Beretta pintail / es100 / benelli premium as duck gun?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta pintail / es100 / benelli premium as duck gun?

Postby Bearflight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at a benelli premium plus in the uk, which is also known as a beretta es100 or pintail in the US.
I know it's made in Spain so not an Italian benelli.

I'm wanting a new s/a for duck hunting so it would be fed a regular diet of 3" steel. Are they up to this kind of use? I shouldered one the other day and whilst it fit me well, it seemed a little light and dainty.

What d'ya think?
Bearflight
Newb

Re: Beretta pintail / es100 / benelli premium as duck gun?

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:58 pm

They are nice guns my brother hunts one in our group and it holds up well. He runs 3" only in it including goose loads. It holds up but I don't think its as reliable as an Italian 390. If you get it for the right price it would be worth it. If you can get it under $500 its worth it. Anything more and I would have to look more towards a 390 or a new franchi affinity.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Bearflight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:13 pm

I wish they were 500 in the uk!! We tend to have pay a lot more than you guys for guns. It's about £725 over here so about $1100
Bearflight
Newb

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Well,
I'm really going to shock you, but as I would tell anyone here in the US, go for the top of the line even if it makes you squirm a bit in the short term, because a good gun is forever.
Get the Beretta A400 Xtreme, Browning Maxus, or if you're tough enough to have your middle finger chewed off and not mind......the Benelli SBEII.
I have the A400 Xtreme myself, and I can't pass by the gun cabinet without a smile.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby BobM » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:44 pm

I have two conflicting stories about the ES100..Had a good friend, now deceased, who used a Pintail for all of his waterfowling. Nothing but praise came from his lips about the gun. He shot it for many seasons and upon his death a grandson continued the tradition with the gun and does so to this day.

I bought a used ES100 just before last season based upon my friend's experience. Gun looked as new and handled very nice but I had nothing but trouble with it. Factory or reload, 2 3/4 or 3in, lead or steel, I never got through a full magazine of shells without a failure to feed and/or fire! I call myself knowledgeable about firearms and did all I could to no avail.

Sold it to a friend who wanted to try to fix it................he is still trying.

BobM
BobM
hunter

Postby Bearflight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm torn between that, an sx3 or an outlander. They're all a similiar price here but all have good and bad points. The benelli is cheap,comes with 5 chokes, hard case and 5 year warranty but it's light and reviews a few and far between. The outlander is solid, reviews are good but in the uk it only comes with 1 choke so more expense to buy more. The sx3 is over bored for steel shot, comes with 3 chokes but has less warranty than the others and the piston spring issue worries me.

I do love a dilemma!
Bearflight
Newb

Postby Normmcclean » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 am

If you can buy a sx3 or outlander for anything close to the price of an es100 I would take the newer guns in a heart beat. The es100 is aasin to unload and the reason guys have problems with them is they are shipped out in a sticky protect ant grease that needs to be compleatly stripped down before you use it. Then apply light oil coat. The es100 was good in its time but the new guns are far superior in reliability especially for the price you are going to shell out
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby mjk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I own one, it is as reliable as any gun I've owned.

Only shortcoming is a weak factory action spring, which accounts for most complaints. Fix it, and your golden. As easy a gun to clean, as anything on the market. Receiver breaks down into 2 - like a SBE for cleaning. Light inertia gun, but it doesn't kick any worse than any other gun I've shot.
mjk
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum