Pump vs Semi-Auto Recoil Difference

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Pump vs Semi-Auto Recoil Difference

Postby AronBlad23 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 am

I am gearing up for my first duck season. After having been out of the woods for a long time, I got back into hunting last year. A long time pheasant hunter, I am the proud owner of a early 1990's lefthanded Remington 870 Wingmaster (chambered for 2 3/4" or 3") that is too nice for me to trash duck hunting since the majority of hunting will be done on the coast of eastern Long Island. I am also going to do snow goose hunting upstate so I would like to get a gun that shoots a 3.5" shell. I have shouldered pretty much every model that is asked about on this forum and have it down to the following guns: Benelli SBE II, Super Vinci, Beretta A400 Xtreme, Browning A5, and Browning Silver...with the Beretta and Browning models in the lead because of how comfortable they are when I shoulder them. My question is this...I know nothing else recoil wise but my 870...how does a gas gun such as the Beretta or Silver or the inertia guns differ recoil wise from the 870?
AronBlad23
hunter

Re: Pump vs Semi-Auto Recoil Difference

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 am

Semi autos typically have less felt recoil than pumps (with identical loads) but other factors such as gun weight and the type of action are contributing factors. Typically a gas gun will be a bit softer shooting than inertia or recoil actions and both are normally softer than a pump. That said the fit of the gun has much to do with felt recoil as a proper fitting piece directs the force straight into the shoulder where an ill fitted one typically kicks back and up into the face.

The most common and logical suggestion is to try to shoot one of all makes & models you are considering which may or may not be the easiest task depending upon your accessibility to a range or clays courses. But at the end of the day there is normally not a large difference in recoil between the various "B" models you are looking at...it usually comes down to features and fit.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:07 am

apexhunter wrote: .......That said the fit of the gun has much to do with felt recoil as a proper fitting piece directs the force straight into the shoulder where an ill fitted one typically kicks back and up into the face....

Yep. I had swapped the wood stocks on my 870 express for a set of factory synthetics and the different stock dimensions made it a mother bear with heavy loads. I ended up putting the original stocks back on. My BPS was just the opposite. The factory synthetic stock had a lot of drop at the heel and it would slam me in the cheek with 3.5" loads. I changed them out with a set from Bell & Carlson and it made a world of difference.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42 am

Get a gas operated auto 3 1/2" and as you get older you will be back to shooting 3 inchers for geese. I mostly shoot 2 3/4" 7/8 oz of B's at 1765 fps. With a Mod choke in my 935 it gives me 90% patterns at 40 yds and I lose killing patterner density past 50 yds. This load will penetrate to kill to 66.5 yds at sea level and 32F. I also shoot mallards with 7/8 oz of 4's out to 45 yards after which I again lose pattern density. Both loads are great over decoys. The older you get the more you appreciate the gas operated autos. I also shoot a couple of 1100's using a Hasting barrel which out patterns my 935 just slightly. Ned S the young 84 yr old who also occasionally shoots his 43 yr old 870 Wingmaster.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 am

Any gun actions that locks-up tight will give you more recoil , unless it fits properly but , there are some fellas ( Pussies )
that can't stand a little recoil so , they shoot gas or spring guns :tongue: , changing the stocks or installing 2" recoil pads . :lol3:
Pump guns like a Mod 12 or a good old 870 Wingmaster are Duck killing machines but , if you chose to drink the ( BS aid ) of
the comfort stock , you will be just one of them ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:49 am

You will become one if you have neck surgery. I became one in the early '80's with a plate at C5/C6 plus age will get you also. Thank God for the gas operated autos. Ned S the young 84 yr old.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am

AronBlad23 wrote: I am the proud owner of a early 1990's lefthanded Remington 870 Wingmaster (chambered for 2 3/4" or 3") that is too nice for me to trash duck hunting .... have it down to the following guns: Benelli SBE II, Super Vinci, Beretta A400 Xtreme, Browning A5, and Browning Silver...with the Beretta and Browning models in the lead

Something smells fishy here, and it's not the coast of Long Island.
A thirty-year old 870 is "too nice" a gun for the duck blind, but a new A400 or SBE or Browning isn't?
Nothing wrong with wanting a new duck gun, but lets be honest......???

Yes, a gas-operated autoloader yields less felt recoil than a pumpgun. I went from my old 870 Special Purpose to a new Browning Gold for the recoil, among other reasons. Using the exact same loads, the difference in felt recoil is remarkable.
mudpack
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:57 pm

3200 man wrote: there are some fellas ( Pussies ) that can't stand a little recoil so , they shoot gas or spring guns :tongue: , changing the stocks.......

If I remember right, when we went shooting together you brought a Maxus and a tricked out Beretta autoloader. Come to think of it, don't you use your Maxus and your Gold for duck hunting and keep the 870 as a spare? Also saw that you were looking to trade your 16 gauge for a 20........ :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm

:yes: I didn't want to sound like r e c o i l bothered me , like Ned said , in time with heavy loads like Win Super X double X
1 1/2 oz of 4's it will allow you to have neck surgery sooner than you think . The 3 1/2 " guns and loads , will do the same so ,
being thick skinned , I only shoot 3" Maxus , 391's , Fabarms and Golds.....You know ! Soft shooters :grooving: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:07 pm

I started with a H&R single shot with a plastic recoil pad 12 years old and shot 3 in mag''s and all people talk about is recoil this recoil that. I understand if your hurt then shoot a light recoil gun but it seems that most hunter's are just wimp's I know you guy's are going to say you can get on target quicker in realty most guy's cant pull off a double any way :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:16 pm

:thumbsup: I know after you shot the first shot , I could on the next 2 shots ! :hi:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Cyrus1983 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 pm

All this talk about recoil! Its a twelve gauge, not an elephant gun.
If the good lord were a deer hunter, he'd shoot a 270
Cyrus1983
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Cyrus1983 wrote:All this talk about recoil! Its a twelve gauge, not an elephant gun.

Ever check the recoil levels of a 7 pound 12 ga. stoked with heavy loads versus a 9 pound .458 Winchester?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 pm

My biggest consideration for pump vs. auto is follow up shots. I know there are some here that don't need a follow up shot because they handle business with the first one. But me, I like to double up when the opportunity presents itself. It's common consensus that an auto takes less time to cycle a shell than most can cycle a pump. Factoring in the increased movement of the gun due to the cycling of the pump and the reduced recoil of the auto, for follow up shots an auto is the way to go. Not to say that it can't be done with a pump, it's just not as easy. Myself, I use both depending on the mood I'm in and the hunting situation.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Cyrus1983 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 pm

you know those are totally different animals dude. go shoulder a 500 grain 458 round and tell me its the same as a 1 7/8 oz shotgun load.
If the good lord were a deer hunter, he'd shoot a 270
Cyrus1983
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Just buy a 3" gun Beretta urika 2 used for $700 all the goose gun you could ever need I am in Missouri and I don't know anyone who shoots 3 1/2" shells for snows. I kill 40 greater honkers every season with 3" shells. Gas autos for best recoil reduction inertia does better in harsh conditions. Any of the big B brand guns or try a nice Remington 11-87 synthetic. If you are used to shooting remingtons you will likely have a little while getting used to point of impact of other guns remys just fit more people.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:23 am

Each of us is different, but the felt recoil of my 870 with 3" steel seems about the same as my old HK import SBE with 3 1/2s.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby AronBlad23 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:32 am

mudpack wrote:
AronBlad23 wrote: I am the proud owner of a early 1990's lefthanded Remington 870 Wingmaster (chambered for 2 3/4" or 3") that is too nice for me to trash duck hunting .... have it down to the following guns: Benelli SBE II, Super Vinci, Beretta A400 Xtreme, Browning A5, and Browning Silver...with the Beretta and Browning models in the lead

Something smells fishy here, and it's not the coast of Long Island.
A thirty-year old 870 is "too nice" a gun for the duck blind, but a new A400 or SBE or Browning isn't?
Nothing wrong with wanting a new duck gun, but lets be honest......???

Yes, a gas-operated autoloader yields less felt recoil than a pumpgun. I went from my old 870 Special Purpose to a new Browning Gold for the recoil, among other reasons. Using the exact same loads, the difference in felt recoil is remarkable.

Nothing fishy here at all. I take care of my firearms, cleaning them when I get home from a hunt, and not trashing them in the woods. If my 870 was an Express model I wouldn't really care as much about taking the gun duck hunting. But I'm not taking my Wingmaster in a duck blind. I was advised to buy a semi-auto so after taking the time to ask some questions and do some research, I built the list of guns I'm looking at off of that research paying particular attention to what I read from this forum. In asking some of my friends who I will be hunting with what features I should look for in a gun...they told me to make sure the stock was composite and to get the gun in a camo finish if I could afford it.
Last edited by AronBlad23 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AronBlad23
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 am

Cyrus1983 wrote:you know those are totally different animals dude. go shoulder a 500 grain 458 round and tell me its the same as a 1 7/8 oz shotgun load.

Actually clamp is correct. A 9# 458Win rifle shooting a 500gr bullet at 2140'/sec MV produces 62.2 bl-ft of recoil and a 7# 12 gauge shotgun shooting 1-7/8 oz of shot at 1300'/sec produces 64.6 lb-ft of recoil.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby AronBlad23 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for all the help guys! It is much appreciated!
AronBlad23
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 am

I don't know about Matt but , I have the hardest time shooting a limit of Ducks with the 458 , they seem to disapear when
I go look for them and that's after I get-up off the ground and find my glasses ! I never want to shoot a whole box of shells so ,
there is a savings .
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am

3200 man wrote:I don't know about Matt but , I have the hardest time shooting a limit of Ducks with the 458 , they seem to disapear when
I go look for them and that's after I get-up off the ground and find my glasses ! I never want to shoot a whole box of shells so ,
there is a savings .

Shoot them on the water and use a pool skimmer to retrieve the pieces. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 pm

I agree but , where can I find water this year ? I'm going to set-up a spread in a spot that looks like , they're dusting !

Don't tell anyone , I want to be the only one with a set-up ,like that !.........New trick ? any advise ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:38 pm

3200 man wrote: I have the hardest time shooting a limit of Ducks with the 458 .... after I get-up off the ground and find my glasses !

Better stick to a 20ga, then.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum