Super Nova

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Super Nova

Postby Ksch97 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm

My wife says I could spend about $600 on a new shotgun. I ess thinking of getting a super nova. I probably won't be sitting many 3-1/2's but I like having the option available. I had a stoeger 2000, was a nice gun but reviews with them I haven't seen them to be real good. So I thought I would go with a pump this time. Has any one shot one own, what kind of reviews do you give it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Ksch97
hunter

Re: Super Nova

Postby bigmel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I would think about buying a regular nova and a limb saver.I've had one since about the second year it came out and been a real work horse.
bigmel
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm

just buy a bps.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Ksch97 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I looked at the bps online, they are nice looking, I like Browning, but is is only a 3" and wood stock, I am afraid of having a walnut stock with waterfowl hunting,I don't want to ruin the wood.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Ksch97
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:50 am

I used a nova for 3 years And it never had an issue that wasn't human related. I was used to shooting a semi auto and I would short stroke it every once in a while and not kick the spent shell out all the way. Only reason I got rid of it was to get an SBE 2. Sold the nova to my buddy. I rarely shot 3 1/2 but if you wanted it for geese you had the option.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby DuckGooseDestroyer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah I have been looking at this shotgun... I am in the same predicament as you man, I like the bps, but it is too much money. I also like the 870. I thing I am going to go with the super. My buddy has one and they seem really sweet.
DuckGooseDestroyer
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 pm

I have a Super and bought just a regular Nova for my son. I should have spent the extra $100 for the Super for him. The Super is very rugged. The shims and cast choices are a bonus. I am left-handed (duh "Lefty" Ray) and changing the cast was great for me. I even had the safety reversed. Get the Super.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby JBurns » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am

Owned a super nova and just sold this year to buy an auto.
Was a great gun, one of the softest shooting pumps I've ever shot. The fit and finish over the regular Nova is quite a bit better as well.
JBurns
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I have 3 different buddies that love their Novas and Super Novas. The one thing I will say is the black ones rust easily. My 870 supermag rusted quickly too, which has made me a believer in camo paintjob on my duck guns. I just bought a Vinci, between my new toy and all the buddy's benellis that I've got to try I have to say they make nice guns.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:08 pm

My go to gun has been my 28 inch black nova since I was 13. Hunted everything under the sun with it, and 14 years later it is still my favorite gun. Not one issue.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 am

I've hunted a Nova for 5 years and it has been damn reliable. It's Max-4 and in my opinion they hold up a hell of alot better than a Super Nova, never really heard much good about one. Save a little money and get a Nova.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Bought a regular nova for this year excited to use it have SB2 and wanted to get a good gun for rolling around in the mud a few of my buddies have them not one complain about them
mojo coot
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 pm

My buddy has a super nova as his home defense gun, great gun he said he has probably put 300-400 rounds through it at the range. Said it has worked flawlessly with 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 from target loads to slugs. Out of that he said maybe 5 misfires, but said the ammo to blame it was sitting for a long time. He bought it used for 250 i was so P.O.ed i didn't jump on it.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby tbone72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 pm

I use a Nova for waterfowl hunting not a Super Nova. The Super Nova has a pistol grip I believe if you like that. I haven't had any trouble with my Nova though.
tbone72
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:54 am

Having grown up with a pump gun, I still have a passion for them. I often times use a auto as well. I have owned two Novas and did not care for them, selling both. I did not like the fit and finish and its being a loose gun. Really, there was nothing about the Nova that made me like it other than its Max4 finish. Performance was perfect though.
I have always preferred the BPS and own a few. Only recently did I discover the 870 clone, the H&R 1871 pump. Be sure and check this gun out. It is very tight and being a nice 870 clone only a thinner feel than the Wingmaster. Dont judge it by its price. I couldnt be any more impressed with a pump gun than I am with the H&R.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby PnR_Productions » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:51 pm

tbone72 wrote:I use a Nova for waterfowl hunting not a Super Nova. The Super Nova has a pistol grip I believe if you like that. I haven't had any trouble with my Nova though.

The Super Nova has a removable stock so it has the option of a pistol grip but doesn't always come with one, the original Nova had the action and stock as one piece. Good guns if you don't mind a little rattle lol. Only problem i had with mine was after i dunked it in loon chit(went in MAX4 came out Brown).. Who'd a thunk it wouldn't want to cycle rounds after that lol
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
PnR_Productions
hunter

Postby fish dog » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Love my super nova. Only issue I've had with it was that for some reason every once in a gret while a fired shell would stick in the chamber and to get it to cycle I had to hold on to the forend with both hands and hit the butt on the ground. Asked around about this problem and someone suggested the there was some gunk in the chamber making an occasional round stick. I very thoroughly cleaned it, using a pick to scrape out a little line of gunk in the chamber where the shell's rim would sit (if there a name for that part I don't know it). Since then no problem.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby feetdowngunsup88 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Buy a bps or an older 870. The twisting locking bolt system is a terrible design and WILL FAIL on you if you shoot a lot of magnum rounds! I had 2 Novas cause they sent me a different one cause of the issues and then I bought an 887 which has the similar twist locking bolt, had the same issues. 870 and bps are where it's at for 3.5" magnum pump guns, there's lots of others if you don't want the 3.5".
Can we please legalize the punt gun again... I can't hit anything on the water, let alone in the air
feetdowngunsup88
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 am

Since we're on the subject of which pump, this may help http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 3&t=366843
BurninPowder
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum