SX3 20ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SX3 20ga

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Getting the black shadow version from a local gun store within the next week. The 12ga version fits and shoots very well for me. Am beyond excited. Anyone else on here have one? Seems like they're pretty hard to find. Only one gun store in town has them.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: SX3 20ga

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 am

Love mine. This will be season #2 with it. Its a smooth, soft shooting gun and once adjusted with shims fits very nicely.

Enjoy it man!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Very nice Shooters!!!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm

They must be good if hammer like's them :hi: they feel really long and not balanced very good to me .
cootlover
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:12 pm

cootlover wrote:They must be good if hammer like's them :hi: they feel really long and not balanced very good to me .

See young grasshopper you are finally learning! Myself and slayer do know best. :p :lol3:

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:50 pm

I bought a walnut-stocked 20ga. SX3 several months ago. It shoots well, but double-feeds about every tenth shot.
Pretty gun. Well-balanced. If it weren't for the double-feeding, I'd be in love.
mudpack
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm

mudpack wrote:I bought a walnut-stocked 20ga. SX3 several months ago. It shoots well, but double-feeds about every tenth shot.
Pretty gun. Well-balanced. If it weren't for the double-feeding, I'd be in love.

Have you thought about sending it to the factory? Or tried different ammo? Hopefully mine doesn't turn out like that.
From August 1st to Sept 15th there is a sales tax rebate on all Browning/Winchester firearms bought new...this will work out pretty good for me. :thumbsup:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Duck slayer 74 has one and it runs great.
cootlover
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Picked it up today, will get about $70 back with the rebate.
Wish there was more time, but we shot 4 boxes of cheap 7/8oz Federals from walmart through it. No ejection problems here...ejected them all about 12 feet away and no hiccups.
I also put one of the spacers in before shooting it, fits my 6'2" arm span perfectly now.
Picked up a green Truglo Longbead to replace the brass one on the way home, did the hair dryer trick and it worked like a charm. Of course it also helped since it was 95 degrees outside and there had just been 100 rounds fired through it.

The finish on it seems to be improved over the older 12ga SX3 I have used...the entire coating on the forearm and stock is textured instead of smooth. It's also self loading, or whatever the appropriate term is (automatically loads shell into chamber when inserted into magazine). The first time I put a round in the magazine with an empty chamber, kinda a surprise.
The only thing I can possibly complain about it is the loading gate has some sort of rough edges on it...you have to have the top of your thumb facing the the gun to avoid getting it jammed in there. Since the 12ga loading gate is larger it's probably not a problem with those models.

So far I am very satisfied and can't wait to shoot another half case through it this weekend. I will add a real review after the bird hunting seasons have been underway and it has been thoroughly tested in the field.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:31 am

20ga 2 3/4" 3/4oz 1470FPS #7 Fiocchi steel. 33 yards with factory Inv+ Mod. 256/316 or 81%. Should work good on the doves. Sufficient for closer ranges, yet I will still be able to take 40 yard shots.
Also going to try 2 3/4" 3/4oz Fiocchi #4s out of an extended Carlson Skeet choke this weekend, at 20-25 yards. That will be my teal combo. Might also try 3" 1oz #2 Dryloks at 35 yards with the factory mod...that's been my 20ga load for medium/big ducks in the past.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Update: 400-500 rounds of about 75% Walmart Federal 4 packs, the rest cheap Winchesters and miscellaneous rounds, have gone through it the last couple weeks with zero issues. I have also adapted to the right technique for loading the gun and it is not a problem anymore. Very fun gun to shoot, have been working on the most difficult angles with clay pigeons lately and the really mild recoil allows you to focus/figure out how to improve your shooting.
I will probably take it apart today and give it some oil at the very least, very little fouling and looks pretty clean still.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Did you get it at dicks? I've been talked into the sx3 recently as they had the 20 for $700 and the 12 for $750. The guns are awesome for the price but win/ Brownings customer service really stinks compared to most other mfgs I've dealt with.
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:05 pm

ErieAngler wrote:Did you get it at dicks? I've been talked into the sx3 recently as they had the 20 for $700 and the 12 for $750. The guns are awesome for the price but win/ Brownings customer service really stinks compared to most other mfgs I've dealt with.

Got it from Dong's (their customer service has done a 180 this year, I will start giving them my business once again), just received my sales tax rebate from Browning yesterday, $65.
The $700 at ****'s doesn't sound right...I guess there's a sale?
Due to their stance on the AR-15s I will never walk into one of their stores though.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:14 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Update: 400-500 rounds of about 75% Walmart Federal 4 packs, the rest cheap Winchesters and miscellaneous rounds, have gone through it the last couple weeks with zero issues. I have also adapted to the right technique for loading the gun and it is not a problem anymore. Very fun gun to shoot, have been working on the most difficult angles with clay pigeons lately and the really mild recoil allows you to focus/figure out how to improve your shooting.
I will probably take it apart today and give it some oil at the very least, very little fouling and looks pretty clean still.

please elaborate.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:17 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Update: 400-500 rounds of about 75% Walmart Federal 4 packs, the rest cheap Winchesters and miscellaneous rounds, have gone through it the last couple weeks with zero issues. I have also adapted to the right technique for loading the gun and it is not a problem anymore. Very fun gun to shoot, have been working on the most difficult angles with clay pigeons lately and the really mild recoil allows you to focus/figure out how to improve your shooting.

please elaborate.

On the 20ga version, your thumb will get pinched if it's stuck in sideways. Top of thumb has to be facing the gun/bottom of receiver.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sparelink » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Picked up a green Truglo Longbead to replace the brass one on the way home, did the hair dryer trick and it worked like a charm. Of course it also helped since it was 95 degrees outside and there had just been 100 rounds fired through it.

What is the hair dryer trick? I have lost 2 trugo already cause they keep falling off
sparelink
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:56 pm

sparelink wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Picked up a green Truglo Longbead to replace the brass one on the way home, did the hair dryer trick and it worked like a charm. Of course it also helped since it was 95 degrees outside and there had just been 100 rounds fired through it.

What is the hair dryer trick? I have lost 2 trugo already cause they keep falling off

Buy a screw in style bead, remove choke tube, heat end of barrel with hair dryer for about 30 seconds. It will loosen/expand/melt, or does something to the adhesive that the factory uses on the original bead. Get a pair of good pliers or vise grips (I bought a smaller pair from Lowe's with some really fine grooves on it), put a piece of cloth over bead to prevent scratches and allow better grip. Squeeze the hell out of it, one quarter to half turn should loosen it enough.
It has been a lot easier for me to remove the brass beads, but not the white beads. Although a white one is fine with me. I just don't like the dull brass ones because 30 minutes before LST, you have to search to see the end of the barrel and you're not gonna hit what you're aiming at...or trying to aim at.
I've seen a lot of people on here harp about how a sight isn't necessary, but you still have to be able to see where the end of the barrel is.
Also for good measure, before I complete the last turn with the replacement bead, I put a drop of gorilla glue on the bottom of the sight on each end.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:56 am

I'm shocked you're so up in arms about dicks over ar's ....... :huh: (i dont even know what thats all about but since were talking ar it doesnt surprise me) and then give business to a shop that totally capitalized on every soul it could during this last ammo arm scare. They jacked prices up 2-300% and preached Armageddon to customers.... Fong Wong dong can suck my dong! That's how I feel about that!

Yes dicks has them on Clearence for a dang good price.
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 am

ErieAngler wrote:I'm shocked you're so up in arms about dicks over ar's ....... :huh: (i dont even know what thats all about but since were talking ar it doesnt surprise me) and then give business to a shop that totally capitalized on every soul it could during this last ammo arm scare. They jacked prices up 2-300% and preached Armageddon to customers.... Fong Wong dong can suck my dong! That's how I feel about that!

Yes dicks has them on Clearence for a dang good price.

:lol3: I have never bought ammo from ding dongs, although I did hear about them jacking up the prices. I buy 100% of my ammo from either online or walmart. Pretty sure just about everyone raised their prices on ammo during the panic, except walmart.
For their shotguns and handguns, they have some of the best prices in town (usually) and they have products that no one else in the area has. When I called around trying to find a 20ga SX3, they were the only store that had any. I needed it before dove season, so I wasn't gonna order it through someone. Browning Hi Power, only store that had any, unless I wanted to wait 6+ months.
Earlier this year their customer service absolutely sucked, and I swore I'd never go in there again unless it was my only choice. Well, it was my only choice for the SX3 20ga, I went in there, and it turned out to be the best experience I've had buying a gun.
They also sell Ruger SR1911s for $660, people are selling them used on Armslist for $725+, other stores $800. So...you know where I'm gonna be buying that from when I'm ready.

About ****'s, they no longer sell AR-15 platforms and implemented that policy on impulse. Academy Sports also took them off the shelves and hid them, which I think they might still be doing.
Neither of these stores will be getting any of my business unless the small chance that they have something that's unavailable elsewhere.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 am

Cabelas, dicks, basspro, academy never raised ammo prices.....they just hardly ever had any. Mr fong Wong little dong was selling the cheap cci 100 rd 22 packs for $30' :hammer: . I don't neeeeeeed anything bad enough to step ft back in there unless maybe I find myself stuck in the ghetto needing a gun to make my way out.

Back to the sx3. Here's my issue I bought both a 20 and a 12. The 20 would not fire when I got it home and had to immediately send it into win/bowning for repair when I got it back my checkering was messed up and it really bugged me after calling them back to discuss it they wanted me to send it back again and said they would "look" at it. I requested they send me a replacement stock and i would send the damaged one in. i was told absolutely not and The manager I spoke said " how do I know when you got the gun back you didn't like the repair we did on the trigger and took the gun and swung it against the floor or wall" ???????? I was P'oed that he would say something so ridiculous. I still haven't sent it in because I wanted to make sure it was here for dove. The 12 has what looks like a scratch or tool mark in the barrel which is a fairly straight line about 6 inches long. I've never owned a gun that didn't have a perfect barrel but after reading some info on the net it sounds like it doesn't affect performance, patterning, etc so I have called. Kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth have 2 brand new guns with issues.
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:20 pm

ErieAngler wrote:Cabelas, dicks, basspro, academy never raised ammo prices.....they just hardly ever had any. Mr fong Wong little dong was selling the cheap cci 100 rd 22 packs for $30' :hammer: . I don't neeeeeeed anything bad enough to step ft back in there unless maybe I find myself stuck in the ghetto needing a gun to make my way out.

Back to the sx3. Here's my issue I bought both a 20 and a 12. The 20 would not fire when I got it home and had to immediately send it into win/bowning for repair when I got it back my checkering was messed up and it really bugged me after calling them back to discuss it they wanted me to send it back again and said they would "look" at it. I requested they send me a replacement stock and i would send the damaged one in. i was told absolutely not and The manager I spoke said " how do I know when you got the gun back you didn't like the repair we did on the trigger and took the gun and swung it against the floor or wall" ???????? I was P'oed that he would say something so ridiculous. I still haven't sent it in because I wanted to make sure it was here for dove. The 12 has what looks like a scratch or tool mark in the barrel which is a fairly straight line about 6 inches long. I've never owned a gun that didn't have a perfect barrel but after reading some info on the net it sounds like it doesn't affect performance, patterning, etc so I have called. Kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth have 2 brand new guns with issues.

For the first part - Well, ****'s and Ass Pro have always been overpriced on everything, including ammo. :lol3:
I'm pretty sure Cabelas has raised them at least a little bit because I have been checking on there for months to find 5.56/.223 ammo and I finally found some at a price I was willing to pay just recently.
You're right about Academy not gouging though. I just never went back into that store after I found out what they were doing with their AR-15s. Pretty pathetic and no backbone for a Texas based store.

Sounds like a really crappy experience with Browning...I've never had to deal with them, at least not yet.
I probably would've told him I was driving up to Utah and we'll see if he repeats that in person...
Anyway I fired another 50 through the 20ga today, no issues. Took it apart last week and oiled the moving parts.
So far so good, about 550-600 rounds through it. Maybe I just got lucky and happened on a good one.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:39 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
ErieAngler wrote:Cabelas, dicks, basspro, academy never raised ammo prices.....they just hardly ever had any. Mr fong Wong little dong was selling the cheap cci 100 rd 22 packs for $30' :hammer: . I don't neeeeeeed anything bad enough to step ft back in there unless maybe I find myself stuck in the ghetto needing a gun to make my way out.

For the first part - Well, ****'s and Ass Pro have always been overpriced on everything, including ammo. :lol3:
I'm pretty sure Cabelas has raised them at least a little bit because I have been checking on there for months to find 5.56/.223 ammo and I finally found some at a price I was willing to pay just recently.
You're right about Academy not gouging though. I just never went back into that store after I found out what they were doing with their AR-15s. Pretty pathetic and no backbone for a Texas based store.

Sounds like a really crappy experience with Browning...I've never had to deal with them, at least not yet.
I probably would've told him I was driving up to Utah and we'll see if he repeats that in person...
Anyway I fired another 50 through the 20ga today, no issues. Took it apart last week and oiled the moving parts.
So far so good, about 550-600 rounds through it. Maybe I just got lucky and happened on a good one.

Sounds like things are going good for you man. I was hoping to have some pattern pics as I just got my new extended IM and full tubes for mine but I had no un shot sheets of cardboard left. I had to just smoke a few clays instead.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:Sounds like things are going good for you man. I was hoping to have some pattern pics as I just got my new extended IM and full tubes for mine but I had no un shot sheets of cardboard left. I had to just smoke a few clays instead.

I would be interested in seeing how those work for you....the factory chokes have been satisfactory for me so far, but it's tempting to buy an extended IM and try it.
I did buy an extended SK for teal season and am very happy with that one.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:Sounds like things are going good for you man. I was hoping to have some pattern pics as I just got my new extended IM and full tubes for mine but I had no un shot sheets of cardboard left. I had to just smoke a few clays instead.

I would be interested in seeing how those work for you....the factory chokes have been satisfactory for me so far, but it's tempting to buy an extended IM and try it.
I did buy an extended SK for teal season and am very happy with that one.

When I get some more paper and time I will be sure to post up for you.

Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 am

Update: Performed flawlessly during the first month of dove and teal seasons, got it a little wet once and only cleaned it once.
Bad news, is the finish on the metal is poor (at least on the barrel). It will scratch from sneezing on it (I have the black shadow version, in case I didn't specify). But that is getting fixed right now, dropped it off at a local shop to get it factory style dipped...which I planned on doing eventually anyway.
The finish on the stock and forearm seemed to be good, improved over the earlier SX3 models.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum