Why Hitting High ?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Why Hitting High ?

Postby 60's hunter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:17 am

Alright guys, I know there is a simple answere for this.
Patterning a gun and steel is all new to me, I've got a new 870 & back to hunting after a long break
because of health problems. I just shot at a board with my load of choice & choke------the pattern
looks good but it is high by about 6-8 in.-----and it's the same with every shot from resting position &
free hand from 35 yards. Whats up with that ?????? kerry
60's hunter
hunter

Re: Why Hitting High ?

Postby 60's hunter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 pm

PS------of coarse I'm aiming dead flat like a rifle & the gun fits me, that's not the issue.
And------after lookin on the net, I see a lot of info saying that rarely a shotgun will pattern dead center to your point of aim
when you " rifle shoot " it.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 pm

In my humble opinion the gun is shooting exactly where I would want it. I like the target on top of the barrel instead of covered up. I say shoot and enjoy.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 am

Six inches high is about right. When you shoot at a bird that is seen over the top of your barrel the center of the pattern should be on the bird. If the pattern shot flat to the point of aim you would have to cover the bird to center it. I would forgetaboutit!
z51
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:56 am

I would agree with others in that you want it to shoot a bit high.

With that said, there is a problem in that you are sighting it flat down the rib like a rifle. Highly doubtful anyone is using that site plane while shooting. Typically when you have the rib flat and pattern, the gun will shoot low since a normal person mounting a shotgun and shooting will be seeing the rib on a rising to the bead which will raise the POI.

Can you confirm that you are looking down a "flat rib" while shooting? The ideal way to pattern is to not shoot the shutgun like a rifle, but to throw it up to your shoulder like you are shooting a bird, focus on the bead, put the bead on the target and pull the trigger with no thought to the rib.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 am

I have heard of throwing it up to your shoulder like you were hunting & that more accurately tells you where you are hitting.
All good info guys----thanks. It is good to know what your pattern is doing, but I can also see that you can think about it too much-------there was some good things also when we just picked up a box of lead #4 and relied on our instincts. kerry
60's hunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am

60's hunter wrote:I have heard of throwing it up to your shoulder like you were hunting & that more accurately tells you where you are hitting.
All good info guys----thanks. It is good to know what your pattern is doing, but I can also see that you can think about it too much-------there was some good things also when we just picked up a box of lead #4 and relied on our instincts. kerry

This^^^^^ It's not a rifle. Forget about "aiming and all that stuff".
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Shotgun Forum