preventing rust if you keep using it on all metal surfaces of the gun.
Cary
Cary
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm

mudpack wrote:My recommendation would be......a Stoeger Condor.

In black.

Mud, finally coming to your senses I see. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm

I have seen the light!

:lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:48 am

Buy a pump with an aluminum receiver and synthetic stock. Mossberg 500 comes to mind but there are others.
z51
hunter

Postby drahthaar » Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 pm

z51 wrote:Buy a pump with an aluminum receiver and synthetic stock. Mossberg 500 comes to mind but there are others.

Ditto.

$350 new on gunbroker.
drahthaar
hunter

Postby kenner » Sat May 18, 2013 4:55 pm

My Mossy was so light, and it kicked my cheek bone so hard,, I developed some serious flinchies. It could be that my stock was too short,, but man, it hurt to shoot that gun,, so I went back to my Remy. I got an Express for $240. You could probably find one much cheaper.
kenner
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:23 pm

kenner wrote:My Mossy was so light, and it kicked my cheek bone so hard,, I developed some serious flinchies. It could be that my stock was too short,, but man, it hurt to shoot that gun,, so I went back to my Remy. I got an Express for $240. You could probably find one much cheaper.

aww poor baby..... :wink: :biggrin:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:31 pm

z51 wrote:Buy a pump with an aluminum receiver and synthetic stock. Mossberg 500 comes to mind but there are others.

I've got no beef against Mossbergs but switching up between two pumps with different safety switch locations can be a problem with a lot of people. I bought a BPS to be my back-up / beater / loaner gun and a couple times a season I'll swing on a surprise flock of teal and forget that it has a thumb safety. :mad:
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum