Japanese vs Belgium A5

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Japanese vs Belgium A5

Postby mauserfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 am

I understood that the issue of steel shot & Belgian made was that of choke constriction. Based on my understanding that Browning generally choked their "Full" at .005" tighter than what manufacturers had set as the standard "Full" choke. A belief that they were concerned with the larger steel shot sizes, generally used for waterfowl, causing issue with their Full choked Guns...again generally used for waterfowl. If this is off base....please provide the correct understanding. Thanks a lot....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Yes and no; the issue is that steel pellets can deform older barrel steel (not just Browning's), but more open chokes (plus modern wads and shell components) are forgiving enough to often not show physical deformity. In other words, there's enough room so that it doesn't matter that the steel pellets aren't yielding to the barrel metal. With more muzzle constriction, the steel pellets push against the barrel trying to get out, and you end up with ring bulges at the end of the barrel. Most consider the bulges entirely cosmetic by the way.

I would assume that as shot size goes up, the problem is exacerbated. I don't think it's necessarily that Browning was a bit tighter, as there isn't a threshold constriction where it happens. I've seen an English sidelock with the equivalent of improved cylinder constriction bulge from steel shot.

I know guys with open chokes in old Browning Supers that routinely shoot steel, and you'd be hard pressed to show signs of damage. That being said, would I run steel through a beautiful old Browning Diana even if it had skeet chokes? Probably not.
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks for clarifying that Ted. I have a '66 Superposed choked M/IC but will actually mic at barrel end as an IM/LM. Gun is not a collector but a beautiful gun nonetheless. Sounds like I would be ok to shoot my #2 steel out of it? Best regards....mauserfan
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 am

Mauserfan, sorry I didn't mean to give the impression that that would be okay. If it were me, I wouldn't put steel through that gun, especially that size of pellet. I think you risk getting a ring on the end of that barrel and ruining a classic shotgun. And to the Superposed devotees out there, the mid 60's was like a golden age, round knob, long tang, perfectly balanced, the whole nine yards. I just rebuilt a 1966 Diana that probably had 1 million rounds through it; one repair job in its life and its ready for another million rounds.
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:25 am

Will heed your advice. Thanks again....mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Edge » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Harley vs Honda...........
Hondas are like fat chicks, they are both fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you doing it.
Edge
hunter

Postby old school too » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:10 pm

My son's Belgium made Browning Gold has a bulging barrel on it now. Have not contacted Browning yet. Has been his go to gun for waterfowl for years. Ideas as to where to get a Japanese replacement barrel?
old school too
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Apparently you can say it was made in Belgium, but not Belgium made.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum