Remington, 887 nitro Magnum

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Remington, 887 nitro Magnum

Postby Ksch97 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 am

I was liking on cabelas wen site, and found the Remington nitro magnum. It has good reviews on the site. I was wondering what you thought of it. I am looking to purchase a new gun. For I had sold my other one. Thank you for your help with this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Ksch97
hunter

Re: Remington, 887 nitro Magnum

Postby band_blaster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 am

I have it and i like it but it does have flaws.Ive had buddies bite their finger on the pump release when clearing the chamber cause the pump comes clear back to the release.Ive never done it myself so it doesnt bother me.Also ive had 3.5"s jam the gun on 2 occasions it was when i shot and was cycling the next rd one of the pump guides actually came out of it pocket and twisted causing the pump to be locked completely so i had to break it down in the blind and missed some geese.But other than that i love it. Its been dropped in mud and salt water and never n issue with either just cleaned it when i got home and always was good. Ive had mine for about 4 yrs i think? i got it right when it came out because it is supposed to be a 870 on roids.
(Stole this idea fromBamaHoyt)Thanks guy!
Mottleds-
Mallards/Hyrbrids-2
Blue wings-
Green wings-
Wood Ducks-
Whistlers-
Hooded Mergansers-
Ring Necks-
Pintails-2
Shovelers-
band_blaster
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:45 pm

I had a 887 that would not cycle the first box of shells. Sent it back. They either repaired it or gave me a new one. The 2nd gun had the same problem. Couldn't cycle throught the first box. Sent it back again rather pissed. What's in the box for the 3rd gun. A new versa max. Score. I won the gun at a du dinner so it was not to bad of a deal.
As for the gun. I am not a fan. Felt bulky and Clanky. Not very smooth. I would suggest a 870 wing master if you are looking for a pump. Shot mine for 8 years and love it.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Cary » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Last week I picked up a Benelli Nova. It will take 3.5" shells as well. You may want to take a look at one also. The next step up from the Nova is the Super Nova in their line of pump guns.
Cary
Cary
hunter

Postby Ksch97 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 am

Cary wrote:Last week I picked up a Benelli Nova. It will take 3.5" shells as well. You may want to take a look at one also. The next step up from the Nova is the Super Nova in their line of pump guns.
Cary

Thank you for the suggestion, I did take a look at them the other day. I also looked at the 870, I liked the nova a little better, it was lighter and seem to fit me better. I have started saving up for one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Ksch97
hunter

Postby Cary » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 am

The Nova fit me good as well. The next one up from the Nova is the Super Nova. It has an adjustable stock and is supposed to work better with the 3 or 3.5 inch loads. It is more money but if you are going to shoot the heavy loads it may be worth it. Keep us informed of what you get.
Cary
Cary
hunter

Postby duckbuster57 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 am

I'm a Remington guy been shooting one for the last 45 years,but the 887 is one big POS stay away.
duckbuster57
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:55 am

my son has one. It wouldn't take more than one shell, just wouldn't put the second shell in. Less than 3 boxes through it. Remington fixed it had it back in his hands in less than 3 weeks. Works flawlessly now. While it was gone he talked about the super-nova but after getting his back he just liked the looks of the 887 better.
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I have one, shot great for 2 years, then it went to hell. It's been back and forth to Remington 3 times now, it's been a big pos and I will never buy a new Remington firearm ever again due to the pos and the lousy service
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Canada-hammer wrote:I have one, shot great for 2 years, then it went to hell. It's been back and forth to Remington 3 times now, it's been a big pos and I will never buy a new Remington firearm ever again due to the pos and the lousy service

I love my new versa maxx. 500 cheap target load trough it these past 2 weekends with out a hitch. Another 250 coming up this weekend.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum