SX3 with slugs?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SX3 with slugs?

Postby nnorem7618 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Just sold my 30-06, and now I'm looking at picking up an SX3.

Does anyone have any experience shooting slugs through an SX3, or know how it would work? Or WOULD it work (well)? I assume they would work fine, but just want some reassurance.

Thanks
nnorem7618
hunter

Re: SX3 with slugs?

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 pm

nnorem7618 wrote:Just sold my 30-06, and now I'm looking at picking up an SX3.

Does anyone have any experience shooting slugs through an SX3, or know how it would work? Or WOULD it work (well)? I assume they would work fine, but just want some reassurance.

Thanks

I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I'm about 98% sure that the owners manual for my Browning Silver (which uses the exact same barrel as the SX3) said that due to the oversized bore diameter, slugs were not to be used in the standard barrel. Slug barrels are available.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:44 am

It won't hurt to try. The barrel is overbored .742 I believe. Try with your modified choke and Remington rifled slugs.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:46 am

For curiositys sake I did a quick check, and they do offer an invector plus rifled choke tube so it must be perfectly fine to use them.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby nnorem7618 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Alright; good to know. Could you send me the link to the chokes?

Thanks a lot
nnorem7618
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:20 pm

you can find them at cabelas.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:For curiositys sake I did a quick check, and they do offer an invector plus rifled choke tube so it must be perfectly fine to use them.

You don't normally use a rifled choke tube for rifled slugs they are for sabots and they don't work well. I would try the modified choke with Remington rifled slugs first. Rifled choke tubes are pretty much worthless.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

z51 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:For curiositys sake I did a quick check, and they do offer an invector plus rifled choke tube so it must be perfectly fine to use them.

You don't normally use a rifled choke tube for rifled slugs they are for sabots and they don't work well. I would try the modified choke with Remington rifled slugs first. Rifled choke tubes are pretty much worthless.

I've had good luck with them in my Remington.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Different gun with different bore diameter. The SX 3 is over bored. Apple's and oranges.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 pm

z51 wrote:Different gun with different bore diameter. The SX 3 is over bored. Apple's and oranges.

You said rifled chokes don't work well and that they are pretty much worthless, not that they work in some guns and not in others.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am

clampdaddy wrote:
z51 wrote:Different gun with different bore diameter. The SX 3 is over bored. Apple's and oranges.

You said rifled chokes don't work well and that they are pretty much worthless, not that they work in some guns and not in others.

What is your deal man. I have an SX3 you have what, an 870 pump? You recommend a guy who is clearly new, go spend significant dollars on something you have no clue as to whether it will work.
Rifled choke tubes are absolutely not needed nor recommended to shoot rifled slugs.

If you think one works on your gun, fine, but it is not a wise expense on this guy's gun,period.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 am

What's my deal? What's your deal? The guy asked of he could shoot slugs in his gun. I saw that there are rifled tubes available, therefore it must be safe to shoot slugs in their backbored barrels. I didn't tell him to go out and buy one. Then you made a blanket statement that rifled tubes are worthless and I disagreed with you. They may not work as well as a fully rifled barrel but I have a hard time believing that Browning and Carlsons would design and produce a "worthless" tube. And yes, Browning does recommend the rifled choke with foster type slugs too, not just sabot loads.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:41 am

You are arestill not getting it. Rifled choke tubes are for shooting sabots not slugs. Do you even know the difference? My point was they are not even designed to do what the OP asked. Yet you recommend he go buy them because you are using one in a different gun.
I suggest you do some reading on the subject. BTW' Who said anything about danger?

The bad thing is the guy is going to probably spend money on something he doesn't need. Browning wants to sell product.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Apparently you are having a problem with reading comprehension so I'll go over it again nice and slow for you.......

#1......I never recommended that he buy a rifled tube.....If I did please quote it and show me that I am wrong.

#2..... I pointed out that slugs must be safe to shoot in his overbored gun because they offer a choke that is designed for use with sabot AND foster type slugs.

#3.....You made an erroneous blanket statement about the usefulness of rifled choke tubes and I disagreed with you
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:51 am

You are as clueless as sack of hair.......I give up.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Good idea. Your shovel handle isn't long enough to pitch the dirt out of the hole that you've dug yourself into.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:05 am

I shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel. They shoot just as nice as sabot slugs... WAY cheaper too. The barrel needs a good scrub after, but works fine.

******** not in an sx3 though *********
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:27 am

youngoilguy wrote:I shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel. They shoot just as nice as sabot slugs... WAY cheaper too. The barrel needs a good scrub after, but works fine.

******** not in an sx3 though *********

A little trick I came up with to help with lead deposits is to take a fine point grease guns and put a small ring of grease around where the hull touches the slug at the roll crimp. For actual hunting ammo you may want to use something like crisco or lard, but adding some lubrication really helps a lot.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks! :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:05 pm

I've shot slugs through a SX2 with a Briley rifled choke, each deer season for the past 10 years. Both foster style slugs and sabots. Found two sabot loads and two foster loads that group great out to 80 yards and bought a pile of them. Hornady SST's, 3" lightfields, rem buck hammers, and federal truballs.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks

I bought an SX3 last year and shot both ducks and my deer with it. Before I shot rifled slugs through it I called Winchester and asked if it was fine and they said yes with open chokes. I used the IC factory choke. It shot fine with the slugs but about 6 inches to the left. I am thinking about buying some adjustable turkey sights this year to see if I can get it more centered, or trying a different brand/velocity of slugs. My groups were about 4" shooting standing at 30 yards, so it wasn't that accurate in my hands but it was good enough for deer season. I haven't tried it on a rest. Slugs through a 12 gauge pack a punch and the deer never go far.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:59 pm

sharris wrote:

Thanks

I bought an SX3 last year and shot both ducks and my deer with it. Before I shot rifled slugs through it I called Winchester and asked if it was fine and they said yes with open chokes. I used the IC factory choke. It shot fine with the slugs but about 6 inches to the left. I am thinking about buying some adjustable turkey sights this year to see if I can get it more centered, or trying a different brand/velocity of slugs. My groups were about 4" shooting standing at 30 yards, so it wasn't that accurate in my hands but it was good enough for deer season. I haven't tried it on a rest. Slugs through a 12 gauge pack a punch and the deer never go far.

Shoot it from a rest to make sure it isn't you. Try some different slugs, my open bore 12 shoots the cheap Federal 2 3/4 inch slugs the best. From a rest, with a bead I can hit a paper plate at a measured 100 yards. With other slugs like Brenneke, I can't hit a 3 foot square at 50 yards. Find out what works for you and your gun.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:02 pm

I have several guns that I need to shoot off a rest one of these days. For now those groups and accuracy is fine for me since I don't hunt deer beyond 30 yards (I feel it is more sporting for me to shoot up close). I used to bow hunt but where I hunt now I need them to drop and not be tracking a blood trail so the shotgun up close is my compromise.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:03 pm

sharris wrote:I have several guns that I need to shoot off a rest one of these days. For now those groups and accuracy is fine for me since I don't hunt deer beyond 30 yards (I feel it is more sporting for me to shoot up close). I used to bow hunt but where I hunt now I need them to drop and not be tracking a blood trail so the shotgun up close is my compromise.

Take an extra sandbag so you have one to put between your shoulder and the gun. :lol3: Accuracy testing slug loads is the most unpleasant time I've ever spent at the bench. Darn things seem like they kick at least four times as bad when you're sitting and aiming at paper. :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby nnorem7618 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Just to make it clear: I have, and do, own other shotguns. I simply stated that I sold my 30-06 because it opened the funds for me to afford a new shotgun. I've been looking at semis, but I've never owned a semi, which is why I was wondering whether slugs shoot the same through autoloaders as the do through pumps (I've heard pumps are better suited for slugs).

Anyway, I've contacted a gun shop near me, and they allow you to test fire any gun you are looking at buying as long as they have a used one of the same model. Just so happens that they have an SX3 new, as well as used. So I'm heading out there on Saturday to try out some slugs and stuff.

Thanks for all the input.
nnorem7618
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum