SX3 20ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: SX3 20ga

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:54 am

mudpack wrote:I bought a walnut-stocked 20ga. SX3 several months ago. It shoots well, but double-feeds about every tenth shot..

Think I found the problem. The magazine spring is 3 times longer than the tube it fits in. This is far longer than any other magazine gun I own. For instance, the mag spring in my 20ga BPS is only 18" long; 1.5X the length of the magazine. The SX3 is 31" long. I cut 8" off the long spring and reassembled it.
Went pigeon hunting last Wednesday, fired 104 rounds and had not one double feed. It fed the last shells in the magazine just fine, as well. I'm hoping that cures the problem for good.
mudpack
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 am

mudpack wrote:
mudpack wrote:I bought a walnut-stocked 20ga. SX3 several months ago. It shoots well, but double-feeds about every tenth shot..

Think I found the problem. The magazine spring is 3 times longer than the tube it fits in. This is far longer than any other magazine gun I own. For instance, the mag spring in my 20ga BPS is only 18" long; 1.5X the length of the magazine. The SX3 is 31" long. I cut 8" off the long spring and reassembled it.
Went pigeon hunting last Wednesday, fired 104 rounds and had not one double feed. It fed the last shells in the magazine just fine, as well. I'm hoping that cures the problem for good.

Maybe the factory cuts sections of coils, cut that one too long, and just stuck it in??
Hopefully you figured it out for good. At the moment the frame/barrel/stock of mine is getting dipped, with the hardware at home. When I get it back, before I reassemble it I'll measure the mag spring and see what I get.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Mudpack, my magazine spring is 30" long. Measured it a few hours ago.

Just got it back from being dipped yesterday, here's how it turned out.
BPS in MODB for comparison...I think it looks quite a bit better than MODB. King's Field, a custom pattern from the local shop I had it dipped at.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:26 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Mudpack, my magazine spring is 30" long..

Thanks, shooter. Looks like Winchester just likes extremely long mag springs......
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum