Threading a fixed choke Auto 5 barrel

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Threading a fixed choke Auto 5 barrel

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 am

I picked up a steal last night on a 76 Browning Auto 5 Magnum with 30" fixed full choke barrel. I was wanting to send it somewhere to have the barrel opened up to accept screw in Invector chokes. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I bought this thing to drag along on a few hunts since its in great shape and has synthetic stocks. I figured $400 wasn't a bad price for a great condition Jap Auto 5 with synthetic stocks, wood stocks, and 200 high brass #6's. I just need to open that barrel up some. You guys know of anywhere that I can get that done?

I've always been a huge Benelli fan. But in the last 2 weeks I've run up on great deals and bought the Jap Magnum Auto 5 30" full vr barrel I mentioned and a 1957 Belgium Light Twelve with 28" mod. vr barrel. i have fell in love with these guns. I can see already that the Belgium is going to be my dove killer. I can also tell my SBEII and my M2 will be left behind on some duck hunts to take that Jap Auto 5 along with me :beer:

Also does anyone know a ball park figure on what it may cost to have this done? I'm a big fan of Carlson's choke tubes. So I was hoping to get this barrel to where I could use them in IC and MOD
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Re: Threading a fixed choke Auto 5 barrel

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Google Mike Orlen

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I was told that Spoon Custom place out of Mack's Prairie wing will do it too. But I don't know for sure. Give em a call. Hope this helps.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Windrider » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:26 pm

I've had Briley do two for me. Happy with the outcome.

Briley has also done one for one of my buds
Windrider
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:09 pm

You can't get Invector chokes installed but you can get thin wall chokes put in it. Briley probably does more in a month than most smiths do in a year.

http://www.briley.com/choke-installation.aspx

Others might do as good a job but no one will do a better one.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 am

After looking at my options, I am seriously considering just having the barrel opened up to a fixed MOD or IC. That's all I ever use and I'm wondering if that wouldn't be my easiest option
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Luvbowhuntn wrote:After looking at my options, I am seriously considering just having the barrel opened up to a fixed MOD or IC. That's all I ever use and I'm wondering if that wouldn't be my easiest option

That's all you need to do to a Jap barrel to make it steel shot safe. Then you don't have to keep checking if your choke is still tight or not.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Just about every A5 shooter I know, let the shot do the modification for them. Started out with full, after a couple seasons of steel, mod to IC.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:52 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:You can't get Invector chokes installed but you can get thin wall chokes put in it. Briley probably does more in a month than most smiths do in a year.

http://www.briley.com/choke-installation.aspx

Others might do as good a job but no one will do a better one.

I had Steve Rose and Mike Orlen both install Invector chokes in a few shotguns.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:20 pm

The factory Invector tube is too big in diameter to fit in a factory fixed choke barrel. When the barrel is reamed out for the choke tube and then threads cut the metal is too thin. Invector barrels are swagged out on the end where the choke tube goes leaving more metal around choke tube.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:After looking at my options, I am seriously considering just having the barrel opened up to a fixed MOD or IC. That's all I ever use and I'm wondering if that wouldn't be my easiest option

its probably your cheapest and is really very straight forward to do..my guess is $30-40US should take care of it without any problem. as for how open??? well they could split the difference. but you will/should be able to tune your loads to suit from there finding one that is good for longer range and one for in close is the holy grail for us all I believe.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum