Best indestructable

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Best indestructable

Postby ahannuk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 pm

I know this may be opening a can of something. But I would love opinions on the the best semi-auto for mostly duck hunting with an occasional upland or turkey hunt. I would love something indestructible (or close to it) that can get wet and be beat up without much b.s. Opinions on price points around $1200? opinions of price points around $500? or should i think about staying with the pump?

thanks!
ahannuk
Newb

Re: Best indestructable

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 am

Auto-5 or a clone
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 am

Been carrying pay hunters virtually every open season day since '84 and don't believe you can do better than one of the inertia action Benellis:

If there were no such thing, I'd shoot Berettas.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 am

One of the best Autos for the Money is the EXCELL made in Turkey, distributed by H & R, and sold by The Academy for $300. It is a simple locking block design without the parts that wear or break on an 1100. The bolt spring is around the magazine where it belongs. It also takes the Rem chokes. I have two 1100's about 32 yrs old also. Academy is getting about 600 of these guns Aug 8. They will be black plastic with a soft recoil pad. This gun has less parts than any auto made. Mine has functioned perfectly in the 4 yrs. I had it shooting in 10F temperatures last year. I shoot my fast loads in it successfully. I use Hoppes Gun oil. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Windrider » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:52 am

Third vote for the original A5 here. Mine has hunted almost every season since 1962 and is on it's third finish, second barrel and second set of stocks.

If you want 3.5 inch shell capacity the binelli SBE has proven itself.

The new A5 is a possibility, but it's too soon to tell.
Windrider
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:30 am

The classic A5 particularly a magnum version is pretty indestructible, I've got one that is 40 years old with its original factory fixed mod barrel that has seen thousands of steel rounds and other then having to replace the forearm with a synthetic one no issues.
The Benelli's are fantasticly reliable and I wouldn't discount them either.
There is a reason there are so many older 1100's 1187' berreta 390's, 303's, 301's and other Beretta models still so popular, they are the best of the gas guns as well as the winchesters sx series and browning golds and silvers.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby geordie tom » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Browning A5 is close to an indestructible duck gun . :thumbsup:
geordie tom
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum