What is your gun,choke,and load for ducks this year?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: What is your gun,choke,and load for ducks this year?

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:59 pm

MarkM wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:Excell auto made in Turkey, extended IC choke, 7/8 oz of 4's at 1765 fps and 1 oz of 3's at 1650 fps. The 4 pattern is good to 45 yds and the 3 pattern to 50 yds. Ned S

An excell?? Did your mossberg with the large bore that patterns better than any gun ever made break in half?

I'll be 85 yrs old in Dec of this year and like the lighter guns because of age. I'll hunt ducks only twice during Christmas vacation and the Excell is a nice light handlilng gun. For dove I will use my Condor O/U. Last Christmas vacation with my Pastor Son here we killed are limit of mallards plus bonus ducks two days in a row and it was 10F at sun up. The Excell performed well. It also helped kill 32 Lessers. The dove are thick here already and I am ready. Dove shells, mosquito dope, dove spinners, stool, camo, colored glasses, thermos, gun and bucket are all ready. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Bakercountyboy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Vinci
Factory mod choke
Whatever 3inch #4 I find
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Postby docrobbins » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Beretta a400 xtreme
Trulock im
Kent 3" 2's
docrobbins
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:50 am

Jon Bergren wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:Excell auto made in Turkey, extended IC choke, 7/8 oz of 4's at 1765 fps and 1 oz of 3's at 1650 fps. The 4 pattern is good to 45 yds and the 3 pattern to 50 yds. Ned S

An excell?? Did your mossberg with the large bore that patterns better than any gun ever made break in half?

I'll be 85 yrs old in Dec of this year and like the lighter guns because of age. I'll hunt ducks only twice during Christmas vacation and the Excell is a nice light handlilng gun. For dove I will use my Condor O/U. Last Christmas vacation with my Pastor Son here we killed are limit of mallards plus bonus ducks two days in a row and it was 10F at sun up. The Excell performed well. It also helped kill 32 Lessers. The dove are thick here already and I am ready. Dove shells, mosquito dope, dove spinners, stool, camo, colored glasses, thermos, gun and bucket are all ready. Ned S

I see, well good luck this year hunting Jon.

We have quite a few dove around here already, just about to get ready to shred the sunflower field for them to be able to actually eat it.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm

BurninPowder wrote:It's early but I'd say I'll probably start the season with "old trusty" a Mod choked 12ga Wingmaster with some Federal 3s. Soon as the weather gets crappy and the hunting pressure increases I'll switch to my Versamax and some 3" Hevi-Metal 2s also choked Mod. Have a Pattern Master for the VM a buddy gave me but have yet to try it... It's a Ported Long Range. Anyone here use em? Is it worth wasting the shells and an afternoon at the pattern board? Just kinda skeptical..

I think the best choke they ever put out was the original, that one performed as advertised for me. However, I think a lot of that was due to the lack of all the high velocity loads back then. Most people who pattern PM chokes have shown they work very well with the more normal velocity loads 1200-1300 fps, and as you increase towards their 1550fps "limit" on the choke the patterns get less desirable. With nitro steel especially that choke would deliver a pretty dense, short shot string pattern and pretty long ranges.

I've since retired that gun/choke from waterfowling and shoot O/U's now. I have tried the PM extended range, do own the code black (haven't tried it yet), and it performs well, but IMO it's performance is no better/worse than a lot of the other chokes out there that don't cost as much. I really like it more for upland hunting than waterfowling currently. It did great the first half of duck season last year, then I switched it out for comparison, and didn't really see much difference.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Stoeger Longfowler O/U with M and IMO extended chokes. and because im feeling ballsy, ( and cheap when it comes to shells ) im going to try 7.5 shot. Im def. going to range pattern them before hand just to see there coverage. Otherwise federal 4 shot.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby ShotGunEd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:30 pm

SBE2 with Carlston extended LM, Kent #3 and #5
It's a good day for ducks to die...
ShotGunEd
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm

ShotGunEd wrote:SBE2 with Carlston extended LM, Kent #3 and #5

Excellent choice. Ned S :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 pm

SBEII with a Kicks Full choke and Kent Fast Steel #3 for ducks and BB for Geese
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 pm

SX 2 with long Brileys and Fed 3 1/2" Ultra Shock 2's, 11-87 with Hastings LM and Rem 3" Nitro 3's, SA-08 with Carlson extended waterfowl set and something at least 1550 fps.
Maybe my new 20 if we get some teal this year. :rolleyes:
z51
hunter

Postby BobM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 pm

This waterfowl season I will use my old Merkel 12bore 2 3/4in SXS choked LM/IM. Kent 2s and 3s, 1 1/8 load. They do very well to 40-45yds. Most all of my shots are there or closer.

Dove and early teal will be a Merkel 16bore with whatever 7.5s and 8s I have loaded for dove and handloads of 3s and 4s in steel for the teal.

Bob
BobM
hunter

Postby chop123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Browning Maxus 3 inch with PM choke extended range federal bbs or xpert bbs for everything,i dont kill many ducks.
chop123
hunter

Postby awc16 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Sbe2 with a kicks mod choke tube and Kent #2

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by awc16 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
awc16
hunter

Postby 007 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 am

Beretta 390
Factory IC
Kent Fasteel 4's
hunter

Postby Assault » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:46 am

Versamax 28" barrel
Standard Mod choke/ Timber choke
Remington Hyper sonic 3.5" #4
Last edited by Assault on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Kent Tungsten Matrix. Browning Superposed Twelve and Twenty gauges. Both fixed full/Modified. Both born the same year I was. We all turned 50 this year. Going to be a year for the books for me.

The Twenty

The Twelve

LTMFH
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 pm

Super Vinci with an over decoys Wad Wizard choke. Winchester 3" and 3.5" 2's for ducks, 3.5" BBB Supreme for geese. Also my Ithaca Mag 10 32" full choke Winchester Supreme in #2 and BBB. Should be a good year.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

[quote="LTMFH"]Kent Tungsten Matrix. Browning Superposed Twelve and Twenty gauges. Both fixed full/Modified. Both born the same year I was. We all turned 50 this year. Going to be a year for the books for me.

haha, glad to know im not alone when it comes to o/u for waterfowl. :beer: :thumbsup:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Just heading to cabelas so I will know very soon as to my new duck gun for this year. Assuming of course I can talk my wife into a new gun.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby sodfather » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 am

For me still not sure. I cant seem to find the best choke for my Vinci. I used a comp choke last year with heavy metal, worked ok. After hundreds of dollars spent on trying new chokes I still cant find a perfect set up.
sodfather
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Bakial MP 153 12 ga
Over decoys
Ducks 1oz #3 Carlsons LM
Goose 1oz Bs Carlsons LM
Snows 1 3/16oz Wilson Precision .690 Bs

Browning BPS 10ga

Long range Goose and snows 1 1/2oz BBB .720 Terror
Long range combo load 1 1/2oz 1s with .720 Terror.

All hand loads and this year all GAEP finnished....

Rob MacK
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Browning Gold 12ga 28in barrel in mossy oak shadow grass
Factory IC choke
Gonna try the some hypersonic's in 4 shot
Or an sbe2 with full choke, depends on which one its better for me
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 am

Camocynergy wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:It's early but I'd say I'll probably start the season with "old trusty" a Mod choked 12ga Wingmaster with some Federal 3s. Soon as the weather gets crappy and the hunting pressure increases I'll switch to my Versamax and some 3" Hevi-Metal 2s also choked Mod. Have a Pattern Master for the VM a buddy gave me but have yet to try it... It's a Ported Long Range. Anyone here use em? Is it worth wasting the shells and an afternoon at the pattern board? Just kinda skeptical..

I think the best choke they ever put out was the original, that one performed as advertised for me. However, I think a lot of that was due to the lack of all the high velocity loads back then. Most people who pattern PM chokes have shown they work very well with the more normal velocity loads 1200-1300 fps, and as you increase towards their 1550fps "limit" on the choke the patterns get less desirable. With nitro steel especially that choke would deliver a pretty dense, short shot string pattern and pretty long ranges.

I've since retired that gun/choke from waterfowling and shoot O/U's now. I have tried the PM extended range, do own the code black (haven't tried it yet), and it performs well, but IMO it's performance is no better/worse than a lot of the other chokes out there that don't cost as much. I really like it more for upland hunting than waterfowling currently. It did great the first half of duck season last year, then I switched it out for comparison, and didn't really see much difference.

Thanks CC. Went out and gave it a try the other day....definitely a passing choke. But produced some pretty dense patterns @ 35-45 yds with some generic 2s and 3s. May give it a try this season if the situation arises. :beer:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 am

Montgomery Wards, pump action, which I purchased from Mama Maybelline's, bait, tackle, pool hall, out Route 4, about 10 miles, in 1972., for $35. Mama wanted $50, she won it in a pool game. Mama passed last year., RIP Mama. The gun came with a 30" full choke, which I cut to 27" with a hack saw.
I have shot Cranes, crows, ducks, geese, quail, doves, possums, racoons Ditch Chickens (in Scotland) with it. Shot a Caribou in Nova Scotia with a slug load. Even shot Doves in Argentina, about 1863 of them critters. This past June I hunted with former VP **** Cheney, for Pythons in the Florida Everglades.
Favorite waterfowl load is #6's, whatever is on sale.

Regards
Arthur

PS:Forgot to mention, Mama also sold wicker furniture, right next to the night crawlers and slugs.
The gun is called a "Special Reserve, Super Special Presentation Grade"

Last edited by Art Vandelay on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is no unity in "diversity"

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 am

Remington 1100 2 3/4" Kent 1 1/8 or 1 1/16 3's or 4's fixed modified choke
870 Wingmaster same 2 3/4" load or 3" 1 1/4 3's Modified and imp cyl Depending on location

I have other guns that will see use but these will start my season.
blackduck_killer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum