New A5 3.5" vs Maxus 3"

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New A5 3.5" vs Maxus 3"

Postby Jwrong83 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 pm

So I bought both of these guns a couple months ago at a deal. Figured I would give a review.

New A5 3.5" 26" barrel Max 4: Make sure you clean the factory grease out as mine was coated worse than any new gun I've ever purchased. So far I've shot it probably 500 times mostly trap loads. Shot probably a box of 3.5" and 3". No malfunctions. Kicks noticeable harder than the 3" A5 I had and ALOT more than the Maxus even with light loads. (The SBE2 I retired kicked less than the 3.5" version I currently have but the 3" A5 I had was much softer) Points and shoots true though. Very easy gun to get on target with. Patterns fabulous with a pure gold MOD choke. 95-100% patterns at 30 yds. Camo finish is above average. I like it. Very clean after shooting 500 rounds. Haven't cleaned it yet after intial cleaning.

Maxus 3" 28" barrel Mossy oak shadow grass blades: By far the best gun I've ever shot for me. (Shot a SBE 2 until I wore the spring out, and hunted with a versa max exclusively last year). I've shot this gun app 500 times also with no malfunctions of any kind. Virtually no kick with trap loads or 3" magnum loads. Love the gun. I put a Strangler Extra full choke in it and it throws the best patterns I've ever seen. Easily a 70yd gun with 00 buckshot For you Deer and coyote hunters. All duck loads I have put through it are phenomenal. I feel very confident at Long rang with this gun. From 30 yds to 60 yds the patterns don't really change. Ok enough about patterns more about the gun. Fit and finish are very good. This gun stays amazingly clean for a gas gun. Haven't cleaned it yet after initial cleaning.

Both guns are extremely reliable and very well made. Good job Browning. The Maxus is now the gun I will be taking in the blind.

Anyone have any idea why the 3.5 A5 kicks more than the 3" version???
Jwrong83
hunter

Re: New A5 3.5" vs Maxus 3"

Postby AronBlad23 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Since you have owned both...if you were going to buy an inertia action gun...A5 or SBEII?
AronBlad23
hunter

Postby Jwrong83 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 pm

AronBlad23 wrote:Since you have owned both...if you were going to buy an inertia action gun...A5 or SBEII?

SBE 2 everyday of the week 25,000 rounds and never a jam until the recoil spring gave out at approx th 25,000 mark and 3.5s would no longer work. Been under water, thrown off my truck, dropped from tree stand and abused. My last A5 3" jammed with 3" loads I took it back and exhanged for a Super Vinci but did not fit me well so I sold for the A5 3.5" to give browning another chance.
Jwrong83
hunter

Postby AronBlad23 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks...I'm in the market for a auto loader and am looking at both of these guns among a few others. I really liked the way the A5 felt when I shouldered it compared to the SBEII...but being a lefty shot the Benelli may be hard to pass on.
AronBlad23
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum