ruger 3.5 duck gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

ruger 3.5 duck gun

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm

i thought that might get your attention, i think this is a good idea but what do i know. what do you all think of this idea and what do you think is the hold up with ruger getting on this.
garlicsalt
hunter

Re: ruger 3.5 duck gun

Postby JWG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:04 pm

over/under? i don't think they even have a shotgun anymore? it'd be interesting. could team up with hornady and make something really special
JWG
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:07 pm

I've always thought the same thing. They have made a reputation on manufacturing stoutly built guns. That's exactly what a duck gun should be. I wouldn't mind an all stainless pump or auto in that dark gray they use on the super redhawk. Hell, make it in stainless and dip it in camo. It'd be about as rust resistant as a gun could be. Saltwater hunters may appreciate it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Im all in on this one. :thumbsup:
erp10
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm

I thought they already did? Ruger Red Label in camo 3.5". Or maybe wood with 3.5" chamber. Maybe I am getting this mixed up with something else though.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:I thought they already did? Ruger Red Label in camo 3.5". Or maybe wood with 3.5" chamber. Maybe I am getting this mixed up with something else though.

I don't know if it had 3.5" chambers or not, but they did offer an all weather stainless/synthetic version of the red label. I've never cared much for over/unders though. Ruger has done a good job of taking old gun designs and beefing them up and adding improvements while at the same time putting, their own distinct fingerprint on it. A Ruger-ized 3.5" version of the model 12 in the dark gray stainless and synthetic furniture would be pretty bad azz. I'd definitely like to see the safety and slide release switch positions on the trigger guard though.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:43 pm

The Red Label is history. To my knowledge it was never was made in 3 1/2". The 3" kicked like a mule I would hate to see what a 3 1/2" gun would do.
Ruger makes some great guns but not shotguns.
Last edited by z51 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Local shop owner told me about a month ago that ruger is working on a new o/u not sure if its going to be continued under the red label line or what but they are apparently trying to meet a $900 price point with a quality o/u prob a 3" gun though.
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 pm

z51 wrote:Ruger makes some great guns but not shotguns.

Z are you serious? I have 3 redlables and would not trade any of them for any other shotgun short of an english bespoke. Have you ever even owned a redlable?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:40 am

I have not. I have shot a 12 quite a bit because my pheasant hunting buddy had one. He traded his after a couple of years because of ejector and trigger issues. I ended up buying a Beretta Black Onyx for about the same money that fit me better. If you like yours great, I understand the sub gauges were better. IMO the B guns are better and it's not just me the market has spoken. There are rumors out there that they are going to introduce a new shotgun for under $1000. That market is getting crowded. Hopefully they don't bring out a cheap double.
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Z are you serious? I have 3 redlables and would not trade any of them for any other shotgun short of an english bespoke. Have you ever even owned a redlable?

Z may not have, but I own four of them. They would not make a good duck gun; they are too light for stout loads. I've taken one on two pheasant hunts. Big mistake (slow learner?) Shoot a box of high-base pheasant loads through one and you'll be sorry.
They are pretty guns, simple, graceful. Not good waterfowl guns. They are the least of the O/U's I prefer. Any of the B-guns are better O/U's....not to mention the top grade guns like Kreighoff, Kolar, Perazzi, CG, Blazer, etc.
mudpack
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:49 pm

mudpack wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:Z are you serious? I have 3 redlabels and would not trade any of them for any other shotgun short of an english bespoke. Have you ever even owned a redlable?

Z may not have, but I own four of them. They would not make a good duck gun; they are too light for stout loads. I've taken one on two pheasant hunts. Big mistake (slow learner?) Shoot a box of high-base pheasant loads through one and you'll be sorry.
They are pretty guns, simple, graceful. Not good waterfowl guns. They are the least of the O/U's I prefer. Any of the B-guns are better O/U's....not to mention the top grade guns like Kreighoff, Kolar, Perazzi, CG, Blazer, etc.

Mud are any of your Redlabels fitted to you? My 12ga Redlable was my 2nd gun I ever had and my primary gun for about 5 years for trap, and all my upland hunting. I have shot numerous high brass loads from mine with no issue or complaint in regards to the gun or the felt recoil, but it did fit me well and had to as to not develop a flinch shooting 500+ rounds during a 3 day shoot.

Like everything we all have our preferences but for me like I said, I would not trade any of my 3 Redlabels for anything short of a bespoke :smile:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am

hamernhonkers wrote:Like everything we all have our preferences but for me like I said, I would not trade any of my 3 Redlabels for anything short of a bespoke :smile:

You are quite right, 'honkers: we all have our individual preferences. I just traded two of my Red Labels for a Browning Gold Golden Clays Sporting gun.

My Rugers fit me well. A good fit doesn't make up for not enough weight....at least for me it doesn't. :beer:
mudpack
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 am

mudpack wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:Like everything we all have our preferences but for me like I said, I would not trade any of my 3 Redlabels for anything short of a bespoke :smile:

You are quite right, 'honkers: we all have our individual preferences. I just traded two of my Red Labels for a Browning Gold Golden Clays Sporting gun.

My Rugers fit me well. A good fit doesn't make up for not enough weight....at least for me it doesn't. :beer:

:beer: :beer:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum