Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Jplatinum » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I've been researching auto loaders looking for my first shotgun for hunting. I've tried these and they all feel great. I've listed the pros and con for each that ive found researching but I'm also looking for some opinions based on personal experience. Also in almost all treads all the models listed have been claimed to be either amazing or total pos so I'm trying to get some straight facts.

Sx3 - medium kicking, might be best quality gas system, classic design.

Vinci - kicks very hard, clean running system, reliable with power rounds, may not cycle light rounds, highest quality because its a benelli.

A400 line - most popular, runs somewhat dirty, cycles all ammo, rubber recoil attachment on stocks fall apart with lots of use, 2nd highest quality build.

SBE2 - better quality than Vinci, tough as nails, kicks less than a Vinci but harder than other brands, reliable with power rounds, may not cycle light rounds, highest quality because its a benelli.

Maxus- easy to clean, easy to break down, new model that's not proven, cheaply engineered design, reliably cycles all ammo.


What im leaning towards is a gas system a400 vs. sx3 - it's very close between the sx3 and a400 with a slight nod to the sx3 due to the better sx3 stock. Is this right or is there something I'm missing?
Last edited by Jplatinum on Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jplatinum
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm


Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Plus the Winchester is $500 cheaper. I own or have shot all of those guns minus the Maxus. I'd go sx3. It has all of the same capabilities, and costs less. Win win.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8598
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Jplatinum » Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think that's where I'm headed.
Jplatinum
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby MNkid7 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm

If you aren't looking to shoot 3 1/2 shells I would take a look at the M2.
User avatar
MNkid7
hunter
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: ND

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby clampdaddy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Maxus is cheaply engineered and designed? :huh: I don't know about all that. If anything the SX3 was cheaper to design because its its damn near the same gun as a SX2 or a Browning Silver.

I currently shoot a SBE2 but I wouldn't say that it is a higher "quality" gun than my Maxus was. There are some features that are nice on my benelli, like a chrome lined bore and stainless recoil spring assembly but there were things I liked about my Browning too. The camo finish was much better, the trigger pull was way better, it patterned steel shot better, and I never had to worry about the bolt coming out of battery if I set it down a little to hard. It did munch the original piston spring though.

All the guns you listed are great. Throw the Browning Silver into the line-up and pick the one you like best.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Jplatinum » Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 am

clampdaddy wrote:Maxus is cheaply engineered and designed? :huh: I don't know about all that. If anything the SX3 was cheaper to design because its its damn near the same gun as a SX2 or a Browning Silver.

I currently shoot a SBE2 but I wouldn't say that it is a higher "quality" gun than my Maxus was. There are some features that are nice on my benelli, like a chrome lined bore and stainless recoil spring assembly but there were things I liked about my Browning too. The camo finish was much better, the trigger pull was way better, it patterned steel shot better, and I never had to worry about the bolt coming out of battery if I set it down a little to hard. It did munch the original piston spring though.

All the guns you listed are great. Throw the Browning Silver into the line-up and pick the one you like best.





I checked out the Silver...... Wow that's a beautiful gun. The Silver seems to have a proven action and is a high quality build. For the Maxus being poorly engineered I really don't know but I've read some comment of the sort on several threads and wanted to get some personal experiences. I like the maxus because of its easy take down and new features but you know that for most gun owners one of the worst feelings is that first failure unless the gun has a good reason like it's thousands of rounds without a cleaning or sand / dirt in the action. Thanks for your input Clampdaddy. Any other suggestions let me know.
Jplatinum
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby kbooger » Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 am

IMO if you like beretta or browning you won't like the feel of benelli and vice versa. Have you shouldered each gun?
User avatar
kbooger
hunter
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 pm
Location: metro MN

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby winchester1852 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:48 am

kbooger wrote:IMO if you like beretta or browning you won't like the feel of benelli and vice versa. Have you shouldered each gun?



thats odd i like the feel of brownings and benellis. never mind you know what your talking about..............
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby winchester1852 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 am

Jplatinum wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Maxus is cheaply engineered and designed? :huh: I don't know about all that. If anything the SX3 was cheaper to design because its its damn near the same gun as a SX2 or a Browning Silver.

I currently shoot a SBE2 but I wouldn't say that it is a higher "quality" gun than my Maxus was. There are some features that are nice on my benelli, like a chrome lined bore and stainless recoil spring assembly but there were things I liked about my Browning too. The camo finish was much better, the trigger pull was way better, it patterned steel shot better, and I never had to worry about the bolt coming out of battery if I set it down a little to hard. It did munch the original piston spring though.

All the guns you listed are great. Throw the Browning Silver into the line-up and pick the one you like best.





I checked out the Silver...... Wow that's a beautiful gun. The Silver seems to have a proven action and is a high quality build. For the Maxus being poorly engineered I really don't know but I've read some comment of the sort on several threads and wanted to get some personal experiences. I like the maxus because of its easy take down and new features but you know that for most gun owners one of the worst feelings is that first failure unless the gun has a good reason like it's thousands of rounds without a cleaning or sand / dirt in the action. Thanks for your input Clampdaddy. Any other suggestions let me know.







all guns your looking at are going to be very easy to take apart, they are made to be that way.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Jplatinum » Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
Jplatinum wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Maxus is cheaply engineered and designed? :huh: I don't know about all that. If anything the SX3 was cheaper to design because its its damn near the same gun as a SX2 or a Browning Silver.

I currently shoot a SBE2 but I wouldn't say that it is a higher "quality" gun than my Maxus was. There are some features that are nice on my benelli, like a chrome lined bore and stainless recoil spring assembly but there were things I liked about my Browning too. The camo finish was much better, the trigger pull was way better, it patterned steel shot better, and I never had to worry about the bolt coming out of battery if I set it down a little to hard. It did munch the original piston spring though.

All the guns you listed are great. Throw the Browning Silver into the line-up and pick the one you like best.





I checked out the Silver...... Wow that's a beautiful gun. The Silver seems to have a proven action and is a high quality build. For the Maxus being poorly engineered I really don't know but I've read some comment of the sort on several threads and wanted to get some personal experiences. I like the maxus because of its easy take down and new features but you know that for most gun owners one of the worst feelings is that first failure unless the gun has a good reason like it's thousands of rounds without a cleaning or sand / dirt in the action. Thanks for your input Clampdaddy. Any other suggestions let me know.







all guns your looking at are going to be very easy to take apart, they are made to be that way.



They all really felt good, the benelli probably felt a little better. They are all easy to take down but I prefer the Maxus style without the magazine cap.
Jplatinum
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Ga ducker » Tue May 14, 2013 12:26 pm

I vote the A400! About to have one of my own, but I picked it cause it just fits me so well.
Ga ducker
hunter
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby winchester1852 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 pm

a400 only if your not capable of shooting a normal 12ga shotgun or you could get a earlier model from beretta.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby sn8ketr » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Jplatinum wrote:I've been researching auto loaders looking for my first shotgun for hunting. I've tried these and they all feel great. I've listed the pros and con for each that ive found researching but I'm also looking for some opinions based on personal experience. Also in almost all treads all the models listed have been claimed to be either amazing or total pos so I'm trying to get some straight facts.

Sx3 - medium kicking, might be best quality gas system, classic design.

Vinci - kicks very hard, clean running system, reliable with power rounds, may not cycle light rounds, highest quality because its a benelli.

A400 line - most popular, runs somewhat dirty, cycles all ammo, rubber recoil attachment on stocks fall apart with lots of use, 2nd highest quality build.

SBE2 - better quality than Vinci, tough as nails, kicks less than a Vinci but harder than other brands, reliable with power rounds, may not cycle light rounds, highest quality because its a benelli.

Maxus- easy to clean, easy to break down, new model that's not proven, cheaply engineered design, reliably cycles all ammo.


What im leaning towards is a gas system a400 vs. sx3 - it's very close between the sx3 and a400 with a slight nod to the sx3 due to the better sx3 stock. Is this right or is there something I'm missing?


I have all of the ones you listed except Maxus.

1. I have the SX3 and love the gun. Low recoil and has the profile of my older shotguns which made it an easy transition.
2. I have the Supervinci and mine does not kick very hard. The recoil is less than my SBE2. It also shoulders better than the SBE2 . You just have to get past the looks of the gun.
3. A400 is my favorite. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say it is "somewhat dirty". That would have more to do with the shells than the gun.I have used this gun for the past two seasons and put hundreds of rounds through it in many different environments. Many friends have it and none have had the rubber recoil attachment fall apart.
4. love the feel of the SBE2 but it is my least favorite of all my shotguns. kicks like a young mule and I just do not shoot well with it.
5. Do not have the Maxus but the SX3 and Maxus are very similar.

All are fine shotguns and it just depends on your personal preference.
sn8ketr
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Central Louisiana

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby brokerbyduck » Thu May 16, 2013 11:10 pm

You need to buy what feels good to you and your budget. For the average shotgunner (I am average), any of the guns you mentioned will do the job. I've shot all but the Vinci and they all kill ducks.

I have a maxus and am real happy with it overall, it is an excellent gun and has performed well in the field. From time to time on the skeet range it will fail to feed correctly but it's fairly rare. I can live with that, maybe you can't? Never had an issue with duck loads.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the A400. I've shot a few rounds of skeet with one and shot tons of rounds with guys using them. I really like the way they shoulder and I'll probably pick one up sometime in the future. I've yet to see one fail to operate correctly in the field or at the range.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
User avatar
brokerbyduck
State Moderator
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Behind the gun in Richland

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Dr Drewski » Fri May 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Another vote for the A400. Got it back in August before the 12-13 season and it worked everywhere.. Peanut fields, frozen peanut fields while snowing, rain, etc., no problem. For me it was between the A400 and the SBE2. I wanted the best shotgun possible and also knew of the SBE2's workhorse like reputation in the field. What pushed me toward the A400 was the idea of something that would maybe one-up the SBE2, and while it may not "out-perform" it, I definitely enjoy shooting it more. The A400 shouldered best for me, I loved the way it pointed and don't mind the extra weight. I can shoot clays all day without any complaints of pain. It has cycled everything I've thrown at it, anything from target loads to 3.5" BB heavy metals. I also put it through a couple snow goose hunts as well and it was a pleasure to shoot, no pain the next day. As for the end stock I have no idea what you're talking about. My guns definitely get hunted hard and I noticed none of that with the A400. The A400 is definitely a beast of a gun and is developing an excellent reputation as a waterfowling shotgun. Your recovery time between your 1st and 2nd shot is drastically less with the A400 vs the SBE2 as well!

My previous shotgun was the Benelli M2 and its really the same as the SBE2 minus the 3.5" capabilities... Raw, rugged, bare essentials, and gets the job done. The A400 is that plus the luxury of minimal recoil which you will really enjoy shooting and keep you shooting in the field or at the range longer. You're just not gonna cringe every time you pull the trigger, only to get punched in the shoulder.

The one thing that frustrated me with the A400 was that when I purchased it as early on as I did there weren't any aftermarket chokes available because of its new optima go barrel.. Took a good while, but I finally got a pattern master code black duck and love it.

My buddies dad bought an SBE2 during season, and between accidentally shooting it off the right bicep and the trigger guard chewing at his index finger he traded for the A400 and hasn't looked back.

Like previously stated I encourage you to go and shoulder both, a couple different times. Feel them, go home and sleep on it, and go again. It's about what fits you best, not me or anyone else.
User avatar
Dr Drewski
hunter
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby winchester1852 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Dr Drewski wrote:Another vote for the A400. Got it back in August before the 12-13 season and it worked everywhere.. Peanut fields, frozen peanut fields while snowing, rain, etc., no problem. For me it was between the A400 and the SBE2. I wanted the best shotgun possible and also knew of the SBE2's workhorse like reputation in the field. What pushed me toward the A400 was the idea of something that would maybe one-up the SBE2, and while it may not "out-perform" it, I definitely enjoy shooting it more. The A400 shouldered best for me, I loved the way it pointed and don't mind the extra weight. I can shoot clays all day without any complaints of pain. It has cycled everything I've thrown at it, anything from target loads to 3.5" BB heavy metals. I also put it through a couple snow goose hunts as well and it was a pleasure to shoot, no pain the next day. As for the end stock I have no idea what you're talking about. My guns definitely get hunted hard and I noticed none of that with the A400. The A400 is definitely a beast of a gun and is developing an excellent reputation as a waterfowling shotgun. Your recovery time between your 1st and 2nd shot is drastically less with the A400 vs the SBE2 as well!

My previous shotgun was the Benelli M2 and its really the same as the SBE2 minus the 3.5" capabilities... Raw, rugged, bare essentials, and gets the job done. The A400 is that plus the luxury of minimal recoil which you will really enjoy shooting and keep you shooting in the field or at the range longer. You're just not gonna cringe every time you pull the trigger, only to get punched in the shoulder.

The one thing that frustrated me with the A400 was that when I purchased it as early on as I did there weren't any aftermarket chokes available because of its new optima go barrel.. Took a good while, but I finally got a pattern master code black duck and love it.

My buddies dad bought an SBE2 during season, and between accidentally shooting it off the right bicep and the trigger guard chewing at his index finger he traded for the A400 and hasn't looked back.

Like previously stated I encourage you to go and shoulder both, a couple different times. Feel them, go home and sleep on it, and go again. It's about what fits you best, not me or anyone else.





why did you get the a400 when you had the m2 ?
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby z51 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 am

The SX 3 is the best overall value and a great.gun if it fits you. The Silver is the same gun by the same Company with different dimensions if it fits you buy it. It has a proven gas system and is very soft shooting as is the SX 3.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Dr Drewski » Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 am

Winchester, I had it for about 5 years and was looking for something that could handle 3.5" shells. I went in leaning toward the SBE2, it just didn't shoulder well for me.
User avatar
Dr Drewski
hunter
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby winchester1852 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:36 am

Dr Drewski wrote:Winchester, I had it for about 5 years and was looking for something that could handle 3.5" shells. I went in leaning toward the SBE2, it just didn't shoulder well for me.



ok just asking.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby Jplatinum » Sat May 18, 2013 8:26 pm

A lot of positive reviews for the A400. I really like their recoil dampening system and I guess no one has experienced the ftf / fte with it under normal circumstances.
Jplatinum
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby SAHunter1983 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 pm

No failures on my A400 yet but I have noticed that my model does have the bolt hole issue and the firing pin is bending (this is what I get for shooting case after case after case of trash ammo) Still is running flawlessly but I went ahead and placed an order for a new firing pin, spring and O-ring... $20 total... As for saying this gun is dirty that is a big load of BS. I have cleaned this gun 4 times... It never needs it I just do it out of habit.

Sent from my etcha-sketch brick phone.
User avatar
SAHunter1983
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Sx3 vs. A400 vs. Maxus vs. SBE2 vs. Vinci

Postby BSODduckhunter15 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Go with SBE2. Inertia Driven System is high quality with low maintenance, and will cycle as fast as you can pull the trigger. Reliably cycles turkey, duck, goose, dove, and any other shell you want it to. 3 1/2 inch, turkey, or HV loads are where you see kick, but comfortech helps this issue greatly. I know they're expensive, but worth every penny. Buy the SBE2, you won't be disappointed.
BSODduckhunter15
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Hey Dr. Drew question

Postby Dirty Doug » Tue May 21, 2013 6:23 pm

I have 2 xtreme 400 s and saw you like a different choke tube....what was wrong with the ones Beretta has with your gun. Not trying to be a smart ass but I patterned both of my guns and see no possible way an after market tube could be any better :huh: I am interested in what you say... As far as for who started this post.....go handle as many of your choices as possible and buy the one that feels right.....just as Dr Drew said.......all are good but I love the recoil on mine and Berettas just feel like home to me :thumbsup:
Dirty Doug
hunter
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 5:09 pm


Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests