Beretta... Extrema 2 & A400 Field reviews

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta... Extrema 2 & A400 Field reviews

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 am

Hey guys I bought an Xtrema2 and an A400 after season last year so I have never really shot either but a hand full of times. I would like to see what you guys think about these guns. I don't mean skeet shooting. I mean being out there in the swamps elbow deep in muck and water, how has these guns performed for you thus far?
Last edited by jstewart_1981 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Re: Beretta... Extrema 2 & A400 Field reviews

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:25 am

jstewart_1981 wrote:Hey guys I bought an extrema 2 and an A400 after season last year so I have never really shot either but a hand full of times. I would like to see what you guys think about these guns. I don't mean skeet shooting. I mean being out there in the swamps elbow deep in muck and water, how has these guns performed for you thus far?

Since you've already bought them, our experience with these guns sounds like a moot point.
But, since you asked, I've been shooting an Xtrema2 (not an "extrema") for three seasons, although not exclusively.
Great gun. Love it. One malfunction during that time; a failure to load the second shot from a straight-up-in-the-air first shot. (I've noticed over the years that all my autoloaders tend to do this on a straight up shot...)
mudpack
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 am

NO, no its not a "Moot" point. Its a valid question. I have reasons for purchasing them. What I was asking for was some opinions from duck hunters who have used these guns, not for an English lesson. But thanks there mudpacker!
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby quanah labs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am

Sorry I don't have any info for you, but I am leaning heavely towards purchasing the a400 so I am very interested in this thread, I thought I would bump it to the top to get some more comments.
Hunt like your hungry
quanah labs
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:43 pm

The Xtrema2 that I have used is an excellent durable shotgun. I tripped on a submerged log one morning chasing a wing clipped bluebill, gun disappeared underwater in the swamp. Retrieved the gun, shook it off and shot it the rest of the day without a malfunction. They are rust proof, durable, and an excellent design. Very happy with mine, I will definitely hang onto her!
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:13 am

love my extrema2. Takes a lickin and keeps on kickin. i wore out something in the ejector back in Feb. When i got around to taking it into the shop, they mailed it out and i had it back in about a month. other then that, no issues.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 am

I see myself shooting the xtrema a lot this year myself. Maybe making the a400 my back up who knows... Love the feel of it. A400 peeps lets hear it
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:57 am

jstewart_1981 wrote:I see myself shooting the xtrema a lot this year myself. Maybe making the a400 my back up who knows... Love the feel of it. A400 peeps lets hear it

I have an A400. I got the 30" barrel so it was weighted more like my O/U that I shoot sporting clays with. The spot I hunt the most requires you to walk in chest deep water for a hundred yards or so with your gun on your back. So it's submerged at least 10 times a week during season. I specifically didn't clean it this year other than letting it drip dry and spraying it with oil because I wanted to see what it could do. Never a problem from the start all the way through late season goose. Shot a few flats of shells through it, including one goose trip to Finger Lakes New York. 0 problems, 0 regrets. Would buy again in a heartbeat. And as gimmicky and stupid as I originally thought that 1/4 twist forend cap was, it's really nice for taking it apart and letting it dry or to clean your barrel if you get an obstruction. I think I have some pics on here once I tore down the trigger group at the end of season before I put it away to show what as season like I described made the internals look like. It wasn't very dirty at all (and I'm a person that doesn't let my guns get dirty - so I'm a believer now)
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby yamaha783 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Up to this past December, I'd been hunting an Xtrema2 since July 2006, it was nothing but great to me. I hunt in brackish-salt marsh usually tallying 35-40 total hunts a season. I sold my Xtrema2 to a buddy and I bought the Xtreme; made 8-10 hunts with it before season ended. I'm really liking it so far as it handles much like the Xtrema2 but a shade lighter. I have long arms so both fit me well with the longer fore-ends. Can't go wrong with either one
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Thax » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm

I've had my Xtrema2 for 3 seasons. I use it for ducks and geese and like it a lot.
Thax
hunter

Postby dog walker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:54 am

I've used an xtrema 2 for the past few years without any issues in coastal salt marshes to frozen corn fields. My brother picked up a 400 year before last and I really like it, if I was in need of a new gun I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 400.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 pm

This upcoming season will be my 53rd chasing ducks and geese, and I've shot many, many shotguns over those years, and I've never found a sweeter gun than the A400 Xtreme. Thought I'd never find the equal of my old Winchester model 50 autoloader, but I have, and it is truely the waterfowler's ultimate tool.
Great gun!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm

My extrema 2 was a great gun. I sold it and kinda wish I wouldn't have...I might buy my buddies at some point. They are work horses....
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby Edge » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am

I have the Xplor as does another member of our club, my brother has the Extrema2, we are in boats, 4 wheelers, 8 wheelers, rain and snow. No problems at all. I have more shotguns than anyone would ever need and the Explor is my favorite. I should say though, that the only reason I bought the Explor is that my daughter started shooting my Silver Mallard and wouldn't give it back.
Edge
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 am

I have had an Xtrema II for the past 5 seasons and have shot over 10,000 rounds through it, mostly 3.5" shells. Last season, I replaced the hammer spring because I was getting some intermittent misfires. It really has been a flawless performing shotgun other than the spring and I really love it. I just bought the A400 with the 30" barrel and took it out today for the first time. Not a hiccup on any type shell I put in it. The A400 is a bit heavier also but not a real issue.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby fax6202 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:10 pm

After finally letting go of my pump guns I bought an extrema2 when it came out and hunted a ton with it before I bought the A400. Both are top notch guns, but the A400 is my favorite; I believe its the best semiauto waterfowl gun every made, but of course that's just my opinion. I shoot competitive sporting clays with it as well and Ive easily put 25, 000 rounds through it...only replacement was the recoil springs, not because of problems, but because of a recommendation from a lifelong beretta gunsmith
fax6202
hunter

Postby Edge » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 am

I just bought my second Xplor 400 yesterday if that says anything. Nothing wrong with the other one unless my daughter is hunting with me. I should do a commercial for Beretta, we will have four A400s in the blind this year. Hope the next one is free.
Edge
hunter

Postby max1982 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:05 pm

I guess I am the only one that has had a problem with my A400. Last year when hunting geese it wouldn't pick up the second shell thought is was just dirty so I took it apart and did a full clean job, and tried it the next day thought maybe it was the shells so I tried differant shells. Neither one of those fixed it so I called Beretta and they had me send it in, Beretta is great to work with had the gun back in less than 2 weeks still got the last week of goose season in with my Beretta. When I buy another shotgun it will be another A400 like it better then any shotgun I've ever shot and I own quit a few. Since getting it back I have probably shot close to 1500 rounds and had no issues. Hope this helps.

Max
max1982
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:18 am

max1982 wrote:I guess I am the only one that has had a problem with my A400. Last year when hunting geese it wouldn't pick up the second shell thought is was just dirty so I took it apart and did a full clean job, and tried it the next day thought maybe it was the shells so I tried differant shells. Neither one of those fixed it so I called Beretta and they had me send it in, Beretta is great to work with had the gun back in less than 2 weeks still got the last week of goose season in with my Beretta. When I buy another shotgun it will be another A400 like it better then any shotgun I've ever shot and I own quit a few. Since getting it back I have probably shot close to 1500 rounds and had no issues. Hope this helps.

Max

good to hear. i had a good experience when i sent my O/U in to beretta for some routine maintenance as well
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby bandchaser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 am

Got my A400 Extreme last week, 10 boxes through it last 3 days and no problems, best thing is my shoulder doesn't hurt at all. Gotta hold a little lower than I'm used to, but I'm finding my range,I'm pretty sure it's gonna cause a lot of death this season.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Edge » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm

bandchaser wrote:Got my A400 Extreme last week, 10 boxes through it last 3 days and no problems, best thing is my shoulder doesn't hurt at all. Gotta hold a little lower than I'm used to, but I'm finding my range,I'm pretty sure it's gonna cause a lot of death this season.

Shim it. It is a pain, but worth it.
Edge
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:15 am

My a400 xtreme did not come with any directions for how to shim etc. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some pics/info on it?

Thx!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Jfk1700 wrote:My a400 xtreme did not come with any directions for how to shim etc. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some pics/info on it?

Thx!

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=283529
quacknstack6 wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks!!

I did see that thread...but the kick off on my Xtreme is a little different? With the KO in the middle of the stock vs. butt? Can't seem to find a way to take the butt pad off.
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am

It's pretty hard to beat the Xtremas...I have 2 xtrema1 and one xtrema2 ...great guns. Just be sure to check out your POI on them. The xtremas are notorious for being off...and when I say off...I mean OFF..like 5"+. There was a defect with the xtrema2 that I ran into several times over the years with the "roll pin". After several hundred rounds they were breaking.

I have little experience with the a400s. Have run a few shells through one but have not actually hunted with one yet.

They are just like every other gun....they will work up to a certain point until they start malfunctioning. 95% of the malfunctioning an auto loader experiences is due to owner neglect aka not properly maintaining/cleaning!!! Some brands of guns have a larger threshold than others when it comes to cleaning/maintenance. Long story short, clean your gun after every use ...it seriously takes 15-20min tops. There's no excuse for not doing so....it's just pure laziness. If you're gonna spend that much money on something you better damn well take care of it
romeocadet08
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum