Difference between Beretta A300 vs 3901

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Difference between Beretta A300 vs 3901

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:22 pm

In the market for another gun. These two keep coming up as two options as extremely reliable gas operated guns. Don't have any used 390's in the area so not gonna include it. What i wanted to know is; how are these guns different mechanically and fit/finsish? One better than the other? I've shouldered both but need a second time to nit pick how they fit me. Is the 300 as reliable,easy to clean, and made better than the 3901?
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Re: Difference between Beretta A300 vs 3901

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Little cosmetic variations and the gas system is similar to a 391 and based on the A400.

The 3901 12ga is a better choice IMHO, although either would be a great choice. I like the fact the 3901 has a very tunable gas system and the fact it needs no tools to disassemble.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 am

Ya know Cowboy, i've done some more research on both guns. Seems your right on the money about the gas systems. I wish there was a member on here who had "hands on" comparisons between the two. The 3901 seems to be the 390 system and from what i can find it is easier is to clean and less of a hassle although a little more maintenance. Heard the 391 is a bitch to clean but doesn't need to cleaned as often. Sort of a trade off? I know it should come to fit when comparing two good guns. Plan on looking at both. Anybody got something to add?
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby Scotty64 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I recently bought the Beretta A300 Camo. I had weighed the Beretta A300 and the Franchi affinity. Pretty similar in weight but the big difference was gas verse inertia. I got to shoot both. I liked the soft touch of the Beretta. The A300 is not real easy to clean and reassemble. It is very difficult to put the pin through the trigger assembly. The first time I picked up the Beretta and shot it at a Sporting Clays Tourney. I shot 34 out of 50. I cannot complain about the gun. We will see how the gun does this fall in cold weather.
Scotty64
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Columbia Basin Local wrote:Ya know Cowboy, i've done some more research on both guns. Seems your right on the money about the gas systems. I wish there was a member on here who had "hands on" comparisons between the two. The 3901 seems to be the 390 system and from what i can find it is easier is to clean and less of a hassle although a little more maintenance. Heard the 391 is a bitch to clean but doesn't need to cleaned as often. Sort of a trade off? I know it should come to fit when comparing two good guns. Plan on looking at both. Anybody got something to add?

At one point I had all 3, the 390/3901 is my favorite gas system. The 391 and A300 Outlander is a little trimmer but the trade off is the gas system. My BIL bought the Outlander to the nephew for hunting.

The only thing really on the 3 that needs to be concerned with is the gas ports, the gas valves by design on all three need very little if any maintenance. The real selling point for me is the tunability(sp?), with 5 different gas springs from Cole's, you can shoot everything from the heaviest 3" field load to the low recoil target loads simply be removing the magazine cap and popping in the correct spring.

They pretty much are adjustable to the same level, the 390/3901 is a little longer in the tooth than the other 2, but not enough to make a huge difference.

The 3901 is probably the perfect shotgun in 12 or 20, the profile of the 391 and the gas system of the 390. The A300 Outlander only has one gas port versus 2 on the 390/3901/391. It can also be finicky from the factory because of that also. It also shares the profile of the 391, one reason I gave it a try. Mine was made in Italy and I never had an issue with it and I don't think the nephew has either.

There was a picture comparison between the 3901 and Outlander over at Shotgun World, but I cannot find the link at the moment.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Just got to reading your response, much appreciated Cowboy! Thanks for taking the time to detail your opinion.
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum