Duck Hunting Forum banner

Best chokes money can buy?

5K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  The Drake 
#1 ·
Ok guys I need some help. I just bought a SBE2 used. I got a great deal on it, but it didn't come with any chokes for it, factory or otherwise. So my question to you guys is if you had to buy any choke/ choke set, what would it be and why? I appreciate any feedback. Keep in mind, I am a south Louisiana duck hunter who hunts mostly in flooded rice fields. Ready... Go!

#9 ·
wad wizard!! Amazing!!!!!!!

#11 ·
As you can see by the replies, there is no consensus on what the best choke is. Each has its proponents and its detractors.
It all seems to be personal preference....or,whichever choke the guy bought is the best.

Sorta' like who makes the best ballpeen hammer?
They all do a good job.

#12 ·
mudpack said:
As you can see by the replies, there is no consensus on what the best choke is. Each has its proponents and its detractors.
It all seems to be personal preference....or,whichever choke the guy bought is the best.

Sorta' like who makes the best ballpeen hammer?
They all do a good job.
In this day and age I highly agree, 10-15 years ago if you had asked this same question there probably would have been a hands down winner since the aftermarket chokes back then were pretty limited. I think there are many good choices out there today, especially when matched with the right ammo. You just have to expend the time, effort, and cold hard cash to figure out what works best in your gun, with the ammunition you like to shoot, or to find the right setup that suits your needs and capabilities best.

My best advice is to get a mid contriction choke if you're mostly in a rice blind shooting decoying birds. I would pick a choke that has the least number of ammo restrictions as well (velocity, wads, etc...) since it won't limit you to what kind of shells you can shoot. To cover the bases, I would probably find a setup that works well at longer (pass shooting distances) just in case you may need it.

#13 ·
Briley extended is what i just ordered in dove IC, duck passing M, and goose getter IM. I also have the kicks vortex and high flyer. I did A LOT of research and the wad wizard are nice but look slike ther terror is no longer after they sell them. The constriction was too much for a non oversized bore like the beretta and benellis so I crossed those out. Patternmaster seems well liked but still not 100 percent on the wad stripping device. I just need to shoot a PM to make a real opinion. I will be doing a lot of pattering and I will let yall know the outcome with the maxus and benelli super vinci both with Brileys mentioned above and the kicks. Should have a sore arm after everything said and done with probably 100 rounds shot in a few hours :thumbsup:

#14 ·
DuckmanOK said:
I did A LOT of research and the wad wizard are nice but look slike ther terror is no longer after they sell them. The constriction was too much for a non oversized bore like the beretta and benellis so I crossed those out. :
Could you elaborate on this please. I shoot the Wad Wizard short choke out of my 28" barrel super vinci and it patterns well and I shoot very well with it so far. I got it because my cousin did a lot of testing with a bunch of different ones and that was what he came out with for a winner in his SBE2. I know thats only 2 people but I would like some outside input. Thanks.

#16 ·
DuckmanOK said:
Briley extended is what i just ordered in dove IC, duck passing M, and goose getter IM. I also have the kicks vortex and high flyer. I did A LOT of research and the wad wizard are nice but look slike ther terror is no longer after they sell them. The constriction was too much for a non oversized bore like the beretta and benellis so I crossed those out. Patternmaster seems well liked but still not 100 percent on the wad stripping device. I just need to shoot a PM to make a real opinion. I will be doing a lot of pattering and I will let yall know the outcome with the maxus and benelli super vinci both with Brileys mentioned above and the kicks. Should have a sore arm after everything said and done with probably 100 rounds shot in a few hours :thumbsup:
For the Maxus you might want to try a set of the browning grand passage chokes. They have worked out really well for me in a cynergy. At the skeet range a hunting buddy tried them in his Maxus and they really crushed the clays as well. Enough that he went out and bought a set. In terms of cost/performance ratio, for me they have worked out the best, and I own a lot of chokes. The briley waterfowl chokes have been pretty good too.

#18 ·
There really is no "best" choke brand each gun/load combo is an individual. However, on rice fields I use no less than a modified. Late in the season you may want more choke than that when they get blind/pit shy. The best deal out there for a full set of 3 chokes is the Carlsons Extended Waterfowl set.

http://www.choketube.com

#19 ·
z51 said:
There really is no "best" choke brand each gun/load combo is an individual. However, on rice fields I use no less than a modified. Late in the season you may want more choke than that when they get blind/pit shy. The best deal out there for a full set of 3 chokes is the Carlsons Extended Waterfowl set.

Trulock has the same set for the same money.

I will never trust a Carlson Tube to be true to ID marked. I had a full set and one tube was .009" off. Besides that, the way Shane conducted himself on these forums was enough to turn me off of them.

#21 ·
orphanedcowboy said:
z51 said:

I will never trust a Carlson Tube to be true to ID marked. I had a full set and one tube was .009" off. Besides that, the way Shane conducted himself on these forums was enough to turn me off of them.
Sometimes you just got to let it go. Life is too short to let .009" on one choke tube get you down. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Shane and their products. In fact I get better patterns with the Waterfowl set than a $225 set of long Brileys I have.

So they mis marked one choke tube for Christ sake!

#22 ·
z51 said:
orphanedcowboy said:
z51 said:

Sometimes you just got to let it go. Life is too short to let .009" on one choke tube get you down. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Shane and their products. In fact I get better patterns with the Waterfowl set than a $225 set of long Brileys I have.

The entire set was off, one was .009" off, they were all .002" or more off on 7 tubes.

You settle for Carlson's, I'll choose a choke I know is correctly marked and has the very best guarantee on the market. I like Briley's too, I just on't like the price.

#23 ·
orphanedcowboy said:
z51 said:
orphanedcowboy said:
z51 said:

The entire set was off, one was .009" off, they were all .002" or more off on 7 tubes.

You settle for Carlson's, I'll choose a choke I know is correctly marked and has the very best guarantee on the market. I like Briley's too, I just on't like the price.[/quote

Sweet Jesus, it's worse than I thought. You have got to get a life. Did you ever hear the Eagles song "Get Over It".

I am not settling at all, performance comes on game as proved on paper not from minute fractions on a micrometer.

If you want to disparage someone in the future, that's your perogative, just puke on someone else's post. It's very tiresome to hear the same whining diatribe on every shotgun site on the internet. Have a great day!

#24 ·
No different than any other posts on most forums. The chokes were off and came from 2 different retailers. When you go to the pattern board and spend a day trying to make sense of why you either get no change or huge changes in patterns with just one constriction up or down, you become leery. If you don't like my diatribe, add me to the foe list or ignore, rather simple solution.

When the statement is fact, it isn't disparaging them.

#26 ·
Many many choices out there and a majority of them do good. It will alot of times boil down to personal preference. Me and my guns prefer Hevi Shot chokes and while they pattern great with just about every waterfowl load ive tested out. They absolutely eat up and LOVE Hevi Metal shells!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.